PDA

View Full Version : Is 6.2.1 compatible with SliMP3, 466Mhz G4?

Steve Frawley
2005-11-15, 19:21
I have a 466 Sawtooth Mac G4 with 1.25 GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.4.3 for my
server machine. I have three SliMP3's and can't afford a the new machines,
especially if my G4 is underpowered.

I had problems with 6.2 and backed off to 5.4. Will I have better luck with
6.2.1? I have about 60k songs.

Is there a minimum spec listing anywhere to help decide? Last couple times I
asked a question nobody answered and I saw where someone with problems only
got flamed.

Steve Frawley <Steve (AT) Frawleys (DOT) com>
From the Titanium PowerBook

Bonesteel
2005-11-15, 20:20
I would be the recipient of that flame.

It would be nice to see what OS X system configurations the new release was tested on, how many songs in the library, and how the resulting metrics compare to the same in house platform(s) running earlier versions (e.g. 5.4) of the server.

How about some info gentlemen?

Ben Sandee
2005-11-15, 20:51
On 11/15/05, Bonesteel <Bonesteel.1ykl7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I would be the recipient of that flame.
>
> It would be nice to see what OS X system configurations the new release
> was tested on, how many songs in the library, and how the resulting
> metrics compare to the same in house platform(s) running earlier
> versions (e.g. 5.4) of the server.

Consider yourself flamed I guess, if that's how you want to feel.

I think you'll find that nobody can predict whether or not the software will
perform to your expectations. Everyone's libraries and expectations are
different. I'm running 6.2.1 with 12K tracks on a P3-400 linux box with
256mb RAM -- I'm also running the same library on a Athlon Tbird 2000+and to
tell you the truth I can't tell the difference between the two, really. I
have no issues with performance but 60K tracks that Steve has is a lot more,
admittedly.

But you guys are right, it does cost an arm and a leg to try 6.2.1 -- maybe
you can get a refund if it doesn't work for you?

Ben

malsbury
2005-11-15, 23:00
I have a 466 Sawtooth Mac G4 with 1.25 GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.4.3 for my
server machine. I have three SliMP3's and can't afford a the new machines,
especially if my G4 is underpowered.I normally run SlimServer on a PC with linux, but since I can't seem to sleep tonight I thought I would test a few things for you. I dug out an old G3 450 w/ 384 mb RAM with 10.3 installed that haven't been using.

6.2.1 installed without incident. I pointed the music folder to the drive on my linux box so it had access to my entire collection of about 15k tracks. This is a mix of about 70% mp3 and 30% aac. The initial scan was obviously a little slower then my P4 1.6 Ghz, but I was able to play to one of my slimp3s during the scan, so it really wasn't a problem.

Now that the scan is complete, it seems to be running just fine. I have 6 slimp3s running off it now. I haven't tried to sync them, everyone is sleeping and probably wouldn't appreciate it.

YMMV, but it looks like your setup should be fine for 6.2.1, given that you have 1.25 GB of RAM I don't think your 60k collection should present a problem after the initial scan.

--Tom Malsbury

Bonesteel
2005-11-16, 05:35
Again a smart reply Ben, but yet again not specific to my post.

For you I will repeat. Why can't Slim Devices document how they test the release so we can see how our set up compares before we try it? Your "arm and leg:" scenario? Perhaps you're just not as busy as the rest of us.

Also, why can't they post recommended minimal configurations beyond a simple OS release number? Any reasonably experienced IT person know that variables other than the OS number directly impact performance, especially given that OS X is very RAM hungry.

JB

mattybain
2005-11-16, 07:43
Steve - As you can see Malsbury has tested it on a G3 350mhz with no real problems so you should be fine. However could there be something specific about your set up that is causing problems? if you posted with more details of the problem then perhaps someone could help. I would suggest trying 6.21 and then reporting back if it still seems unusable.

Bonesteel - Whilst I agree that SlimDevices should indicate a minimum spec for Mac's if they do it will probably be in excess of what is actually required. For instance the 733mhz guidance for PC's is probably more like 300-400mhz in reality as my P3 400 mhz has no problem with 30k tracks. Not sure how this guidance is going to help with marginal systems.

I don't really understand how long it takes to install the new version of slimserver. For me it is a simply case of downloading it, installing it and then trying it, possibly 5 minutes of actual intervention at the very max.

