PDA

View Full Version : using coax + analog output simultaneously

SlimPvC
2005-11-16, 13:22
I'm using both outputs now (to different receivers) for testing purposes. Works fine: both amps get their signal. But I just wonder: could this possibly harm the SB2?

Peter

seanadams
2005-11-16, 13:47
no it's fine

SlimPvC
2005-11-16, 14:20
Thanks, Sean.
I really wouldn't want to hurt it!

SlimPvC
2006-01-22, 12:09
I recently began experiencing a problem using the coax output (to a surround receiver) and the analog output (to a stereo receiver). I'm sure the problem started recently, because I have not noticed it before.

The problem is that the coax connection produces a heavily distorted (unlistenabla) signal as soon as the analog cable is connected (even if the stereo amp is off). The sound is OK again after disconnecting the analog cable. The analog connection is fine.

Could this problem be introduced by a recent sofware update? I'm using SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 5574 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

paulrusnak
2006-01-22, 13:17
I am using the optical out and the analog outs at the same time and also having good results.

Is there a way to control the volume of the analog outputs seperately from the optical outputs?

Paul

kdf
2006-01-22, 15:02
paulrusnak wrote:
> I am using the optical out and the analog outs at the same time and also
> having good results.
>
> Is there a way to control the volume of the analog outputs seperately
> from the optical outputs?
>

in the player settings, you can set the digital outputs to fixed. The
volume then ajusts analog output only, and the digital is simply fixed
at the "best case" volume, leaving you to adjust at your amp.

-k

ceejay
2006-01-22, 16:19
The problem is that the coax connection produces a heavily distorted (unlistenabla) signal as soon as the analog cable is connected (even if the stereo amp is off). The sound is OK again after disconnecting the analog cable. The analog connection is fine.

Could this problem be introduced by a recent sofware update? I'm using SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 5574 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Sounds more like an electrical problem than a software one. Might you have changed something around the power supplies to the amplifiers? Or perhaps some other connectivity between them? I'm just wondering if connecting up the analog cable is creating an earth loop. Is it possible you could use optical digital instead of the the coax?

Ceejay

SlimPvC
2006-01-24, 14:07
Sounds more like an electrical problem than a software one. Might you have changed something around the power supplies to the amplifiers? Or perhaps some other connectivity between them? Ceejay

You were right about this. I was trying to do something that the electrical circuitry obviously didn't like. All is well again right after disconnecting. Thanks for reacting