Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjbutterfield
    • Nov 2005

New Squeezebox problem with long Cat5 run

I upgraded to the latest Squeezebox and am having a problem. When I hook my new hardwired squeeze box into my network it does not find the network. The same cable works if I use the old Squeezebox. Through testing, I have found that the new squeezebox works if my cat5 run is short (like 10 ft) but not on cat5 runs of more like 60ft. My old squeezebox works fine on these longer runs. Does anyone know why this is and more importantly, what I can do about it?
  • Triode
    • Apr 2005

I believe the new SB(2/3) is 10/100 and will try to run at 100M, whereas the old SB1 is only 10M.

On this basis is your 60 foot cable wired wrongly and hence does run at 100M properly? [need to use a twisted pair for transmit and another pair for receive - not just any wire]

Comment

• Oss
      • Nov 2005

Cable Length

I've got my SQ2 on a 30' cable and it works fine. Max cable length should be around 90m (about 300'). Can you use the cable elsewhere in your setup to test it?

Comment

• MrC
        • May 2005

60' is no problem.

There are some pooly made cables claiming to be "cat5" or "cat5e". These do not have the proper twisting, esp. near the RJ45 connector. Also, problems can be introduced if the cable is crimped, tightly bent or folded.

What would work at 10Mbps would not necessarily work at 100Mbps which has more rigid requirements.

Upgrade the cable with one that is in spec and all should be fine.

Comment

• mjbutterfield
          • Nov 2005

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Comment

• seanadams
            Founder, Slim Devices
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mjbutterfield
            I upgraded to the latest Squeezebox and am having a problem. When I hook my new hardwired squeeze box into my network it does not find the network. The same cable works if I use the old Squeezebox. Through testing, I have found that the new squeezebox works if my cat5 run is short (like 10 ft) but not on cat5 runs of more like 60ft. My old squeezebox works fine on these longer runs. Does anyone know why this is and more importantly, what I can do about it?
            Please clarify: is you "old squeezebox" a Squeezebox1 or a Squeezebox2?

SB1 was 10 Mbps and would more likely tolerate a bad cable. If you're seeing differences between SB2 and SB3 (both 100 Mbps) then that's a different story...

Comment

Working...