Bonesteel
2005-11-16, 08:17
Steve - As you can see Malsbury has tested it on a G3 350mhz with no real problems so you should be fine. However could there be something specific about your set up that is causing problems? if you posted with more details of the problem then perhaps someone could help. I would suggest trying 6.21 and then reporting back if it still seems unusable.

Bonesteel - Whilst I agree that SlimDevices should indicate a minimum spec for Mac's if they do it will probably be in excess of what is actually required. For instance the 733mhz guidance for PC's is probably more like 300-400mhz in reality as my P3 400 mhz has no problem with 30k tracks. Not sure how this guidance is going to help with marginal systems.

I don't really understand how long it takes to install the new version of slimserver. For me it is a simply case of downloading it, installing it and then trying it, possibly 5 minutes of actual intervention at the very max.

As has been noted by many here, each configuration may differ beyond the details described. My G4 350mhz with 1 Gig of RAM would presumably be faster than Malsbury's box, yet 6.2 on my box was unusable.

This is another example of why Slim should publish how they test each release, so that we need not hunt and peck for reference points that are disparate and inconsistent. They write the code, can't they share how it is tested and how it performs? Tell me the baseline required is "X", and I won't have to dick around with it if I don't meet "X". Alternatively, I can upgrade if need be.

And FINE if they offer it in excess of what will really run. If I go at it with less than the minimum I would have to expect to be at my own risk.

Finally, sure the actual install and start up is no more than 5 minutes, but once things go south and you attempt to tweak things in an attempt to make it work, end up throwing up your hands, and rolling back to 5.4, you're in to some more significant time - and for what?

If I'm running 6.1.1 and all functions fine (e.g. meets the WAF), then I upgrade to 6.2 (or 6.2.1) (after being prompted for the new version) with NO changes on my system or NO changes in requirements published from the Slim folks, and I get basic start up and web interface issues, then that server software should not be released. It's as simple as that.

JB

Steve Frawley
2005-11-16, 08:19
Thanx Tom

I will install and post if I have problems. . . . and keep my fingers
crossed. I really appreciate your feedback!

on 11/15/05 11:00 PM, malsbury at
malsbury.1yksmb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com wrote:

>
> Steve Frawley Wrote:
>> I have a 466 Sawtooth Mac G4 with 1.25 GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.4.3 for
>> my
>> server machine. I have three SliMP3's and can't afford a the new
>> machines,
>> especially if my G4 is underpowered.

>I normally run SlimServer on a PC with
> linux, but since I can't seem to
> sleep tonight I thought I would test a few things for you. I dug out
> an old G3 450 w/ 384 mb RAM with 10.3 installed that haven't been
> using.
>
> 6.2.1 installed without incident. I pointed the music folder to the
> drive on my linux box so it had access to my entire collection of about
> 15k tracks. This is a mix of about 70% mp3 and 30% aac. The initial
> scan was obviously a little slower then my P4 1.6 Ghz, but I was able
> to play to one of my slimp3s during the scan, so it really wasn't a
> problem.
>
> Now that the scan is complete, it seems to be running just fine. I
> have 6 slimp3s running off it now. I haven't tried to sync them,
> everyone is sleeping and probably wouldn't appreciate it.
>
> YMMV, but it looks like your setup should be fine for 6.2.1, given that
> you have 1.25 GB of RAM I don't think your 60k collection should present
> a problem after the initial scan.
>
> --Tom Malsbury
>

Steve Frawley <Steve (AT) Frawleys (DOT) com>
From the Titanium PowerBook

Ben Sandee
2005-11-16, 09:19
On 11/16/05, Bonesteel <Bonesteel.1ylawn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Again a smart reply Ben, but yet again not specific to my post.
>
> For you I will repeat. Why can't Slim Devices document how they test
> the release so we can see how our set up compares before we try it?
> Your "arm and leg:" scenario? Perhaps you're just not as busy as the
> rest of us.
>
> Also, why can't they post recommended minimal configurations beyond a
> simple OS release number? Any reasonably experienced IT person know
> that variables other than the OS number directly impact performance,
> especially given that OS X is very RAM hungry.
>

The numbers/stats Issued by SlimDevices will be no more reliable at
predicting performance or suitability than reading them on a forum. It's
crystal clear that two systems that appear to be identical in all respects
can generate completely different performance characteristics and the effort
should be spent addressing the specific issues at hand (through bug
reports!) not trying to disqualify systems from running the software using
"official" minimum requirements.

Ben