PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to slimserver

phicar2
2005-11-29, 08:05
I'm a new user and a fairly tech newbie when it comes to networking so please take it easy on me.
OK, here is my problem. I set up my squeezebox, connected to my wireless nextwork, but then can't connect to the slimserver. In fact it doesn't even try to look for slimservers on the network as it said it woul do in the manual. Instead after connecting it allows me only to connect to squeezenetwork or specify an IP address for the slimserver. Even when I do that (and I turn off all firwewalls) it still can't connect.
What have I missed? And why doesn't it look for slimservers on the network? I searched the forum for similar issues and other posts show that at least their squeezeboxes search for slimservers on the network...

DJanGo
2005-11-29, 08:30
I'm a new user and a fairly tech newbie when it comes to networking so please take it easy on me.
OK, here is my problem. I set up my squeezebox, connected to my wireless nextwork, but then can't connect to the slimserver. In fact it doesn't even try to look for slimservers on the network as it said it woul do in the manual. Instead after connecting it allows me only to connect to squeezenetwork or specify an IP address for the slimserver. Even when I do that (and I turn off all firwewalls) it still can't connect.
What have I missed? And why doesn't it look for slimservers on the network? I searched the forum for similar issues and other posts show that at least their squeezeboxes search for slimservers on the network...

Hi,

1st try to connect the Slimserver and the other Devices directly with a cable.

can you ping one of the stations in a command box?

Maybe it would look for the Server, but couldnt find it....

Can you play Musik from the Internet - not from your Slimserver?

please try the cable connection ;-)

phicar2
2005-11-30, 09:49
OK, I tried to connect via ethernet cable and it worked, no problem. It then updated the firmare to 28. Then I tried the wireless again, and again it was able to connect to the network but when I tried to connect to slimserver it wouldn't. First thing I tried was turning off "Super G" functionality in my router (Dlink 624). I then tried the wirless again and sure enough it found the slimserver and connected without a problem.

I guess I have to give up the extra bandwith for my other devices since I can't use the super G mode, which is why I bought that router and the compatible cards for my pcs and laptop, which kind of stinks...I could have saved money just buying a vanilla g router...oh well, the squeezebox is pretty sweet!

DrNic
2005-11-30, 10:03
I guess I have to give up the extra bandwith for my other devices since I can't use the super G mode, which is why I bought that router and the compatible cards for my pcs and laptop, which kind of stinks...I could have saved money just buying a vanilla g router...oh well, the squeezebox is pretty sweet!

Phicar2
You don't _have_ to give up your Super G mode. If you use another wireless access point set for standard G mode, on a different channel etc, then you can have the best of both worlds - though it does mean buying yet another piece of kit!!! :)

Nic

phicar2
2005-11-30, 19:50
DrNic,
Just to be clear, what you are saying is I would need another WAP connected to my router (the dlink 624) that broadcasts in standard g mode. I would "connect" my squeezebox to this WAP to connect to my network. Then I would keep my dlink set to Super g and let my other devices connect to my network through the dlink (using Super g). Do I have that right?

DrNic
2005-12-01, 07:54
DrNic,
Just to be clear, what you are saying is I would need another WAP connected to my router (the dlink 624) that broadcasts in standard g mode. I would "connect" my squeezebox to this WAP to connect to my network. Then I would keep my dlink set to Super g and let my other devices connect to my network through the dlink (using Super g). Do I have that right?

Yes, thats right.
Ideally you would want the other WAP to be as far away from your wireless router as possible (a long ethernet cable to the other side of the room would help!). Then ensure this is on a non-overlapping channel as far away from your other channel as possible.
Its not the most elegant solution but it works!

Nic