X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AaronS
    • Oct 2005

Problem with tracks that have no 'album' data

Hello

First up, apologies. I posted this in the beginners section as well, but got no response.

I upgraded to 6.2.1. Since then, I'm having trouble with songs that have no 'album' data included in the ID3 tag.

Most of my library has album data, but about 600 songs don't. I think it's perfectly sensible not to use the album field when you don't have all the songs on the album.

When I navigate to an artist that has a song with no album data, I see a list of all the albums, and an option for 'no album'. As before.

When I select it, I don't get the 'no album' songs from that artist.. but from all the artists. Not only that, the only ones that I can actually play are from the artist I was navigating too. The songs by the other artists won't go into the playlist.

Another post on this forum indicates that this isn't a bug, rather it's a change in functionality to meet a different need. Sadly, this has really messed up by system.

What can I do to get around this? Or is this a bug, after all?
  • Jim
    • Apr 2005

I think you're relying on a software solution too much, when it's pretty easy to fix. The catergory "No Album" or "No Artist" is a bit of a get-out only to be used when you want to see what you've screwed up or what Slim didn't understand.

What I do with all my files is the following:

If I don't know the artist, it's blank or I cannot be bothered to fill it in I set the artist to "ZZZZZZUnknown Artist". This is a good reference to keep it at the bottom of any list, and also to quickly find what I need to fix.

The same if it is an unknown album and I have all the tracks.

If it's just one song I ripped then I give it the album "Jim's Singles" by AlbumArtist "Various Artists".

If it's something else such as a old Napster MP3 or whatever then I give it the album "Jim's 128kbps MP3s", again with AlbumArtist "Various Artists".

I don't bother with track numbers, but you could further catergorise this random stuff into your favourite order keeping < 100 tracks per "Album" obviously..... e.g. "Jim's Reggae Downloads"....."Jim's Funny Stuff"....

From then on if you still find listings of "No Album" or "No Artist" it's an easier indication of problems.

Comment

• AaronS
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jim
      I think you're relying on a software solution too much, when it's pretty easy to fix. The catergory "No Album" or "No Artist" is a bit of a get-out only to be used when you want to see what you've screwed up or what Slim didn't understand.
      Hmm. With all due respect, I don't agree with that. I don't accept that all the available ID3 tags have to be filled in. Some tracks don't have albums at all.

All my other MP3 playing software/hardware deals with this material perfectly fine. And Slimserver used to. It's strange to suggest that I should have to add inaccurate metadata just to deal with a software limitation - especially when that limitation has just been introduced.
      Last edited by AaronS; 2005-11-21, 22:59.

Comment

• Jim
        • Apr 2005

Your metadata is inaccurate, but yes there is an underlying problem with SlimServer which is why it doesn't work.

But IMHO it makes far more sense to have "ZZZZZZUnknown Artist" than the artist field blank. Both are crappy, but at least I can jump to my unknown artist quickly, and my WinAmp listings of all my artists tie up exactly with ones on my web interface.

It's all down to control and consistency - this is not a critical issue with the Server as you are relying on it to get you out of trouble because you have not fully completed your music organisation - that track appeared on an album somewhere, or a CD single, or a bootleg or radioshow or something that had a title so for completeness you should find it.

I only have a few tracks/albums that really have no titles and that's usually stuff by Aphex Twin or whatever name you're used to calling him. But if you look around any music store rather than list it as nothing they refer to it as "(Untitled)" which I do too.

Yes the Slimserver should be expected to deal with blank artists but much better for control to set to your specifics because maybe WinAmp shows '' as Artist, iTunes 'Unknown' and Slim 'No Artist'.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
          • Oct 2005

Re: Problem with tracks that have no 'album' data

Aaron:

I have the exact same problem as you. I went with
          this suggestion:

"Try the following

Server Settings:Behaviour:Common Album Titles
          Check the box.
          Add the appropriate name(s) in.

