PDA

View Full Version : Pandora.com



kdf
2005-11-29, 13:44
Quoting nicketynick <nicketynick.1za00z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Just discovered Pandora.com. Any suggestions for how this can be
> streamed to the Squeezebox? It seems to play directly from a Flash
> application in their webpage.
> If not, does Squeezenetwork have something similar?
> If you haven't checked out pandora.com, do it - you basically create
> your own custom radio station!
>
a very simple seach of the forums using the word 'pandora' will reveal all
previous discussions:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?searchid=90295

-kdf

nicketynick
2005-11-29, 13:44
Just discovered Pandora.com. Any suggestions for how this can be streamed to the Squeezebox? It seems to play directly from a Flash application in their webpage.
If not, does Squeezenetwork have something similar?
If you haven't checked out pandora.com, do it - you basically create your own custom radio station!

patrick
2005-11-29, 13:49
We too share your enthusiasm for Pandora.

All I can say is that I've been friends with the founder for years. You are
welcome to read between the lines. :-)

Patrick


On 11/29/05 12:44 PM, "nicketynick"
<nicketynick.1za00z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Just discovered Pandora.com. Any suggestions for how this can be
> streamed to the Squeezebox? It seems to play directly from a Flash
> application in their webpage.
> If not, does Squeezenetwork have something similar?
> If you haven't checked out pandora.com, do it - you basically create
> your own custom radio station!
>

---
Patrick Cosson
V-P, Sales & Marketing
Slim Devices, Inc.
415-359-7407 cell
413-638-5248 efax

"The Squeezebox is made by people who truly love digital music, and powered
by open-source software that plays almost any music or internet radio
format...It looks gorgeous."

Hot Stuff | STUFF UK online | 25 Oct 2005

nicketynick
2005-11-29, 14:01
Thanks kdf and patrick (the usual suspects)!
Sorry for jumping off without looking in my eagerness - I can hardly contain myself!

Steve Baumgarten
2005-11-29, 15:32
> We too share your enthusiasm for Pandora.
>
> All I can say is that I've been friends with the founder for years. You are
> welcome to read between the lines. :-)

Wow, I just tried it out. It's got a super nice, super simple,
flash-based interface -- just hit the home page, enter an artist you
like, off you go.

And it streams at 128kbps so the quality is pretty decent.

http://www.pandora.com

I'll be listening!

And maybe in the future on my SB? Right? Hope, hope, hope... ;-)

SBB







Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.

patrick
2005-11-29, 16:20
Define "future" ;-)

Patrick


On 11/29/05 2:32 PM, "Steve Baumgarten" <sbb (AT) panix (DOT) com> wrote:

>> We too share your enthusiasm for Pandora.
>>
>> All I can say is that I've been friends with the founder for years. You are
>> welcome to read between the lines. :-)
>
> Wow, I just tried it out. It's got a super nice, super simple,
> flash-based interface -- just hit the home page, enter an artist you
> like, off you go.
>
> And it streams at 128kbps so the quality is pretty decent.
>
> http://www.pandora.com
>
> I'll be listening!
>
> And maybe in the future on my SB? Right? Hope, hope, hope... ;-)
>
> SBB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com
>
> This message contains confidential information and is intended only
> for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
> should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
> notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
> e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
>
> E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
> as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
> does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
> message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
> construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
> related financial instruments.
>
>

netim3
2005-11-30, 02:10
I'd be interested in two things;

1. Accessing Pandora saved stations via SqueezeNetwork or AlienBBC style plugin.

2. Using the Music Genome database to build playlists from my own library. I strongly prefer the Pandora playlist generation to that of MusicMagic, but sometimes I don't want to hear unfamilar music & would just prefer to listen to the appropriate selection of my own.

Which of these is on the road map?

tks

Natan

max.spicer
2005-11-30, 06:10
Now that's an unusual combination of words!

Max


super nice, super simple, flash-based interface

ceejay
2005-11-30, 06:11
One other point...

"At this time we are only licensed to offer Pandora music services to residents of the United States"

Thats a shame. ;-)

Ceejay

mflint
2005-11-30, 06:37
One other point...

"At this time we are only licensed to offer Pandora music services to residents of the United States"

Thats a shame. ;-)

Ceejay
If I said "I lied on the registration form", would that be bad?

Marc Sherman
2005-11-30, 06:52
netim3 wrote:
>
> 2. Using the Music Genome database to build playlists from my own
> library. I strongly prefer the Pandora playlist generation to that of
> MusicMagic, but sometimes I don't want to hear unfamilar music & would
> just prefer to listen to the appropriate selection of my own.

+1 in a _big_ way. This is actually much more interesting to me than
the internet radio concept. It also neatly works around the "only
licensed in the US" problem with Pandora.

- Marc

Steve Baumgarten
2005-11-30, 10:18
>>super nice, super simple, flash-based interface
>
> Now that's an unusual combination of words!

I agree. I am normally very down on Flash -- this is one of the few
times I've ever seen it used in a way that improves on the user
experience one would have without it. Compare and contrast with, say,
Launchcast on music.yahoo.com -- a big mess of a site.

Someone at Pandora thought about the UI a bit. I'm not aware of any
other streaming music service that lets you simply *type in* an artist
or song name to tell it, hey, I like stuff by this guy or this band, or
I particularly like this song. So obvious in retrospect, and yet I don't
recall ever seeing or using anything quite so simple and direct.

So simply as a user interface geek, I was quite impressed.

Interesting that Yahoo has chosen Flash for their new maps site rather
than AJAX:

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/

Similar to maps.google.com in many ways, but there may be UI issues that
are hard to get around with a pure AJAX-based solution that Flash lets
you handle. (I don't know enough myself to say one way or the other;
both sites are smooth and easy to use. Perhaps Yahoo felt that AJAX was
fine as long as everyone is using a recent browser but that Flash
provides a stable and fairly ubiquitous platform regardless?)

SBB





Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.

jhurley
2005-11-30, 10:36
May be slightly off topic, as it doesn't stream music, but you should check out http://www.musicplasma.com if you're interested in broadening your cultural horizons.

PoW
2005-12-17, 22:09
Define "future" ;-)
Patrick

Oh good lord, as if I don't spend enough time already playing around with my squeezebox. Having this type of functionality would REALLY REALLY set slimdevices apart from the rest(as if you needed much more). Looking forward to hearing more on this front!