PDA

View Full Version : Multi-disc album and track order displayed in slimserver

trebejo
2005-11-29, 22:05
Ok, I feel a bit lame because I'm sure this has been answered before. A run through the forum search didn't quite land here though, so off I go.

I get an album with several CDs. I flac them, I tag 'em, and they sit in the directory. Sometimes the directory structure is

dirname/*.flac

sometimes it's

dirname/N/*.flac

where N is the disc number as a single digit. Since I assume that slimserver doesn't care about where the files reside, but only about the tags as they are applied to each individual track, I don't bother to distinguish between the above scenarios.

After careful scrutiny of the tags used, I am rather certain that I have the same album name for a collection of tracks, and each track has a track number and a disc number. This is a monomorphism--i.e. each track has a distinct pair of track and disc numbers. You know, exactly the sensible thing to do.

Alas, slimserver... well, when I go to "Browse Albums" and click on one of these multidisc babies, and then I get the track listing, I get one of three things:

1. Exactly what I want: Tracks in the order 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ..., 2.1, 2.2, ... where the leading digit is the disc number. So it sorts first by disc, then by track;

2. The other numerical order you might imagine: 3.1, 2.1, 1.1, 3.2, 2.2, 1.2, ...

3. A bizarre one, an example of which is displayed in the graphic below: random sort by disc, then sort by track;

http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

In that example for the third way, the files are stored in the dirname/*.flac manner, with several tracks sharing the same "0n" start in their filename. When I look at their flac tags, however, the track number is the same but the disc number is as it should be--and slimserver uses that information but uses it in an excessively interesting manner.

Try as I might, I don't see where in the preferences or server settings one can select the order in which tracks are displayed. This seems rather strange, actually; I would expect that setting to be somewhere but I can't find it and I've looked. If it's there, please embarrass me a little bit and tell me where it is; I'll get over it.

Cheers,

Ariel

dSw
2005-11-30, 15:08
I am getting similar problems. I have my multi-disc albums in seperate directories, and tagged with the same "ALBUM" but different "DISCNUMBER" values.

When browsing in the web interface I get tracks displayed in the following order (for a 5-disc compilation):

5-1
4-1
3-1
2-1
1-1
5-2
4-2
3-2
2-2
1-2

It think this is a bug rather than a configuration setting to be honest.. and I think I read as much in another post in the tagging forum.

kdf
2005-11-30, 15:12
Quoting dSw <dSw.1zbymo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I am getting similar problems. I have my multi-disc albums in seperate
> directories, and tagged with the same "ALBUM" but different
> "DISCNUMBER" values.

what version of the server are you running. This was a reent bug and
should be
fixed in 6.2.2 nightly builds.

-kdf

AndyWright
2005-11-30, 15:45
I am seeing this too with albums that have various artists. The tracks seem be be listed alphabetically by Artist name.

I'm running 6.2.2 - 5325 on Linux.

I can get the tracks to show in the correct order if I do the following;

Under Server Settings, Behaviour, set "compilations" to "group compilation albums together". Then when I browse by Artist, Various Artists, <Album name>, the tracks are in the correct order.

If I browse through Albums, <Album Name> then the sort order is wrong.

Dan Sully
2005-11-30, 15:51
* AndyWright shaped the electrons to say...

>I am seeing this too with albums that have various artists. The tracks
>seem be be listed alphabetically by Artist name.
>
>I'm running 6.2.2 - 5325 on Linux.

Andy - can you send me your slimserversql.db file?

And the name of an album that is having issues?

dan | at | slimdevices.com

Thanks.

-D
--
Minds are like parachutes... they work best when open.

AndyWright
2005-11-30, 16:21
sure - I'll trim down the contents first to keep it small...

AndyWright
2005-11-30, 16:57
db sent to you Dan.

For a compilation album of various artists the track ordering is wrong if I browse by album. Browsing by Artist, Various Artists shows the order correctly.

For a multi-cd, single artist compilation the ordering is correct using either browse path.

dSw
2005-12-01, 01:34
Quoting dSw <dSw.1zbymo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
what version of the server are you running. This was a reent bug and
should be
fixed in 6.2.2 nightly builds.

That would explain it then - I'm running 6.2.1.

thanks