PDA

View Full Version : Will This Setup Work?

gjrhine
2005-11-27, 14:25
With this setup could I use the wireless SB3 with the library on the external hard drive or would I have to maintain a subset of the library on the laptop hard drive for the SB3 to use?

XP/SP2
1.8GHz, 1gb Ram
Maxtor One Touch II USB External Hard Drive

JJZolx
2005-11-27, 14:48
With this setup could I use the wireless SB3 with the library on the external hard drive or would I have to maintain a subset of the library on the laptop hard drive for the SB3 to use?

XP/SP2
1.8GHz, 1gb Ram
That will work fine.

ArgonZen
2005-11-28, 08:27
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a couple of Squeezeboxes and was wondering if anyone runs multiple Squeezeboxes on a setup similar to the one below. My music collection will mainly be FLAC with some 320 MP3's

The box will be a dedicated music server and will only have the OS, Slimserver and Wavefinder software! I will encode all music on to the Maxtor from a separate PC.

XP Pro/SP2
P3 400, 1gb Ram
Wavefinder

snarlydwarf
2005-11-28, 09:02
XP Pro/SP2
P3 400, 1gb Ram
Wavefinder

XP on a P3/400 would probably be.. slow. (Not SlimServer.. XP.) XP has some pretty hefty hardware requirements. That said, I run SlimServer on a P2/400 with 512M and around 8k tracks and it works fine... but that's on Linux which has a much lower demand on the CPU.

radish
2005-11-28, 09:37
XP on a P3/400 would probably be.. slow. (Not SlimServer.. XP.) XP has some pretty hefty hardware requirements. That said, I run SlimServer on a P2/400 with 512M and around 8k tracks and it works fine... but that's on Linux which has a much lower demand on the CPU.

When XP is idle it takes basically 0 cpu, just like linux. If this box is a server, then it won't be doing any GUI stuff, and performance will be similar.

To answer the original question, I'd imagine it would be fine, particularly if you're careful to time rescans for when no-one wants to listen. You may run into ptoblems during scans otherwise. I run a considerably faster box as my slimserver, but it's idle 99% of the time so there's no real reason to IMHO.

ArgonZen
2005-11-29, 07:21
Thanks for the replies!

I will be taking off all the whistles & bells that come with XP!

It will have to be XP SP1 as I read that Wavefinder does not work with SP2! Could opt for Win2K.

Cheers!