PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Setup

Dave_65
2005-11-30, 15:50
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying one of these slimdevices. My pc is going to feed my a/v system in that it will serve music. My preferred player is foobar at the moment and I was wondering if the slim software is even required?

Tagging of all my albums is done and I dont want them changed. Does this slim software write to tags or does it just read them?

I read elsewhere that the music has to be in one directories, does this mean that all my mp3s have to be in one folder or can there be folders of each album within this one directory?

My pc is located about 30 feet from my living room and I dont currently own a wireless router, but I have a linksys router. Can I simply run an ethernet cable from the pc to the slimdevice?

cheers,
Dave

audiofi
2005-11-30, 15:54
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying one of these slimdevices. My pc is going to feed my a/v system in that it will serve music. My preferred player is foobar at the moment and I was wondering if the slim software is even required?

Tagging of all my albums is done and I dont want them changed. Does this slim software write to tags or does it just read them?

I read elsewhere that the music has to be in one directories, does this mean that all my mp3s have to be in one folder or can there be folders of each album within this one directory?

My pc is located about 30 feet from my living room and I dont currently own a wireless router, but I have a linksys router. Can I simply run an ethernet cable from the pc to the slimdevice?

cheers,
Dave

1) Yes, you still need the slimserver software to stream to the player

2) It just reads the tags, no problem there

3) Folders within a folder (like yours) isn't a problem, it will read them. Also if you have folders outside the main folder with tracks in, just put a shortcut to the folder from the main one.

4) Yes, a standard ethernet cable will be fine (and cheaper as you can get a wired SB3)

Andrew