PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 appears in the Mail On Sunday magazine

norderney
2005-11-21, 16:26
Just been reading the Mail On Sunday newspaper magazine - Night & Day. I noticed an article about streaming music from your pc to hi-fi. They did 3 types low price, mid range and top end. Squeezebox 3 appeared in mid range as their best buy. It was up against Philips WACS-7000 [got 4 stars], Hifidelio got 2 stars and Bardusb got 4 stars. SB3 got 5 stars.

In the low price section Rokusound Bridge M1000 got best buy with 5 stars, withnApple Airport Express getting 2 stars.

In the top end section the Sonos and Yamaha Music Cast MCX1000 both got 5 stars, but Yamaha got the best buy.

It was good to see SB3 appearing in a mainstream national newspaper magazine.

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-21, 16:48
Just been reading the Mail On Sunday newspaper magazine - Night & Day. I noticed an article about streaming music from your pc to hi-fi. They did 3 types low price, mid range and top end. Squeezebox 3 appeared in mid range as their best buy. It was up against Philips WACS-7000 [got 4 stars], Hifidelio got 2 stars and Bardusb got 4 stars. SB3 got 5 stars.

In the low price section Rokusound Bridge M1000 got best buy with 5 stars, withnApple Airport Express getting 2 stars.

In the top end section the Sonos and Yamaha Music Cast MCX1000 both got 5 stars, but Yamaha got the best buy.

It was good to see SB3 appearing in a mainstream national newspaper magazine.

Yup. Here's hoping they start turning up in the UK "real soon now" too! Been watching my dabs.com order say "N due soon" for long enough...

Jim
2005-11-21, 16:48
Good to see.

Would be interesting to ask them what defines a top-end and what they think about comparing the SB3 with the top-end models they reviewed. In audio I've always thought top-end meant the sound and nothing else and not hearing the other devices it would be interesting how they compared to a SB3 with a dedicated DAC.

If you're in top-end only audio type worth bothering with is FLAC, plus ability to have access to lossy radio - maybe. Any sort of remote control with a screen can easily be substituted for some sort of PalmPilot type device. You're rich so expense of a computer is not a concern and no doubt one is already ownded. With a computer connected a million other options are opened.

Ease of use of ripping might be but you could argue a properly configured PC with EAC is not going to be harder to use (and achieve better quality) than any device that accepts CD's. And also, there's always the "we rip your CD's" option for the seriously rich or lazy.

Maybe just for rich people who don't know how to choose the other stuff or magazine reviews against the true expensive/hi-end stuff SlimDevices should offer the "SqueezeBox Ultra Package" comprising of a SB3, a "cool looking" PC, wireless router, Color Palm "Remote", dedicated DAC and a free FLAC rip of up to 500 CD's.

audiofi
2005-11-21, 17:00
Good to see.

Would be interesting to ask them what defines a top-end and what they think about comparing the SB3 with the top-end models they reviewed. In audio I've always thought top-end meant the sound and nothing else and not hearing the other devices it would be interesting how they compared to a SB3 with a dedicated DAC.

If you're in top-end only audio type worth bothering with is FLAC, plus ability to have access to lossy radio - maybe. Any sort of remote control with a screen can easily be substituted for some sort of PalmPilot type device. You're rich so expense of a computer is not a concern and no doubt one is already ownded. With a computer connected a million other options are opened.

Ease of use of ripping might be but you could argue a properly configured PC with EAC is not going to be harder to use (and achieve better quality) than any device that accepts CD's. And also, there's always the "we rip your CD's" option for the seriously rich or lazy.

Maybe just for rich people who don't know how to choose the other stuff or magazine reviews against the true expensive/hi-end stuff SlimDevices should offer the "SqueezeBox Ultra Package" comprising of a SB3, a "cool looking" PC, wireless router, Color Palm "Remote", dedicated DAC and a free FLAC rip of up to 500 CD's.

I tried the new Phillips in Curry;s the other day and whilst the all-in-one idea is a good one, the interface was the same as the bottom of the range streamium's and still has the same problem that the screen needs a backlight or a change of colours or something, black text on grey doesn't work!

I'm busy working on the "cool looking" PC as we speak, have already sorted out a headless system which rips CD's to FLAC or MP3 automatically, runs Slimserver out of the box and has crash recovery software (just in case anything crashes, it restarts it within 60 seconds).
Am looking into suppliers for decent cases etc. to expand on the range of cheaper recycled PC's, will post here as soon as I sort anything out.

Andrew

p.s. I'd also add a Sonic T-amp in a posh box to the list for the whole package!

Jim
2005-11-21, 17:11
p.s. I'd also add a Sonic T-amp in a posh box to the list for the whole package!

Remember, this wasn't something I was expecting people to buy - just a way of getting more reviews, as and reputable magazine only review stuff you can buy.

A magazine review comparing music-serving solutions is pointless if the amps are different and everyone would want a different amp.

Imagine this for a review:

blah blah blah....
The Slimserver Deluxe package has everthing you need for a serious system. You just need to buy the amp and we recommend the <blah>. In addition not only does this package alone beat the Phillips <blah>, the Sonos <blah> and the Yamaha <blah> but if you already own a faster computer, a Palm or want to use your MAC, use another DAC or want any further flexibility you can also just purchase the basic Squeezebox and add these features - something the Phillips, the Sonos, and the Yamaha don't provide.

Conclusion
Phillips: Price 1, Audio 5, Flexibility 1
Sonos: Price 1, Audio 5, Flexibility 1
Yamaha: Price 1, Audio 5, Flexibility 1
Squeezbox Deluxe: Price 1, Audio 5, Flexibility 3

All the players are expensive and inflexible (SB Deluxe does have a web interface and you can play Quake on it's computer so we give it 3), all sound the same, there is nothing really seperating them. We say forget all of these players and build you own Squeezebox setup staring with just the great value unit itself because chances are you already have a network, a computer, a DAC and other things.

The whole idea is the price is pretty much irrelevant, but Slim probably wouldn't be looked at because there's just too many components. So what they need to do is put it all in a one-box solution. If they can't get Palm to give the control a custom logo, then paint it over and put your own - as long as it lasts one day whilst it's being reviewed it's fine - like I said - nobody will buy it!

Just use the "high-end" package that they sell but nobody buys as a way of getting more reviews of the box when comparing to high-end all-in-one solutions. Not only does the reviewer then realise that the whole idea of all-in-one solutions is rubbish and notice the SB unit by itself, but the high-end consumers do too.

Think about it, Slim only really has one model (the current one), but you go to Roku's site and what do you see? Fotos of the crappy M500 or the maybe slightly better looking M2000....all the features/images of the better model.....all the prices with a "starting from " and the price of the crappier model.