PDA

View Full Version : Music File organization

Bruce S.
2005-11-29, 18:51
I am a brand new squeezebox sb3 guy. I won't get my unit for a while but while I am waiting, I am wondering about some things. The main thing is that I am a classical music guy and worry about how tracks from classical albums will be managed. Is this question more about how I rip music, or about the Slimdevices server software? As you know, a symphony expects to be played in track order, and I am worried that it may be sorted alphabetically, or something.

Any one have any input for me?

Regards

JJZolx
2005-11-29, 19:21
I am a brand new squeezebox sb3 guy. I won't get my unit for a while but while I am waiting, I am wondering about some things. The main thing is that I am a classical music guy and worry about how tracks from classical albums will be managed. Is this question more about how I rip music, or about the Slimdevices server software? As you know, a symphony expects to be played in track order, and I am worried that it may be sorted alphabetically, or something.

Any one have any input for me?
If you just set the track number tags in the correct order then the playback order should be correct. Whether this is the track number on the CD or the track number within the classical work doesn't really matter. You may also want to incorporate the track number into the actual file name (using two-digits - 01, 02... 09, 10, 11...) so that if you view a directory listing on your computer, then the tracks will be listed in the expected order.

I've yet to rip my (meager) collection of classical CDs, realizing that I don't know where to begin when it comes to organizing it. I'll probably want to organize it into "works" rather than albums, but don't yet know how I'll set up the directory structure with regard to composers, performers, directors, etc. It's probably going to take some experimenting before I find something I'm comfortable with.

Bruce S.
2005-11-29, 20:29
Thanks Jim,

I guess maybe I should download the slimdevices server software and check it out. Maybe some of this will become more clear to me.

How do you like the sound of your system using the Squeezebox?

Regards

ceejay
2005-11-30, 00:43
First, yes you should certainly download slimserver and try it out with softsqueeze.

Second, squeezeboxes sound great!

Third, tagging classical music can be a pain! Here is a thread on these forums which I found helpful while I was getting my head round it, but if you search (try "tagging classical") you will find other threads on the topic.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=12914&highlight=tagging+classical

Regards

Ceejay