PDA

View Full Version : How does Slimserver actually use iTunes?

davehg
2005-11-25, 22:12
Lots of folks claim that running Foobar on windows sounds better than iTunes. I use iTunes only to burn (to WAV or apple lossless), and use slim server to play files.

So, I know Slimserver grabs track information and playlists from iTunes, but does it actually use any plackback components of iTunes?

DrNic
2005-11-26, 02:12
Lots of folks claim that running Foobar on windows sounds better than iTunes. I use iTunes only to burn (to WAV or apple lossless), and use slim server to play files.

So, I know Slimserver grabs track information and playlists from iTunes, but does it actually use any plackback components of iTunes?

Nope!
The only possible point of contention is in how these media progs originally "rip" the CD. iTunes defaults to AAC, I have no idea about Foobar.
But if your being sensible you will rip to a lossless format (sorry had to put that in!), or a high bitrate MP3.
The Squeezebox uses its own inbuilt decoders for MP3 and FLAC, some server side decoding is done for other formats, but AFAIK these components are just the decoders for those file types.

Nic

radish
2005-11-26, 07:29
Since the new version of iTunes my GF has had to give up using it because it's unable to play properly on her computer - there are frequent pops and dropouts. Looking around the forums for a solution I discovered that people have been complaining about playback sound quality from iTunes for years.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-12-12, 07:23
Are the sound dropouts from iTunes on XP?
There's a setting somewhere in the Quicktime properties called SafeMode
that should fix this.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with iTunes.

Using 100% CPU time while checking for Podcast updates is outrageous!
Anyone know if this is fixed in 6.0 ? (Or any reason not to upgrade)

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.