PDA

View Full Version : System hardware advice

Maddytk
2005-11-24, 12:46
i had a cd/receiver going to a 5-speaker selector (to feed house speakers) - all using speaker wire connections. the cd player broke (i'm tired of moving parts) - so I want to be able to play my music from pc to the house - seems the slim is a good choice. my speaker selector has no rca inputs (only speaker wire connectors) - do i need to get a separate receiver?

Jim
2005-11-24, 12:55
i had a cd/receiver going to a 5-speaker selector (to feed house speakers) - all using speaker wire connections. the cd player broke (i'm tired of moving parts) - so I want to be able to play my music from pc to the house - seems the slim is a good choice. my speaker selector has no rca inputs (only speaker wire connectors) - do i need to get a separate receiver?

Yes, you'd need an amp as the output from the Slim device itself is just like the output of any CD player, Playstation or whatever - it needs to be amplifieid.

How was the speaker selector? Could you have output to all 5 speakers at the same time? I guess you'd need a pretty meaty amp to do that.

Or you could think about buying 5 Squeezeboxes, 5 average Amps and dumping all the speaker-wire.

Without knowing exactly what your old system did, exactly what sort of cost your old system had, what sort of sound you want or whatever all I can advise is that as a replacement for a CD player, just like any CD player you will need to connect the Sqeeaebox to a amp.

GoCubs
2005-11-25, 08:07
If you simply want to use a SqueezeBox instead of your broken CD player, all you have to do is disconnect your CD player's RCA input connection to your receiver and use that connection to the SqueezeBox.

In this set up the one SqueezeBox will be the audio source (via your receiver) to all of your speakers. You can turn on and off individual speaker pairs via the speaker selector.

Basically everything will be the same other than you'll have a SqueezeBox instead of a CD player.

-Greg