Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phicar2
    • Nov 2005

Nokia 770 network set up advice needed

After wavering between the squeezebox and sonos (because of the remote) I decided to go squeezebox after learning about the Nokia 770 option to use as a remote:

I placed an order for a 770 and am told I’ll be receiving it in January (or thereabouts). So I am trying to plan out the best set up. I just bought 2 SB3s, one I have attached to my home theatre set up (after turning off the super g functionality of my Dlink router it works great) and one which I will attach to my built in receiver attached to the speakers that are built into my house in about 4 rooms. My house is kind of spread out so my router doesn’t reach wirelessly to the whole house (does reach the first squeezebox at 70% signal) and won’t make it to the receiver downstairs. So my initial plan was to run some Cat5 to where my second squeezebox would be and then hook up the squeezebox. Then I thought I could use the squeezebox as a wireless bridge for my Nokia to serve as the remote. Will this work? Can the Nokia communicate wirelessly through the squeezebox that it will control?

Second option: run Ethernet cable to the location of the second squeezebox downstairs but instead hook it into a wireless AP (sitting essentially next to the squeezebox) and have the squeezebox connect wirelessly; and the Nokia will also obviously connect to my network via this AP.

Third option: run two Ethernet cables to the location of the second squeezebox downstairs and hook the squeezebox into the network via one of the Ethernet cables. Then hook up an AP with the second Ethernet cable that would be responsible for connecting the Nokia to my network. The only reason I could even see doing this would be performance benefit of having the squeezebox attached via cable and not sharing the Ethernet cable back to the server.

Basically, I’m looking for the best performance for my squeezebox and the nokia. Obviously the cheapest option is number 1 (no new hardware needed, just need to run Cat5). Options 2 and 3 cost essentially the same because of the AP needed (the second run of Ethernet cable for option 3 would cost more as well) but I would think would result in best performance for everything (squeezebox connected via wired Ethernet and AP dedicated to the Nokia and not sharing an Ethernet cable back to the server. However, I just don’t know if that is true. Obviously if you have read this far you will realize I’m a networking newb so any advice or practical knowledge would be appreciated!
  • ron thigpen
    • Apr 2005

Nokia 770 network set up advice needed

I'd recommend option 2, with modification. Instead of a raw AP, get one
    that has a built-in switch. Use the AP wireless for the 770 and wire
    the SB3 to switch. Best of both worlds with only one cable run.

--rt

Comment

• phicar2
      • Nov 2005

Sounds like a great idea. Is it true then that there is no performance gains to be had by having the 770 and SB "attached" to the network using different cables (option 3)? If not then I'd say your suggestion is the best.

Comment

• ron thigpen
        • Apr 2005

Re: Nokia 770 network set up advice needed

phicar2 wrote:
        > Sounds like a great idea. Is it true then that there is no performance
        > gains to be had by having the 770 and SB "attached" to the network
        > using different cables (option 3)? If not then I'd say your suggestion
        > is the best.

The only two items that are potentially performance related that come
        immediately to mind are bandwidth saturation and network trip distance.
        I think you should be OK on either of these accounts using the modifed
        option 2.

The SB will be attached by Cat5, presumably running at 100Mbps back to
        the server. Plenty of bandwith here. The 770 will only be making web
        requests over the AP's wireless link and then the shared Cat5 run. Web
        traffic for simple pages should be _very_ light and should not come
        close to taxing the AP's wireless bandwidth. Especially if the AP
        speaks 802.11g and the 770 is the only wireless client.

As to network distance, all the pieces are very close to one another.
        And all this traffic will be making round trips from two clients (SB and
        770) to the server. They won't be making requests directly of one
        another. And if you are using the AP/Switch as a wired switch (not a
        NATing router, not using it's DHCP) then all the devices are in the same
        LAN (address space).

Performance should be excellent.

--rt

Comment

Working...