PDA

View Full Version : SBs keep turning themselves on

max.spicer
2005-11-17, 15:09
Since I've had more than one squeezebox, I keep noticing them turning themselves on. I leave my squeezebox downstairs powered off overnight, when I come down in the morning it's back on again. Likewise, the one upstairs was off at the start of the evening, but was on when my wife went into the room earlier. Neither device is starting to play, they just turn the display on and show the current menu or now playing info. I have the two devices synced, but they are set to power on/off independently. Up until this evening I was running 6.2.x, I've switched back to the trunk now in order to get back to coding (I took a break to enjoy the music!). Is this a known issue with synced players or a new bug?

Max

Richie
2005-11-17, 15:54
Max,

Have you checked the 'brightness when off' setting is set to 0. If
it's not, I find that turning the SB off makes the screen go blank and
at some random point later the screen comes on again. I also seem to
accidentally change the brightness settings when I upgrade the
firmware.

Richard

max.spicer
2005-11-18, 05:48
It is 0.

I've noticed today that the device isn't actually powering on, it's just displaying a screen as if it was - this morning I had the Plugins menu displayed. When I pressed Power, the device showed the welcome screen as if it had previously been powered off. Unfortunately, I didn't try using the arrow keys whilst it was in the off state. I'll try that if it does it again tomorrow morning.

Max

Max,

Have you checked the 'brightness when off' setting is set to 0. If
it's not, I find that turning the SB off makes the screen go blank and
at some random point later the screen comes on again. I also seem to
accidentally change the brightness settings when I upgrade the
firmware.

Richard

xio
2005-11-18, 09:00
I had a similar problem with an sbg - strange thing is that the other (3) devices were all fine. I moved it into another room and it's been fine since, making me think it's some kind of ir interference. Thing is, I replaced it in its original location with an SB2 and that doesn't turn on mysteriously...

Triode
2005-11-18, 12:19
Max,

The player doesn't actually do anything special when in off mode, its just that the server sends it different screens to display and does not respond to all the remote keys. Hence whatever you are seeing is server issue [I'm assuming the player is connected to a server]

[put a bt() in Slim::Player::Player::power if you want to know what it causing it to change state...]

oreillymj
2005-11-18, 14:00
BTW - I've noticed that doing a server rescan will cause the display on my SB2 to come on.

Presumably to show the rescanning message I've noticed in SoftSqueeze.

Although there could be URL somewhere in the UI triggering a power on command.

max.spicer
2005-11-19, 03:21
I'll have a look. It did it again this morning, so I tried using the menus and things. They all worked as normal. When I then pressed Power, it "turned on". According to my wife, the player upstairs restarted its current track and possibly skipped to a new one whilst I was doing this. This in itself is odd, as the player downstairs wasn't playing, and I didn't do anything that would affect play state - I just navigated through some menus.

Max

Max,

The player doesn't actually do anything special when in off mode, its just that the server sends it different screens to display and does not respond to all the remote keys. Hence whatever you are seeing is server issue [I'm assuming the player is connected to a server]

[put a bt() in Slim::Player::Player::power if you want to know what it causing it to change state...]

Dick Sternum
2005-11-30, 07:39
I notice the same thing with my two SB1's (although not with the SB2). I have put it down to the lights activating the IR sensor as it appears to come on most of the time when I switch on the lights in the room. For a while my girlfriend thought they were haunted!!