PDA

View Full Version : Did The Boys At Slim Do A Bad Thing By Being So Customer Friendly?



blah509
2005-11-15, 14:38
I just got done reading a post by on the forum that had a link (http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...iews_ id=1947)to some person who was upset that his email wasn't responded to.

Now I have been following this forum for some time and I generally don't come out of the shadows to vote yeah or neah on issues, but I think that this is a little uncalled for by this person.

Regardless of whether or not SD received or responded to the email is besides the point. This person, obviously gave it the "no college try" and bailed. If someone wants something to work correctly (which my squeezebox does) they need to work a little at it to get the results desired. The squeezebox is a phenominal little device.

I too when I first received it was frustrated by the setup (everything is wireless, including my storage) of the system. But with a little bit of work and alot of reading (of this forum!) I figured it out.

If you are the type that gives up after the first shot, then don't buy this product. Save the moderators and all of the good Squeezebox owners who help you time and effort.

If you want to be really satisfied by a "great" musical device then read this forum and the manual.....and ye shall receive..

Sorry for the rant...keep up the good work Slimdevices!

g
http://www.illmethinks.com

MrC
2005-11-15, 15:01
You can't please everyone.

danco
2005-11-15, 15:09
On 15/11/05 at 13:38 -0800, blah509 wrote
>Regardless of whether or not SD received or responded to the email is
>besides the point.


I don't think I would agree. But SD are usually good at replying, so
I would guess that they either have not had the time to reply, or
else have not received his email. Some ISPs are very aggressive in
their anti-spam policy, and block all users from some other ISPs
because one user has been sending spam. I wonder if this has happened.

>This person, obviously gave it the "no college try"
>and bailed. If someone wants something to work correctly (which my
>squeezebox does) they need to work a little at it to get the results
>desired.

This guy just says that, when he had not yet got the SB, "the
software refused to work". I wonder what he was trying to do.
--
Daniel Cohen

kdf
2005-11-15, 15:29
then, after a few days the user finally realises that an overzealous spam filter falsely bounced the support reponse into the spam bin. of course, feels silly and may go so far as to reply to support apologising for having missed the email initially, but it never occurs to post a retraction. with any completely open review system, it is always reader beware :)

Jim
2005-11-15, 18:20
Yeah but you're all forgetting now that the Squeezebox is not just for techies and geeks anymore. Was it not on here I saw someone the other day asking which was the best soundcard to plug his Squeezbox into when he got it? Clearly buying a product without even understanding exactly what it is or how it works, lucky if you get a Slim but with customers buying blind we can see how R**u survive.

And with everyone having hundreds of iTunes purchased "tunes" because they couldn't be arsed to go down the shops and buy a CD and rip it, and with today's want-now, must-have-now mentality is anyone suprised somone can't wait a few hours for support?

trebejo
2005-12-03, 17:58
Poor guy... he probably felt that his only interaction with the company was going to happen via the UPS truck, and he blew the obvious valve.

There was a time where we required an expert to stand in front of us, or sit next to us, or in some other way make eye contact before we got on the ride. Now we see a web ad, maybe even read an online review and click it on over.

The guy that bellyached is yelping against alienation, and the way that modern corpos abuse consumers. He just happened to yelp at some people that are certainly not rip-off artists but his instincts would all-too-often be right. Maybe he'll learn about online forums someday. :)

How does a company like slimd explain the length and slope of the learning curve without losing new customers? I'm sure there are answers to that question, but it's a tricky question...

enduser
2005-12-06, 04:05
Poor guy... he probably felt that his only interaction with the company was going to happen via the UPS truck, and he blew the obvious valve.

There was a time where we required an expert to stand in front of us, or sit next to us, or in some other way make eye contact before we got on the ride. Now we see a web ad, maybe even read an online review and click it on over.

