PDA

View Full Version : Wireless works, encryption/security does not on an SB3

brundle
2005-11-29, 00:46
I have an SB3 running the latest firmware.

I have a Linksys WAP54G with the latest firmware that I am trying to connect to.

All functions when wired and wireless with no encryption work fine. Both static and DHCP assigned IPs.

If I try WEP, WPA or WPA2 the SB3 will not connect. It looks like it connects in WEP, but it doesn't see the DHCP server so it is not connecting.

I need to be able to use WPA or preferably WPA2 to accomodate the other wireless devices on the network.

Has anyone seen this? I've seen other threads with no wireless working at all - but wireless works for me, just not with encryption to work.

I've double checked the keys and like I said, other wireless devices work fine.

-b

danco
2005-11-29, 07:48
There's some business I don't understand about "Open" and "Shared" keys, only one of which works.

If you understand about it, that may give you the clue you need.

if you don't understand it, I'm sure someone will be along to explain in detail.

radish
2005-11-29, 08:01
On older model Squeezeboxes only Shared mode would work. However, I've been told this has been fixed recently, but I've not tested it so I can't personally vouch for it.

dannyg
2005-11-30, 22:50
I can vouch for "Open System"; it is working for my setup.

more details here (post #60)...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18120&page=6

brundle
2005-12-06, 23:02
Hmmm... unfortunately my Linksys was already set to 'Open System' - in fact it doesn't even seem to want to save the change if I try to change it to 'Shared Key'

w42
2005-12-07, 00:37
I have a Linksys WAP54G with the latest firmware that I am trying to connect to.

I have the same AP running with v2.08 firmware.
Set to WPA Pre-shared key / TKIP

Worked immediately with my SB3 (received last week)

benthos
2005-12-07, 22:56
Has anyone seen this? I've seen other threads with no wireless working at all - but wireless works for me, just not with encryption to work.

I've been strugging recently with the same problem on an Actiontec wireless router. I finally got it to work today, and I'm not entirely sure what fixed it - but it seems that changing my WPA/TKIP password from 8 characters to a 13-character string (i.e., a string that will take up all the character spaces when entering it on the SB3) did the trick. Why should that help the SB3 connect to the SlimServer? I have no idea. Try it and see if it works, I'm curious to see if you have similar results.

Chris

brundle
2005-12-12, 23:11
I set my AP to WPA Personal TKIP and added a full key. I was able to use 17 characters for the key on my SB3 so I filled all of them in and tried that - but no luck.

benthos
2005-12-13, 16:13
I set my AP to WPA Personal TKIP and added a full key. I was able to use 17 characters for the key on my SB3 so I filled all of them in and tried that - but no luck.

When I had this problem, it was suggested to me that DHCP might have something to do with it. When you set up your networking on the SB3, do you have DHCP automatically collect your network info? If so, what network address does it pull up? For some reason, when my SB3 first detected network info via DHCP, it brought up a 169.254.*.* address, which (according to another user here) means that DHCP couldn't bring up the actual network info, and "pseudo randomly" assigned itself to this number. Using that number, I could connect to the network, but not the
Slimserver when I was using WPA/TKIP. Somehow, the SB3 later managed to acquire the real IP address, which in my case was 192.168.0.5 - using that IP, I could connect to Slimserver over a WPA/TKIP enabled wireless connection.

For the other topic that discussed this, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18824

Chris