PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Jim Larson
2005-11-19, 22:15
I've finally got my SB2 working (& sounding) great now. What I'd like to do next is to sync the music playing on the SB2 with iTunes (or MusicMatch) running on the same PC as slimserver. Then turn on the G-force visualization, run a cable to my big-screen Sony TV, turn down the lights, pour up a big glass of Cabernet, and ... instant disco/nightclub with synchronized lighting!

Obstacles:
1. I've read here that it is only possible to sync the hardware SB's or SoftSqueeze. I don't see any sync option yet with just iTunes playing the slimserver stream.

2. Even if I could sync my SB2 with a software player supporting PC-based visualizations, there is still the short buffer delay (5-10 seconds?)

Anyone here tried something like this yet? Watching the screensaver visualizations on the squeezebox display is still pretty cool, but watching an in-sync g-force visualization on a big screen TV would be amazing.

Jim

chrisla
2005-11-20, 00:22
Not sure about your exact setup, but the easiest way to get the sound
into your visualization software is probably the remote MP3 stream.

>From the online help:

"Open the stream called http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 in your MP3
software player. (Replace "localhost" with the IP address of the
remote computer). This will inform the SlimServer that the software
player is ready to receive a stream."

You would just setup the software as you would any other streaming station.

-Chris
On 11/19/05, Jim Larson <Jim.Larson.1ys57b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I've finally got my SB2 working (& sounding) great now. What I'd like
> to do next is to sync the music playing on the SB2 with iTunes (or
> MusicMatch) running on the same PC as slimserver. Then turn on the
> G-force visualization, run a cable to my big-screen Sony TV, turn down
> the lights, pour up a big glass of Cabernet, and ... instant
> disco/nightclub with synchronized lighting!
>
> Obstacles:
> 1. I've read here that it is only possible to sync the hardware SB's
> or SoftSqueeze. I don't see any sync option yet with just iTunes
> playing the slimserver stream.
>
> 2. Even if I could sync my SB2 with a software player supporting
> PC-based visualizations, there is still the short buffer delay (5-10
> seconds?)
>
> Anyone here tried something like this yet? Watching the screensaver
> visualizations on the squeezebox display is still pretty cool, but
> watching an in-sync g-force visualization on a big screen TV would be
> amazing.
>
> Jim
>
>
> --
> Jim Larson
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Jim Larson's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1869
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18360
>
>

ceejay
2005-11-20, 00:54
Not sure about your exact setup, but the easiest way to get the sound into your visualization software is probably the remote MP3 stream.

While this is well worth a try, I think you're not going to get very close on synchronisation this way, and I suspect that being even a fraction out might be very off-putting...

The MP3 stream is just a push - Slimserver has no idea of how much buffering is happening in the player, or any means of syncing. Whereas with the SBs, slimserver can tell the devices to fill up their buffers, wait till they all have "enough", and then tell them all to "go" at the same time - and this process is repeated at each track break.

Ceejay

Andrew Heald
2005-11-20, 03:08
One idly wonders if there are visualisation libraries out there that
could be included in SoftSqueeze. Just a thought.

ceejay wrote:

>>Not sure about your exact setup, but the easiest way to get the sound
>>into your visualization software is probably the remote MP3 stream.
>>
>>
>
>While this is well worth a try, I think you're not going to get very
>close on synchronisation this way, and I suspect that being even a
>fraction out might be very off-putting...
>
>The MP3 stream is just a push - Slimserver has no idea of how much
>buffering is happening in the player, or any means of syncing. Whereas
>with the SBs, slimserver can tell the devices to fill up their buffers,
>wait till they all have "enough", and then tell them all to "go" at the
>same time - and this process is repeated at each track break.
>
>Ceejay
>
>
>
>

mikerob
2005-11-20, 09:37
I've finally got my SB2 working (& sounding) great now. What I'd like to do next is to sync the music playing on the SB2 with iTunes (or MusicMatch) running on the same PC as slimserver. Then turn on the G-force visualization, run a cable to my big-screen Sony TV, turn down the lights, pour up a big glass of Cabernet, and ... instant disco/nightclub with synchronized lighting!

Obstacles:
1. I've read here that it is only possible to sync the hardware SB's or SoftSqueeze. I don't see any sync option yet with just iTunes playing the slimserver stream.

2. Even if I could sync my SB2 with a software player supporting PC-based visualizations, there is still the short buffer delay (5-10 seconds?)

Anyone here tried something like this yet? Watching the screensaver visualizations on the squeezebox display is still pretty cool, but watching an in-sync g-force visualization on a big screen TV would be amazing.

Jim

A very cool idea. As you say, it doesn't seem possible to synchronise the SB or SoftSqueeze with a slimserver stream to make use of an iTunes visualiser.

To achieve something similar, I synchronised my SB2 with SoftSqueeze, then using Nicecast, I broadcast the SoftSqueeze audio from a URL. I was then able to point iTunes at the URL and use the iTunes visualisers.

I then connected my PowerBook to the TV. There is a delay of a second or so between the audio from iTunes and audio on the SB2 but the visualisers are so abstract that I didn't think this really matters. (I obviously muted the audio from the PowerBook and TV when listening to the SB2)

I think there is a PC application similar to Nicecast which allows you to broadcast audio from a URL but I can't remember what it is called.

One problem with this method is that because I am using Nicecast to broadcast the audio, you don't get the track information.

I think a better solution would be some sort of integration between SoftSqueeze and a visualiser like G-Force. I see that G-Force already supports integration with a number of players such as iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player, J River, Foobar and others - I'll post a note on the 3rd party plug-ins forum to see if anyone knows if work would be required on G-Force, SoftSqueeze or both.

Jim Larson
2005-11-21, 22:48
I purchased G-Force Platinum for $30 -- it comes with a Standalone version that will work with anything going thru my sound card. I just start up SoftSqueeze first, then set the G-Force toolbar preferences > Audio Source to "What U Hear". Works perfectly! -- no delay at all.

It's way too late tonight to start crawling around behind my PC desk & A/V stand to hook up the long video cable. And I don't want to be up all night watching & tweaking G-Force. But I think I'm ready to rock & get hypnotized here... 8^P

Jim

oktup
2005-11-22, 05:32

I am (to my shame) strongly tempted to get an Xbox 360 now, after discovering that the one and only Jeff Minter has got his lightsynth stuff built into it. Have a peep at http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/neon.php - looks neat. (Apparently it will also become available for stand-alone PCs, but you obviously lose the convenience factor there.) If the next generation of consoles are properly network-aware, and can stream audio, video, images etc, it's some aggressive competition for all network audio players...

Scooter
2006-09-12, 17:59
One idly wonders if there are visualisation libraries out there that
could be included in SoftSqueeze. Just a thought.

Ryan Geiss open-sourced Milk Drop - the popular vis plugin for WinAmp. It is on my list of things I'll probably never get time to do to see if I could make it work with SoftSqueeze. (Syncing AND Pretty patterns - the holy grail of Slimserver playback :P)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/milkdrop/