The guy that bellyached is yelping against alienation, and the way that modern corpos abuse consumers. He just happened to yelp at some people that are certainly not rip-off artists but his instincts would all-too-often be right. Maybe he'll learn about online forums someday. :)

How does a company like slimd explain the length and slope of the learning curve without losing new customers? I'm sure there are answers to that question, but it's a tricky question...
Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices telling me flat out lies just so they could keep my money. So I would say that all is not roses at Slim Devices.
The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have basic integrity issues.

radish
2005-12-06, 06:44
Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices telling me flat out lies just so they could keep my money. So I would say that all is not roses at Slim Devices.
The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have basic integrity issues.
I'd love to see some evidence for that because, frankly, I don't believe you.

pfarrell
2005-12-06, 06:54
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 05:44 -0800, radish wrote:
> enduser Wrote:
> > Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the
> > customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices
>> [snip]
> I'd love to see some evidence for that because, frankly, I don't
> believe you.

Not me, I have no interest in flamewars. And this
sure looks like it has potential to be one.

Do not feed the trolls.


--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com

enduser
2005-12-06, 07:24
I'd love to see some evidence for that because, frankly, I don't believe you.LOL! Evidence indeed. Even if someone posts evidence it doesn't open the mind of a someone who has already made up his mind.

seanadams
2005-12-06, 07:42
The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have basic integrity issues.

Indeed!

As a matter of fact, just the other day I called up Steve Jobs because Mail was crashing. He tweaked the source and emailed me a new binary while we were on the phone, but he told me all sorts of lies too about... uh... this that and the other. I am never doing business with that company and their Policy of Lies again!!!

Oh... except for the order I just placed on 11/28, inv # 1133170066-559

Hope the new SB3 is working out for you. :)

radish
2005-12-06, 07:43
LOL! Evidence indeed. Even if someone posts evidence it doesn't open the mind of a someone who has already made up his mind.

Actually I hadn't made up my mind, but I have now. Pat's right.

/ignore

enduser
2005-12-06, 08:00
Indeed!

As a matter of fact, just the other day I called up Steve Jobs because Mail was crashing. He tweaked the source and emailed me a new binary while we were on the phone, but he told me all sorts of lies too about... uh... this that and the other. I am never doing business with that company and their Policy of Lies again!!!

Oh... except for the order I just placed on 11/28, inv # 1133170066-559

Hope the new SB3 is working out for you. :)LOL. Don't you have wireless and other bugs that need fixing? There's only 21 days left to make the SB3 work like you advertised it does... so I suggest you get to work. Before I send your little toy back to you with a PoL "false advertising" sticker on it ;-)

P.S. Anyone can piss a second chance down the drain. Even a petty little rat of a CEO.

trebejo
2005-12-06, 08:09
Indeed!

As a matter of fact, just the other day I called up Steve Jobs because Mail was crashing. He tweaked the source and emailed me a new binary while we were on the phone, but he told me all sorts of lies too about... uh... this that and the other. I am never doing business with that company and their Policy of Lies again!!!



Dammit, Adams, instead of pestering him about his version of mail (you coulda used pine after all) couldn't you get him to fix his iTunes so that it'd work properly with the squeezebox?

Priorities!

Fifer
2005-12-06, 08:33
Dammit, Adams, instead of pestering him about his version of mail (you coulda used pine after all) couldn't you get him to fix his iTunes so that it'd work properly with the squeezebox?
Perhaps he did and was just lying about the Mail binary ...

dean
2005-12-06, 09:27
On Dec 6, 2005, at 3:05 AM, enduser wrote:
>> How does a company like slimd explain the length and slope of the
>> learning curve without losing new customers? I'm sure there are
>> answers
>> to that question, but it's a tricky question...
> Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the
> customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices
> telling me flat out lies just so they could keep my money. So I would
> say that all is not roses at Slim Devices.
> The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer
> unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have
> basic integrity issues.

This really hurts, but it's also incredibly vague.

Can you give some details about what happened so we can clear this up?

-dean

enduser
2005-12-06, 09:53
On Dec 6, 2005, at 3:05 AM, enduser wrote:
>> How does a company like slimd explain the length and slope of the
>> learning curve without losing new customers? I'm sure there are
>> answers
>> to that question, but it's a tricky question...
> Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the
> customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices
> telling me flat out lies just so they could keep my money. So I would
> say that all is not roses at Slim Devices.
> The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer
> unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have
> basic integrity issues.

