PDA

View Full Version : country configuration

hsum
2005-11-29, 04:33
From the sales FAQ (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_sales.html):

>Can I ship to a domestic address with an international billing >address?
>
>Yes, please use the comments field to specify the country of use
>so we can ship the correct configuration.

I split my time between the US and Taiwan. I'm thinking of getting 2 SB3's for use in the US. However, I might want to take one and use it in Taiwan.

What exactly is the country configuration and does it matter to me? Language doesn't matter - English would be required and preferred.

thanks.

Patrick Dixon
2005-11-29, 05:01
I think it's just the power supply.

hsum
2005-11-29, 07:12
Thanks Patrick.

Taiwan uses the same electrical voltage and plugs as the US. With possible exception to language/localization, it sounds like there might be no difference. That would be nice and simple.

I wonder if there any regulations related to wireless communication that might be different?

radish
2005-11-29, 08:03
The channels you're legally allowed to use for 802.11b/g do vary from country to country. The US allow almost all, I have no idea about Taiwan but I bet Google does :) However, it's your basestation which chooses the channel, not the SB, so provided that's correctly setup you should be OK.

hsum
2005-11-29, 08:46
Thanks radish.

The info. regarding the channel is interesting. I never thought something like that needed to be regulated.

It seems like this might be a router/AP issue and wouldn't vary in country configurations for the SB3.

radish
2005-11-29, 09:44
When you connect to a wireless network with the SB it asks you what region you're in, this is so it can enable/disable the correct channels. However, if you're using an AP set to a legal channel, then even if the SB is set to a more permissive region it will still use the legal channel, so no harm done. The problems come when you start using adhoc connections (no AP) or your AP is also set to the wrong region.

hsum
2005-11-29, 16:03
Radish, thanks for further clarification on the channels.

I got mail from sales and they verified that country configuration pretty much means which power supply you get.

I just placed my order.

It feels like Christmas! Oh wait...it is.