PDA

View Full Version : Music scan under 6.2.1 problems



alanj
2005-11-25, 11:24
Hi,
I've just noticed a problem with the New Music scan function since upgrading to 6.2.1

I have a daily scan scheduled to look for new and changed music, so after adding a few new albums I expected to be able to play these the next day. However they did not appear in the Slim server list.

So I ran a manual New and Changed music scan. Still no new albums found.

I then ran a Clean library rescan.
This resulted in my total albums found dropping from 601 to 582. Yet I still have 601 album directories in my music folder. ( I rip each album to its own directory )
Oh and still no sign of the new albums.

I then deleted the cache directory and rescanned. Same result, I only have 582 albums found now and not the newest ones.

Any ideas as to what is going on and how I can PD this?

Oh I'm on Windows Home XP+Sp2

Cheers
Alan

alanj
2005-11-26, 03:26
Well this is getting very annoying!

I have now downloaded and completely reinstalled slimserver 6.2.2

I ran the Slim.exe directly so that I could see its console and any output it might produce and voila! On the first run it gave an error about a missing Flac. Ok I removed that album from my music folder completely, deleted the cache and ran it again. This time it found a second corrupt directory. Again I removed that and even ran a full Checkdisk to ensure my disk was clean.

I've now run a full from scratch scan again and nothing has appeared on the slim.exe console..... however I still only have 581 albums listed. One of my newly ripped albums now appears in the list but not the others.

I am guessing that I still have a corrupt file somewhere that is causing the scan to fail. But how on earth am I supposed to find it?

I have 2 questions really.
1) How can I see what the scan is doing? Can it produce some sort of log?
2) Should a corrupt file really cause this sort of problem? Surely the software should be capable of a) reporting any errors it finds and b) skip any duff files and keep on scanning.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Alan

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-26, 06:18
I've now run a full from scratch scan again and nothing has appeared on the slim.exe console..... however I still only have 581 albums listed. One of my newly ripped albums now appears in the list but not the others.

I am guessing that I still have a corrupt file somewhere that is causing the scan to fail. But how on earth am I supposed to find it?

I have 2 questions really.
1) How can I see what the scan is doing? Can it produce some sort of log?
2) Should a corrupt file really cause this sort of problem? Surely the software should be capable of a) reporting any errors it finds and b) skip any duff files and keep on scanning.



This sounds a bit similar to problems I had with 6.2.1. (See "Soon-to-be-user ..." in the Beginners forum for the gory details.) In my case, it looks like it was due to odd (non-unique) setting of the URL tag in WMA files; this caused SlimServer to crash, and on restart it listed fewer than all my tracks. This doesn't sound quite like your experience, since you don't say you have to restart SS after each scan.

I submitted a bug report, complete with logs and one of the dodgy tracks; and the problem was fixed in the next nightly release of 6.2.2!

You can tell SS to generate a (permanent) log file by running it from the command line with --logfile set:

"c:\program files\slimserver\slim.exe" --logfile "c:\program files\slimserver\log.txt"

(exact paths will vary). Then open the web controls, go to Server Settings/Debugging and enable several of the items (I turned on d_files, d_scan and d_sql). Now do a rescan (or a full scan), and inspect the logfile. If you spot something suspicious, copy it to somewhere else. (You may need to stop SS first, though you could just use copy/paste in a decent editor. Indeed, you'll probably want to delete or move the logfile between each run - otherwise it'll be fiddly to tell the separate tests apart.)

Warnings about missing files may be red herrings; I got a few of these because of "stale" references in playlists, but these weren't the cause of the problem (at least, not in my case).

-- Brian