You may think that this doesn't help. You may need
          to tag all you mp3s with "noalbumdata" then add
          that to the list in the server settings. This may
          not be the answer that you are looking for but it
          works well for me.

I believe the behaviour you are referring to was
          changed to reflect the efforts of the Compliations
          section."

Unfortunately it turned out this only worked for
          one artist. That particular artist has 3 links
          when I click on the artist's name - All Songs and
          two noalbumdata links.

All Songs works fine, both noalbumdata links bring
          up several hundred mismatched files.

Unfortunately it seems this is the only artist I
          can get an "All Songs" link for.

What I'm doing now is going to the Artist link and
          adding that to the playlist, which adds all songs
          from that artist, then removing the songs from the
          artist I don't want. Kind of a pain and it's a
          real problem with >10 songs.

The good news is that Dan Sully at Slim Devices
          has asked to take a look at one of the tracks from
          the Artist that makes the "All Songs" link, so at
          least someone is looking into it.

Hang in there, I am...

AaronS wrote:
          > Jim Wrote:
          >
          >>I think you're relying on a software solution too

much, when it's pretty
          >>easy to fix. The catergory "No Album" or "No

Artist" is a bit of a
          >>get-out only to be used when you want to see what

you've screwed up or
          >>what Slim didn't understand.
          >>

>
          >
          > Hmm. With all due respect, I don't agree with that.

I don't accept that
          > all the available ID3 tags have to be filled in.

Some tracks don't have
          > albums at all.
          >
          > All my other MP3 playing software/hardware deals

with this material
          > perfectly fine. And Slimserver used to. It's strange

to suggest that I
          > should have to add inaccurate metadata just to deal

with a software
          > limitation - especially when that limitation has

just been introduced.
          >
          >

--

Mark Lanctot, marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca

Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• Mike Benjamin
            • Jun 2005

Problem with tracks that have no 'album' data

When you say you "navigate to an artist", what do you mean? By what
            means are you navigating?

I just upgraded to 6.2.1 to test this for you and I don't see that
            behavior in the Fishbone skin, or via the infrared remote. When
            selecting the No Album option, only songs by that artist show up.

and for Jim, "ZZZZZZUnknown Artist" is not more accurate than leaving
            it blank in any situation ;-).

Not a single one of my MP3s has an album listed and they all play,
            sort, and sound wonderful just like billions of other MP3s around the
            world.

-- Mike

AaronS wrote:
            > Hello
            >
            > First up, apologies. I posted this in the beginners section as well,
            > but got no response.
            >
            > I upgraded to 6.2.1. Since then, I'm having trouble with songs that
            > have no 'album' data included in the ID3 tag.
            >
            > Most of my library has album data, but about 600 songs don't. I think
            > it's perfectly sensible not to use the album field when you don't have
            > all the songs on the album.
            >
            > When I navigate to an artist that has a song with no album data, I see
            > a list of all the albums, and an option for 'no album'. As before.
            >
            > When I select it, I don't get the 'no album' songs from that artist..
            > but from all the artists. Not only that, the only ones that I can
            > actually play are from the artist I was navigating too. The songs by
            > the other artists won't go into the playlist.
            >
            > Another post on this forum indicates that this isn't a bug, rather it's
            > a change in functionality to meet a different need. Sadly, this has
            > really messed up by system.
            >
            > What can I do to get around this? Or is this a bug, after all?
            >
            >

Comment

• Steve Baumgarten
              • May 2005

> I only have a few tracks/albums that really have no titles and that's
              > usually stuff by Aphex Twin or whatever name you're used to calling
              > him. But if you look around any music store rather than list it as
              > nothing they refer to it as "(Untitled)" which I do too.

Sigur Ros is the ultimate tagging nightmare in this regard. Check out
              this album:

The album has no name and the tracks have no titles. So it's referred to
              as "()" and each track is "Untitled 1", "Untitled 2", etc. Fun!

