PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox getting 'wierd' IP address?

bstark73
2005-11-30, 20:36
Hi,

As posted separately, i do have probs with my wireless signal strength. However, i have noticed a couple of times now the squeezebox losing connection and then when i try to re-connect again; i check the settings and see that the squeezebox has some very strange settings:
- IP address not in my private subnet, 192.168.x.x
- mask 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0
- can't quite remember if gateway or dns were screwed up also.

I have seen this several times on 2 different scenearios:
- when i was using my internet connection as normal,
- when i was connected via VPN to my work network.

Has anyone else seen this issue? The only way i can fix it is to do a factory reset and force it to get back basic settings (ie the mask) that will allow it to see IP addresses within my subnet. Very annoying.

Also, i have quite a few (atleast 3) other networks that i can see within my house which is wierd because i am in an old brick house, but whatever! I do think an improvement for the device though would be that you specify it to only connect to your particular SSID and to save that setting and that's it unless you specifically change it. I get the feeling that sometimes depending on wireless connections etc, it is getting confused and looking for settings on other networks.

Comments?

Brett.

radish
2005-11-30, 20:41
Most likely what you are seeing is the results of a failed DHCP transaction - the "weird" IP would be an automatic one. There are a number of reasons the DHCP may have failed, it's worth investigating what's happening.

As for your last point, in my experience the SB only ever tries to connect to the SSID you tell it to use.

dean
2005-11-30, 20:44
What IP address did it get set to? Was it a 169.254. address? If
so, then the player was unable to get an IP address from your DHCP
server.

Tell us more about your network.

On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:36 PM, bstark73 wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> As posted separately, i do have probs with my wireless signal
> strength.
> However, i have noticed a couple of times now the squeezebox losing
> connection and then when i try to re-connect again; i check the
> settings and see that the squeezebox has some very strange settings:
> - IP address not in my private subnet, 192.168.x.x
> - mask 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0
> - can't quite remember if gateway or dns were screwed up also.
>
> I have seen this several times on 2 different scenearios:
> - when i was using my internet connection as normal,
> - when i was connected via VPN to my work network.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue? The only way i can fix it is to do a
> factory reset and force it to get back basic settings (ie the mask)
> that will allow it to see IP addresses within my subnet. Very
> annoying.
>
> Also, i have quite a few (atleast 3) other networks that i can see
> within my house which is wierd because i am in an old brick house, but
> whatever! I do think an improvement for the device though would be
> that
> you specify it to only connect to your particular SSID and to save
> that
> setting and that's it unless you specifically change it. I get the
> feeling that sometimes depending on wireless connections etc, it is
> getting confused and looking for settings on other networks.
>
> Comments?
>
> Brett.
>
>
> --
> bstark73
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> bstark73's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=2419
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18676
>
>

JJZolx
2005-11-30, 22:33
What IP address did it get set to? Was it a 169.254. address? If
so, then the player was unable to get an IP address from your DHCP
server.
Can anyone answer why, when the Squeezebox is unable to connect to the wireless network, it then moves on to the "Retrieving IP Address" (or similar wording) part of the setup instead of showing a message of "Can't connect to wireless network"?

I set up a new, randomly generated, 63 character WPA key (which is a bitch to enter using the SB remote) on my access point the other day. It took me a long time and many tries where the SB went into that 20 second countdown to get an address and then showed a 168.254.x.x IP address. Eventually I realized that the problem wasn't with the DHCP, but that the Squeezebox was never authenticating with the access point. Going through the WPA key with a fine toothed comb fixed the authentication problem.

This needs to be fixed. I assume that the Squeezebox knows whether or not it successfully connects with the wireless network, including the authentication?

dannyg
2005-11-30, 23:05
JJZolx,

I had the exact same problem you described, until I Disabled Advanced 108Mbps Features on my NETGEAR WGT624.

Here is the NETGEAR description of Disabling Advanced 108Mbps Features....
"If disabled, the Wireless Router will disable data compression, packet bursting and large frame support."

Even when I use a MODE of "g only", it will assign an IP address ONLY if I check the "Disable Advanced 108Mbps Features" box under ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS.

see post #60 here for more details...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18120&page=6

bstark73
2005-12-01, 07:47
1. i don't use 'turbo' mode - i have turned that off on my linksys wrt54gs AP.

2. as for the question from slim devices, yes i believe it was either a 169.254 or 168.254 address the box got...so you're saying dhcp failed??..if dhcp failed, why would the box write these parameters into it's settings therefore needing a hard reset to get back onto my network.

as for my network, currently my PC is hardwired via a LAN port (ethernet) to my AP and my AP streams wireless to the slim box. It is a little way a way, so i do have some probs with signal strength...the slim server always reports 'bad' signal strength...averages around 25-30%, however most of the time i don't notice any problems with playing music....I could look at improving this by moving my AP, however (as posted in another post); 1 think that i think is a problem is that laptops in my house all report excellent signal strenght and show 4-5 bars, whilst the slim box in the same room seems to think it is bad...

radish
2005-12-01, 07:54
I assume that the Squeezebox knows whether or not it successfully connects with the wireless network, including the authentication?
I think that's the wrong assumption. When you're looking at WEP/WPA you're looking at encryption keys. The only way to know if you have a correct key or not is to try and communicate and see if it works. The DHCP exchange is that first communication, so it's probably then that the failure is first noted. The "connecting to network" stage is simply associating with the AP, which basically any client can do whether or not it has the keys.

(Note: if someone who knows the handshake procedure in more detail wants to correct me, please do!).

JJZolx
2005-12-01, 10:35
I think that's the wrong assumption. When you're looking at WEP/WPA you're looking at encryption keys. The only way to know if you have a correct key or not is to try and communicate and see if it works. The DHCP exchange is that first communication, so it's probably then that the failure is first noted. The "connecting to network" stage is simply associating with the AP, which basically any client can do whether or not it has the keys.

(Note: if someone who knows the handshake procedure in more detail wants to correct me, please do!).
Hey, I've been wrong before. :-)

I don't know the procedure either, but it's hard for me to fathom a protocol where the client isn't told whether or not it has successfully supplied the correct key.

MrC
2005-12-01, 10:56
IP messages are not the way a client knows its encryption keys are valid. A station is first Unauthenticated and Unassociated. The authentication mechanism must be passed successfully (in shared mode, by using a challenge/response encoded with the WEP key). Only after this succeeds can a client move to Authenticated, but it is still Unassociated (not a peer or the wireless network). DHCP cannot take place yet. Once the AP allows the association, the client is then Authenticated and Associated.

The validity of WEP keys is not confirmed via the first DHCP broadcast, or any IP traffic for that matter. It is the other way around; only with valid keys can a client complete the authenticate and associate process, and this is required before IP traffic flows.