PDA

View Full Version : Happy 10,000th to Me!!!!

Craig
2005-11-30, 09:18
Just finished ripping the CD's I bought yesterday and I'm now over the 10,000 song mark, and all from my own cd's too :-)

Here's to the next 10,000

Craig

gjrhine
2005-11-30, 09:28
So that is about 10,000 US dollars in CDs? You are keeping the music industry alive single handedly!

Jim
2005-11-30, 09:38
So that is about 10,000 US dollars in CDs? You are keeping the music industry alive single handedly!
No it's worse than that.

I see Craig is from the UK, which means he's maybe spent about 18,000 US Dollars at today's prices on CD's if he bought all his CD's from internet places such as cdwow.com that the music industry want to shut down because they sell "grey market" CD's cheaply to consumers.

Say he got them from HMV or Our Price and he maybe spent $25,000.

Considering some are probably double albums, ridiculously priced box-sets and albums from dead rock stars I wouldn't be suprised if it's over $30,000.

Still well done to you Craig, don't let me criticism of the music industry ruin your accomplishment and example of patience. I hope you ripped lossless with EAC, but trust me when I say that like sexual conquests at some point you do stop counting.....

Craig
2005-11-30, 10:23
well obviously the older ones were bought from shops and more recently about 50/50 shops and internet. I still like to browse the racks and since the action brought against CDWow they and Play are not as cheap as they were.

It sounds like a lot of money when you add it up but I've probably spent less on CD's than a smoker spends on their habit.

Oh and I stopped counting a long time ago - I just don't have a database for my sexual conquests ;-)

Craig

radish
2005-11-30, 10:30
I passed 10,000 a while ago, my next milestone is 900 albums (coming up soon). Yes it's a lot of money, but music is important to me, more so than pretty much anything else. All the CDs are insured, along with $15k worth of vinyl. One day I'll get around to ripping that...

Craig
2005-11-30, 10:53
Well according to the wonderfull CATraxx it adds up to

Description Value
-------------------------------------------
# of albums 838
# of tracks 10,465
Total price 9,412.36
Avg. # of tracks per album 12.5

Total playing time 773h 10m 25s

But that's my collection not what's on my Slimserver - a few of them are not worth the disk space :-)

And Radish, I'd wait till you retire to do the vinyl - I've done a few and it's a real chore

Craig

Jim
2005-11-30, 11:01
I just don't have a database for my sexual conquests ;-)
Now there's an idea :D Beter first read up on mySQL record-count limitations..... ;)

Well according to the wonderfull CATraxx...
:D You're not Doug from the CATraxx forums are you :D

Craig
2005-11-30, 11:34
:D You're not Doug from the CATraxx forums are you :D

No I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Doug and I do listen to em ;-)

Craig

2005-11-30, 11:37
Keep it up, I'm up to 1279CDs, I own and about 28000 Flac files. Nothing
like owning your own stuff

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:19 AM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Happy 10,000th to Me!!!!

Just finished ripping the CD's I bought yesterday and I'm now over the
10,000 song mark, and all from my own cd's too :-)

Here's to the next 10,000

Craig

--
Craig
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Craig's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=96
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18659

tom permutt
2005-11-30, 11:45
And Radish, I'd wait till you retire to do the vinyl - I've done a few and it's a real chore
Craig
It's not as bad as all that, for me anyway. I have a Sony CD recorder in the audio rack. It's not much more trouble than playing the LP, and then you can do whatever you usually do with CDs.

I do find it's more trouble than it's worth to split a side into tracks, though, so I just have one big track per side. That's the way I listen to them, anyway. Much of what I listen to isn't exactly "songs," and I don't feel a great need for mixed playlists. YMMV.

Khuli
2005-12-01, 02:29
Splitting into tracks, I find the easy bit.. just a few seconds work.

The tedious bit with recording from vinyl is playing it first to set the volume level (max volume but avoiding clipping), then playing it again to record it, then playing it a third time to de-click the waveform.

So... a minimum of 2 hours per album.. more like 3 with other assorted checks and interruptions. Needless to say I gave up doing it when I discovered allofmp3.com which means I don't have to rip my copies.