PDA

View Full Version : WMA Files won't stream to Winamp

Ernie
2005-11-21, 02:54
Trying some tests before I order Squeezebox3's

I have placed lame.exe and lame_enc.dll in both the C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin and
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread folders.

mp3 and ogg files will stream to winamp but wma files will not.

Running Windows XP SP1 and SlimServer 6.2.0

Any ideas on why wma files won't work (testing with non DRM 96 kbs files)

Thanks in advance to those who are kind enough to reply

greedy_grendel
2005-11-24, 14:13
Trying some tests before I order Squeezebox3's

I have placed lame.exe and lame_enc.dll in both the C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin and
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread folders.

mp3 and ogg files will stream to winamp but wma files will not.

Running Windows XP SP1 and SlimServer 6.2.0

Any ideas on why wma files won't work (testing with non DRM 96 kbs files)

Thanks in advance to those who are kind enough to reply

What bitrate are you streaming the transcoded WMA at? If it's set at 320kbps under Player Settings->Audio->LAME Quality, try brining it down to 192kbps.

If this doesn't work, have you navigated into Server Settings->File Types and looked to see whether LAME is installed properly for WMA transcoding? If it is, you should have something like a Windows Media MP3 wmadec/lame option with a ticked box.

If this is all okay, then you might want to try debugging the media stream. Under Server Setting->Debugging, tick the box next to d_source. At the top of the same page you will find a link to the log.txt, start the stream and see whether it returns any error messages regarding the transcoding.

Cheers,

-m

Ernie
2005-11-28, 03:59
m
Thank you for responding and your suggestions.
I have tried bringing down the lame transcoding to 192kbps and the Windows Media MP3 wmadec/lame option is ticked. Still cannot get any results - tried uing Winamp, Media Jukebox 8 and Windows Media Player 9 - all no go!

Tried debugging the media stream (ie d_source)and I cannot see any error messages but I am not sure what exactly I am looking for.

Sent an e-mail and log text to support as well and they haven't figured it out yet either.

They said:
"Interesting, it looks like it's starting to play but about .2 seconds in to the song an error occurs and it skips to the next song. Are those files possibly copy-protected? If you right click on one of the files in C:\Music\New Songs\Test\, click properties, go to summary and click advanced, what does it say under origin?"

- None of my file are copy protected. I verified that origin was blank. Also noticed Winamp seems to start playing (never any sound) then displays 32kbps. File is 96kbps (I only use 96 and 128kbps for my wma files)

It appears I am going to miss out on the $100 discount for 2 Squeezebox3's offer which ends Dec 1st. Needless to say, if my files won’t play on a Sqeezebox3 I probably will not order them which would be sad as I think they are a fantastic piece of equipment.