PDA

View Full Version : Random play within a genre

slimCL
2005-11-28, 17:53
I have the SqueezeBox 3 running with SlimServer 6.2.0.

How can I play a single genre in random mix mode? The Random Mix menus don't allow me to do this. Here's what I want to do:

(1) Include all genres except Christmas in random mixes. I can do this now by unchecking Christmas in the "Genres to include in your mix" list. No problem here.

(2) Be able to randomly play only the Christmas genre. I do not want to have to uncheck the other 37 genres in the list and then switchback when I am done with Christmas music. It seems that the Random Mix could have an extra menu that allows you to (a) Use the genre list and (b) Pick a specific genre.

As a workaround, I thought I could create a playlist that included only the Christmas genre. But, the playlist editors that I have tried (the one included in dBpowerAMP; Playlist Creator 3) only allow you to pick files and directories. They don't search your collection for info contained in the tags.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to quickly create an genre-based playlist?

TIA.

Edit #1: I am using the FLAC format.
Edit #2: I am running SlimServer on Windows XP SP2.

mrfantasy
2005-11-28, 18:18
There's a button on the bottom on the plugin page for "Select None".

I'm pretty sure it was in 6.2.0, but it's definitely in 6.2.1.

It will uncheck everything, and then you just check what you want.

slimCL
2005-11-28, 19:20
Thanks for the response, mrfantasy.

I upgraded to SlimServer 6.2.1, but it did not add a 'Select None' to the Select Genres To Include list. Could it be that you are using a different OS? I am using WinXP Pro SP2.

But, this story has a happy ending. Thanks to you, I played with the 'Select All' option and stumbled upon a way to do what I want. If I check 'Select All', then uncheck it, it unchecks all genres. I can then check only the Christmas genre. When I want to return to my default list, I check 'Select All' then uncheck Christmas. This is slightly cumbersome, but it works. I am just glad I don't have a complicated genre list for my default list!

What would be really cool is if Random Mix supported multiple Select Genres To Include Lists. You could then create more than one list of genres. This is a better idean than my first one (to do random within a single genre).

max.spicer
2005-11-29, 01:55
Wouldn't you be better off using the shuffle mode for this? Press Shuffle until the Squeezebox says Shuffle By Song then use Browse Music->Browse Genres to select Christmas and press play whilst the Squeezebox is still displaying Christmas. This will add all the songs with the Christmas genre to your playlist and play them in random order.

If you really want to use Random Mix, the correct way is to use Select All as you have described.

Max

Thanks for the response, mrfantasy.

I upgraded to SlimServer 6.2.1, but it did not add a 'Select None' to the Select Genres To Include list. Could it be that you are using a different OS? I am using WinXP Pro SP2.

But, this story has a happy ending. Thanks to you, I played with the 'Select All' option and stumbled upon a way to do what I want. If I check 'Select All', then uncheck it, it unchecks all genres. I can then check only the Christmas genre. When I want to return to my default list, I check 'Select All' then uncheck Christmas. This is slightly cumbersome, but it works. I am just glad I don't have a complicated genre list for my default list!

What would be really cool is if Random Mix supported multiple Select Genres To Include Lists. You could then create more than one list of genres. This is a better idean than my first one (to do random within a single genre).

slimCL
2005-11-29, 06:16
Wouldn't you be better off using the shuffle mode for this?

Yes, this is exactly what I want. Thanks, Max. If this weren't a noob forum, I'd be embarrassed for not doing enough research. ;-)