PDA

View Full Version : Slow searches in 6.2.1

mikerob
2005-11-17, 13:04
There seems to be a distinct slow down of web browser searches on my system since going to 6.2.1.

It takes between 25-30 seconds to return a search result for a 4-5 character phrase and can take as long as 45-60 seconds.

My collection is 4500 tracks with a mixture of AAC, ALAC and MP3.

System is Mac Mini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM running OSX 10.4.3.

I don't use iTunes or many other 3rd party plug-ins (except Music Magic Mixer but this doesn't make any difference)

Safari and Firefox both give similar search times.

I get these search times with no music playing and the Mac Activity Monitor doesn't show anything unusual - perl ticking along at less than 5% CPU.

In Home / Server Settings / Performance I have Database Temporary File Tuning (SQLite) set to "Use RAM as temporary storage" and Database Cache Size Tuning (SQLite) set to 300000.

Searching used to be a lot faster in previous releases - what times are other people getting with 6.2.1?

What debug options would be best to collect during a search to see what is happening?

Dan Sully
2005-11-17, 13:06
* mikerob shaped the electrons to say...

>What debug options would be best to collect during a search to see what
>is happening?

--d_sql will show you the queries being generated.

-D
--
<phone> i am a sausage fan

mikerob
2005-11-17, 13:34
Cheers Dan - I've got some d_sql traces and I'll put them in a bug report (unless I hear that searches of 30-60 seconds are to be expected!)

Dan Sully
2005-11-17, 13:42

>Cheers Dan - I've got some d_sql traces and I'll put them in a bug
>report (unless I hear that searches of 30-60 seconds are to be expected!)

They are not. :)

-D
--
<iNoah> all your base class are belong to us

mikerob
2005-11-17, 14:43
Hmmm... very strange - I restarted the Mac and the search results are now virtually immediate. I'll raise a bug with d_sql info if it happens again.

mikerob
2005-11-17, 17:25
Hmmm... very strange - I restarted the Mac and the search results are now virtually immediate. I'll raise a bug with d_sql info if it happens again.

The problem seems to be time related (memory leak?). After my Mac had been left on for a few hours, the searches take at least 25-30 secs again but go back to virtually immediate after a restart. Have raised bugid 2591.

Dan Sully
2005-11-17, 17:30

>The problem seems to be time related (memory leak?). After my Mac had
>been left on for a few hours, the searches take at least 25-30 secs
>again but go back to virtually immediate after a restart. Have raised
>bugid 2591.

How much memory is SlimServer taking after it starts exhibiting slow searches?

-D
--
<fuz> deregulation will lead to greater competition, consumer choice, and lower prices.
my name is elmer fudd. I own a mansion and a yacht.

mikerob
2005-11-17, 17:39
[color=blue]

How much memory is SlimServer taking after it starts exhibiting slow searches?

Will email you with after it has been on for a few hours Dan. Unfortunately I didn't check before the last restart.