This really hurts, but it's also incredibly vague.

Can you give some details about what happened so we can clear this up?

-dean
Call me and we can talk about it. You have my phone number. Heck, part of my phone number is in the private order number your CEO posted on this forum! Should I send a letter to "privacy@slimdevices.com"? LOL.

I hope someone understands posting private information is illegal. Seriously. LOL. The absurdity is too much.

You may wish to consider changing your company name to "Music Lovin' Criminals". You could then cross out the word "not" on your stickers and autograph them! Maybe add little slogans like "customers suck!" and "you can never do too little for the customer!". That would really make them collectible. Dumb customers like myself could keep buying SBs and in time collect the entire set! LOL.

seanadams
2005-12-06, 10:04
Heck, part of my phone number is in the private order number your CEO posted on this forum!

Our invoice numbers are just a time stamp.

For example, it is now 9:01:09 am.

As you can see, this almost perfectly matches our phone number, 650.210.9400!

Our phone number also appears at the 23,661,777th decimal place of pi.

Conspiracy? I think so.

kdf
2005-12-06, 10:04
On 6-Dec-05, at 8:53 AM, enduser wrote:

>
>
> I hope someone understands posting private information is illegal.
> Seriously. LOL. The absurdity is too much.
>
a number isn't private since anything attached to it is still closed up
at the source. Adding name/phone/address to that would be.

Libel is also illegal. Yes, I've made up my mind too :)

-kdf

enduser
2005-12-06, 10:11
On 6-Dec-05, at 8:53 AM, enduser wrote:

>
>
> I hope someone understands posting private information is illegal.
> Seriously. LOL. The absurdity is too much.
>
a number isn't private since anything attached to it is still closed up
at the source. Adding name/phone/address to that would be.

Libel is also illegal. Yes, I've made up my mind too :)

-kdfBelieve what you want to believe. You go look at the list of companies suing customers for 'libel' vs. the list of customers suing companies for 'fraud' and tell me what you learn.

enduser
2005-12-06, 10:17
Our invoice numbers are just a time stamp.

For example, it is now 9:01:09 am.

As you can see, this almost perfectly matches our phone number, 650.210.9400!

Our phone number also appears at the 23,661,777th decimal place of pi.

Conspiracy? I think so.You just published on a public forum my private order number. Part of which also looked like my phone number. You have no right -- and certainly no place -- doing such things. If I am suspicious of someone who has shown me without a doubt to be a lying crook, well, I'm not going to feel bad about that.

Jacob Potter
2005-12-06, 10:23
On 12/6/05, enduser <enduser.1zmp7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Conspiracy? I think so.You just published on a public forum my private order number. Part of
> which also looked like my phone number. You have no right -- and
> certainly no place -- doing such things. If I am suspicious of someone
> who has shown me without a doubt to be a lying crook, well, I'm not
> going to feel bad about that.

I think you're just paranoid.

1234567890

Do any of those digits appear in your phone number? I'M POSTING
PRIVATE INFORMATION!

- Jacob

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 10:28
Part of which also looked like my phone number.

Sigh.

My most recent SB order number (like anyone cares?): 1128971801-302

It has nothing in common with my phone number (though my phone number does have the 1, 3 and 7 and 9's in it, it's missing out on the 4 and the 5 from the area code...).

But if I look at the mail:
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

And then do this:

perl -e 'print scalar localtime 1128971801'

Guess what I get?

Mon Oct 10 12:16:41 2005

I don't know what the 302 is for, but it's certainly not my area code.

Do I care that someone knows I ordered a SB2 in October? Not really: I don't see what that information gives anyone. Especially since I've posted the same thing, and even posted when it arrived complete with a pony.

You've posted the number of days left on your guarantee, so, in effect, you've posted exactly the same information that's in the order number: the date/time the order was placed.

Not exactly exciting information.

enduser
2005-12-06, 10:30
On 12/6/05, enduser <enduser.1zmp7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Conspiracy? I think so.You just published on a public forum my private order number. Part of
> which also looked like my phone number. You have no right -- and
> certainly no place -- doing such things. If I am suspicious of someone
> who has shown me without a doubt to be a lying crook, well, I'm not
> going to feel bad about that.

