PDA

View Full Version : Crossed over SB3

Verinnal
2005-11-17, 23:44
Today I just received my SB3 and I'm experiencing the most peculiar behavior. I have the SB3 connected to a switch with a plan old cat 5e ethernet cable (not a crossover cable). The SB3 reports that the cable is not connected and the wired interface won't get a dynamically assigned address and static addresses don't work either (and they shouldn't since the port appears to be disconnected). Ok, fine... I take another ethernet cable to make sure that I'm not going crazy and I'm not accidentally using a crossover cable (which I can't possibly be since I looked at the pairs and its definitely a straight through cable) and use that for testing. Same deal. I then take that and plug it into a different switch on the same network. Same deal. I plug the laptop into each switch using these same cables to test and it works fine. I then plug the SB3 directly into my laptop using the same cables I've been using and both cables work! Is there a typo in the manual when it claims that you need to use a regular cable to connect your SB3 to a switch (i.e. I should use a crossover cable to connect to my switch and a straight through cable to connect to my laptop)? This seems like it breaks the traditional rule of networking which typically says that you use crossover cables to connect similar device types (nic to nic, switch to switch, etc).

Also, on a side note, my SB3 is reporting itself as being a SB2. Is this pretty normal?

seanadams
2005-11-18, 01:44
It's wired in the normal way, i.e. straight-thru cable for going to a switch - must be something we're missing here.

oreillymj
2005-11-18, 14:16
Although it shouldn't be the case, I have seen issues where cables which work with 1 piece of equipment, will not work with another.

It appears to be related to Auto speed negotiation. Can you change any options in your switch to disable 10/100 auto speed detection?

If you connect 2 pieces of equipment with this speed detection using certain cables, they never settle on any particular speed and spend all their time switching from 10->100->10.

adhawkins
2005-11-18, 15:42
Hi,

In article <oreillymj.1ypo2z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
oreillymj<oreillymj.1ypo2z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> It appears to be related to Auto speed negotiation. Can you change any
> options in your switch to disable 10/100 auto speed detection?

But the OP says it worked when he connected a straight through cable between
his laptop and Squeezebox...

Andy

dean
2005-11-19, 11:41
On Nov 18, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Andy Hawkins wrote:
> But the OP says it worked when he connected a straight through
> cable between
> his laptop and Squeezebox...
Some computers (including all recent Macs) do auto-crossover so you
can put either cable in and it'll work.

adhawkins
2005-11-19, 17:00
Hi,

In article <D61EE0DA-8165-49BF-BD38-B5441154D9BC (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>,
dean blackketter<dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
> Some computers (including all recent Macs) do auto-crossover so you
> can put either cable in and it'll work.

Wasn't aware of that. I've heard of switches doing the autodetect, but not
end machines.

Andy