PDA

View Full Version : Use without PC?

Om_Audio
2005-12-01, 04:16
Can it be used without a PC? I have been looking for something like this that I could travel with and just have a firewire drive and the device to play tunes.

O

DrNic
2005-12-01, 04:30
Can it be used without a PC? I have been looking for something like this that I could travel with and just have a firewire drive and the device to play tunes.

O

Well, sort of!
You need slimserver to be running on a "device". That device can be a NAS with an embedded server (ie low powered computer). Some folks have had some success running slimserver on Linkstations. Etc

Please search the fora for related topics, they have cropped up a few times now!

Nic

PS you'd also need a power supply for the devices if were really trying to be portable. If you just mean a way to take your music to a friends house/ away on holiday then ignore this bit!! :)

audiofi
2005-12-01, 04:49
You could also look out for an old small laptop on ebay etc. (one of the ultra-small ones) and then plug a USB drive into it.

Andrew

dropbear
2005-12-02, 01:58
Slimdevices has recently launched SqueezeNetwork, which allows your SB3 to connect to thier copy of slimserver and let you play internet radio stations. SO, when you are travelling you will need to hook the SB3 up to an internet gateway device (router/modem) and then when the SB3 starts up and doesn't detect a local copy of slimserver running it will attempt to connect to the public version.

Pete