PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox for Videos/Images

SeaDour
2005-11-28, 16:46
I have ambitions to transform an old 800Mhz Celeron PC into a home media server (probably with Linux), where I can store all my videos, photos, and music. I intend to use Squeezebox to play MP3s on my stereo, but I'm not sure how to go about viewing videos and images on my TV. I know PVRs like TiVo can do it, but I understand the interface is cumbersome.

Can anyone recommend some good software/hardware for me to accomplish this?

JJZolx
2005-11-28, 16:57
I have ambitions to transform an old 800Mhz Celeron PC into a home media server (probably with Linux), where I can store all my videos, photos, and music. I intend to use Squeezebox to play MP3s on my stereo, but I'm not sure how to go about loading videos and images onto my PC. I know PVRs like TiVo can do it, but I understand the interface is cumbersome.

Can anyone recommend some good software/hardware for me to accomplish this?
Are you asking how to load photos and videos onto your media server, or how to view them back on some type of video system?

SeaDour
2005-11-28, 17:25
Are you asking how to load photos and videos onto your media server, or how to view them back on some type of video system?

Dyslexia strikes again; sorry for the confusion. I meant viewing them on my television.

JJZolx
2005-11-28, 17:34
Dyslexia strikes again; sorry for the confusion. I meant viewing them on my television.
Here's one such device:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318&sec=1

Most of them also do music, similar to the Squeezebox, except that the output for the user interface is usually the television. That works well for a device that also does video, but wouldn't cut it wherever you don't also have a TV. They also tend to be extremely limited in the music file formats that they can play, in line with most consumer music devices - mp3, wma, wav.

kdf
2005-11-28, 17:36
Quoting SeaDour <SeaDour.1z8dxb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I have ambitions to transform an old 800Mhz Celeron PC into a home media
> server (probably with Linux), where I can store all my videos, photos,
> and music. I intend to use Squeezebox to play MP3s on my stereo, but
> I'm not sure how to go about loading videos and images onto my PC. I
> know PVRs like TiVo can do it, but I understand the interface is
> cumbersome.
>
> Can anyone recommend some good software/hardware for me to accomplish
> this?

I just recently set up a Duron 800 box using Knoppmyth (mythtv linux
distro). It comes with perl 5.8.4 so its slimserver ready, and the
media manager
software is all there from the install. It works out of the box with
various tv
tuners, and isn't too hard to get a videa card with tv out working. I have an
old Matrox G400 that I've used, following instructions on the knoppmyth site.

-kdf

sellars
2005-11-29, 10:04
A squeezebox could do the video-playing part with the videobox plugin. The converted version works fine with the latest nightlies. You'll find the plugin here, and all other files on the plugin download page. Enjoy!

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15090&highlight=videobox