Peter Gabriel also had some fun with this early in his solo career; a
              number of his albums have no title and so are referred to by the picture
              in the cover art (e.g., "Car", "Melt") and by the order in which they
              were released. But those aren't the "official" names -- there are no
              official names for those albums.

SBB

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
              for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
              should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
              notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
              e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
              as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
              arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
              does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
              of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
              verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
              message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
              construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
              related financial instruments.

Comment

• AaronS
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mikeb
                When you say you "navigate to an artist", what do you mean? By what
                means are you navigating?

I just upgraded to 6.2.1 to test this for you and I don't see that
                behavior in the Fishbone skin, or via the infrared remote. When
                selecting the No Album option, only songs by that artist show up.

and for Jim, "ZZZZZZUnknown Artist" is not more accurate than leaving
                it blank in any situation ;-).

-- Mike
                This applies both when using the (standard) web interface and the Squeezebox interface.

When I find an artist, either by selecting 'browse artist' or searching for them, I see a list of albums, as you'd expect. If there are any MP3s associated with that artist that have no album entered in the ID3 tag, then I get an option 'no album'. When I click on that, I get all the files in my library that have no album attached - rather than just the ones relevant to that artist.
                Last edited by AaronS; 2005-11-23, 14:50.

Comment

• Craig, James (IT)

I get the same problem as Aaron. It's very annoying.

I've been ignoring it for a while, hoping it would go away, as I
                  generally use playlists.

James
                  --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Comment

• Ben Sandee

On 11/23/05, AaronS <AaronS.1yyf4n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
                    >
                    > When I find an artist, either by selecting 'browse artist' or searching
                    > for them, I see a list of albums, as you'd expect. If there are any MP3s
                    > associated with that artist that have no album entered in the ID3 tag,
                    > then I get an option 'no album'. When I click on that, I get all the
                    > files in my library that have no album attached - rather than just the
                    > ones relevant to that artist.
                    >
                    > I said it was 6.2.1 - it may be 6.2.2. Everything reports 6.2.1, but i
                    > saw another forum post which implied that 6.2.2 doesn't say it's 6.2.2.
                    > Or something.
                    >

You really should file a bug on this if you want it to be fixed -- I'm sure
                    it's unintentional behavior. It doesn't make sense to list all artist
                    tracks underneath a specific artist.

Ben

Comment

• AaronS
                      • Oct 2005

Right, will do. I was hoping that there was a setting I didn't know about that I could adjust..

Comment

• AaronS
                        • Oct 2005

done - Bug 2623

Comment

• hickinbottoms
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Craig, James (IT)
                          I get the same problem as Aaron. It's very annoying.
                          I think this might be a instance of the general problem where you can press 'play' on an album and you get all the tracks from albums with similar names also getting played. I get this problem with 'greatest hits' albums in particular. I'm using 6.5 if you want to bung that in the bug.
                          "Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after - with Lazy Searching!"

Comment

• Craig, James (IT)

That's not a bug I believe, you're supposed to put the shared album name
                            in the 'common album titles' preference.

But can one put 'No Album' in this list?

If so I guess that solves the problem. I will try that tonight.

I would suggest that should be done by default though...

James
                            --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Comment

• Ben Sandee

On 11/23/05, Craig, James (IT) <James.Craig (AT) morganstanley (DOT) com> wrote:
                              >
                              > That's not a bug I believe, you're supposed to put the shared album name
                              > in the 'common album titles' preference.
                              >
                              > But can one put 'No Album' in this list?
                              >
                              > If so I guess that solves the problem. I will try that tonight.
                              >
                              > I would suggest that should be done by default though...

I think that it depends how you navigate to the album in question. If you
                              drill down using browse by artist surely it shouldn't matter about the
                              common album titles. In fact, that has been my experience recently. For
                              example I tried to play some holiday music and found that I had two albums
                              named "December". I added this to the common album titles list to separate
                              them when browsing by album however I had no trouble finding the individual
                              albums separately when I did a browse-by-artist->december even before I made
                              this change.

Ben

Comment

Working...