PDA

View Full Version : Another Connection Problem

Ragsy
2005-11-22, 02:02
Hi all, another connection problem that I would be really grateful for any assistance with.

I don't think I'm anywhere as near as technologically minded as many of the posters to this board, so layman's terms explanations would be very much appreciated. I have checked some of the other threads, but it would appear that many of the problems are hardware-specific and Iím hoping that perhaps someone has had the same trouble as me using the same gear and that the solution is a simple one!

I recently bought an SB3 to replace my old slimp player. I followed the connection instructions using DHCP (wanted to connect to my home wireless network) and the whole process stops when I try to locate slim server right at the very end. So I can find the wireless network etc Ė I just cannot connect to the server.

Iím using Windows XP and 2 routers. (One for VOIP Ė Linksys RT31P2 and a broadband router/switch Linksys WRT54G) The wireless router is the WRT54G.

I can connect other devices (i.e. a laptop) to the network without any problems at all, so believe this must be something to do with the SB.

I have tried connecting with WEP enabled and disabled but to no avail. The SB wonít even connect when wired through the RT31P2 using the same configuration as my old slimp.

Iím very shortly gonna launch the whole set-up through the lounge window.

Can anyone help?

Sorry if Iím a bit short on detail Ė if Iíve missed anything, please give me a shout and Iíll attempt to provide whatever it is that is needed.

DrNic
2005-11-22, 02:24
Hi all, another connection problem that I would be really grateful for any assistance with.

I don't think I'm anywhere as near as technologically minded as many of the posters to this board, so layman's terms explanations would be very much appreciated. I have checked some of the other threads, but it would appear that many of the problems are hardware-specific and Iím hoping that perhaps someone has had the same trouble as me using the same gear and that the solution is a simple one!

I recently bought an SB3 to replace my old slimp player. I followed the connection instructions using DHCP (wanted to connect to my home wireless network) and the whole process stops when I try to locate slim server right at the very end. So I can find the wireless network etc Ė I just cannot connect to the server.

Iím using Windows XP and 2 routers. (One for VOIP Ė Linksys RT31P2 and a broadband router/switch Linksys WRT54G) The wireless router is the WRT54G.

I can connect other devices (i.e. a laptop) to the network without any problems at all, so believe this must be something to do with the SB.

I have tried connecting with WEP enabled and disabled but to no avail. The SB wonít even connect when wired through the RT31P2 using the same configuration as my old slimp.

Iím very shortly gonna launch the whole set-up through the lounge window.

Can anyone help?

Sorry if Iím a bit short on detail Ė if Iíve missed anything, please give me a shout and Iíll attempt to provide whatever it is that is needed.

Hi Ragsy, and welcome!
Firstly just to ensure that the SB _is_ connected to the wireless network: can you select Squeezenetwork as your server and play radio stations? If so then we know that it just a matter of getting the SB to talk to the Slimserver software!
I presume that you have installed the latest release of the server software? Are you sure that this is running? Go to control panel>administrative tools>services, and scan down the list looking for slim.exe it should say it is running...
Next ensure that ANY firewall you have (make sure you are not running 2 if you use a third party firewall ie XP firewall is off) is allowing communication to the server software. Most third party firewalls (Norton etc) will pop up a message box when a program is first run asking what it should allow it to do...

If you are sure that the firewall is allowing all communication, the server is running, and the squeezebox definately is connected to the network then we will move on from there.

Report back when you have tested these things!

Nic

Ragsy
2005-11-22, 04:00
Nic,

Sorted. Must've been the virus software. If you were here, I'd kiss you!!!

Thank you VERY much!

Ragsy

Ragsy
2005-11-22, 04:17
Nic,

Hold that kiss for just a second if you don't mind.

Since the last post...

I was playing music and everything was fine. I then had to reboot the pc for something unrelated and have the same problems over again.

I get as far as connect to xxxxxx (My PC name on the network) and it says, "can't connect to slimserver".

PC Cillin (My virus software) is running, but I've enabled it to trust the player. (Through it's MAC address - and it shows up twice for some reason!)

BTW - I did everything else you suggested in your last post!

Aaarggh!!!

DrNic
2005-11-22, 04:57
Nic,

Hold that kiss for just a second if you don't mind.

Since the last post...

I was playing music and everything was fine. I then had to reboot the pc for something unrelated and have the same problems over again.

I get as far as connect to xxxxxx (My PC name on the network) and it says, "can't connect to slimserver".

PC Cillin (My virus software) is running, but I've enabled it to trust the player. (Through it's MAC address - and it shows up twice for some reason!)

BTW - I did everything else you suggested in your last post!

Aaarggh!!!

Don't worry!
I take it that PC Cillin is also the firewall, right? (sorry I don't know too much about it!)
Normally communication rules for software are based on program names and not MAC addresses. Is there anywhere in PC Cillin to set Program Control options (ie, Enable all communications, enable outgoing/incoming etc)?
MAC address filtering is normally a function of router/software firewalls but I presume we know your wireless router is allowing communication because you can connect to Squeezenetwork - right?
Another thing to check is that the MAC address you have listed is the same as the one printed on the SB3 (I think the 2 MAC addresses arise from the either the wireless bridge or ethernet address plus the wireless adapter - they should be same)
Ensure that the wireless bridge mode is not enabled on the SB3.
Can you tell me what step allowed you to connect to your slimserver the first time it worked? Was it configuring the firewall?

I am sure this problem just relates to permissions granted to slimserver by your firewall rules.

Nic

Ragsy
2005-11-22, 13:03
Nic,

In order.

Yes PC Cillin is also the firewall. (I have two - the other being the standard XP one - don't know much about this - it's just the way it has always been)

There is a button within PC Cillin to allow incoming or outgoing communications but not for incoming AND outgoing.

Yes, I am able to connect to the Squeezenetwork without any problem.

MAC Addresses are correct and are the same.

Wireless bridge mode is disabled.

The step that appeared to make the difference and to allow me to connect (albeit very briefly) was by turning PC Cillin and windows firewall off.

Cheers

Dave

Ragsy
2005-11-22, 14:35
Nic,

The problem now appears to be sorted.

I went through every option in my virus/firwall software and although I haven't really got a clue what I did, I somehow amended the exceptions and have stumbled upon a solution.

Thanks for your help!!

Ragsy

DrNic
2005-11-22, 17:25
Nic,

The problem now appears to be sorted.

I went through every option in my virus/firwall software and although I haven't really got a clue what I did, I somehow amended the exceptions and have stumbled upon a solution.

Thanks for your help!!

Ragsy

Sorry to have not got back to you sooner - darned work!!
I read from your previous post that not only do you have PC Cillin doing your firewall work, but you also have the inbuilt XP firewall running. If that is so you must disable one!! (i recommend getting rid of Bills evil work - the XP one that is!)
Glad to here you now have it sorted - by whatever means!
You should try and learn about enabling program access rights or whatever it is called in PC Cillin. should this problem happen again!

Nic

PS Happy listening....