I think you're just paranoid.

1234567890

Do any of those digits appear in your phone number? I'M POSTING
PRIVATE INFORMATION!

- JacobThe issue is with my private invoice number.
Expecting one's private information to be treated with respect is not paranoia. It is the law.

radish
2005-12-06, 10:36
It is not your number. It's SlimDevices' number - they created it for their use in their order tracking system.

docbee
2005-12-06, 10:56
Mr enduser,
I don't know what kind of problem you exactly have, but it is obviously a quite serious one. Did you consider to request some professional help?

enduser
2005-12-06, 11:01
Mr enduser,
I don't know what kind of problem you exactly have, but it is obviously a quite serious one. Did you consider to request some professional help?They sent me here. They told me I had not suffered enough abuse from nasty morons.

danco
2005-12-06, 11:02
It just occurs to me. On the Mac, as I mentioned previously, the
slimserversql.db is inside the Caches folder of the user library.

Some of the cleaning utilities can, I think, empty all this folder.

So take care, and make a copy of the file before doing deep cleaning.
--
Daniel Cohen

enduser
2005-12-06, 11:03
It is not your number. It's SlimDevices' number - they created it for their use in their order tracking system.The number and comments are unique to me as a customer. You will not find it legal for any company to publically post the order numbers of their customers. The information is connected to me. Get educated before you start saying what is right or wrong.

docbee
2005-12-06, 11:19
They sent me here. They told me I had not suffered enough abuse from nasty morons.
Enjoy your trip...

seanadams
2005-12-06, 11:23
You just published on a public forum my private order number.

You just posted unsubstatiated libel on a company's public forum.

I posted AN order number merely to indicate that I know who you are, and that, astoundingly, you continue to buy our products.

You seem quite concerned about the law; that's great - me too. I would suggest speaking to counsel before posting any more of this drivel.

Duman
2005-12-06, 11:25
I'm a lawyer, and your notions of the privacy laws are indisputably incorrect. Posting the order number generates no liability for Slim Devices. Drop the red herring.

You obviously want to air and resolve your grievances, since you posted to the forum. So PLEASE offer at least one shred of specific information that backs up your generalizations regarding Slim Devices. I am truly interested in hearing what could have provoked this sort of reaction, and in helping you appreciate what has become for me an indispensible appliance.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 11:30
You obviously want to air and resolve your grievances, since you posted to the forum. So PLEASE offer at least one shred of specific information that backs up your generalizations regarding Slim Devices. I am truly interested in hearing what could have provoked this sort of reaction, and in helping you appreciate what has become for me an indispensible appliance.

Heck, I'd settle for, "Hey, guys, how come my SB does <whatever> and how do I make it not do that?"

It's amazing the sort of responses you get here when you're actually polite and ask for help. It certainly works better than flailing your arms around calling everyone liars and threatening to sue, and leaving it up to everyone to guess what the actual problem is.

(BTW, SuperDateTime rocks... now I wanna get one of those weather station things so I have -real- conditions, not just what things are like at the airport... I'm Not At The Airport! Of course, that's after I figure out what I'm doing with 'home automation' stuff and how to work the SB into that..)

Maditude
2005-12-06, 12:15
snarlydwarf wrote:
> ...now I wanna get one of those weather station things so I have
> -real- conditions, not just what things are like at the
> airport... I'm Not At The Airport! Of course, that's after I
> figure out what I'm doing with 'home automation' stuff and how to
> work the SB into that...

I think it's time for an intervention here, snarly's going over the deep end of nerd-dom.



(Just kidding ya, snarly, couldn't resist -- I've had the exact same thought) ;-)

Roy Owen
2005-12-06, 12:59
Check out
http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_1.html&lang=en-us it
even comes with free (as in beer) and OS software.

On 12/6/05, Maditude <Maditude.1zmurb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> snarlydwarf wrote:
> > ...now I wanna get one of those weather station things so I have
> > -real- conditions, not just what things are like at the
> > airport... I'm Not At The Airport! Of course, that's after I
> > figure out what I'm doing with 'home automation' stuff and how to
> > work the SB into that...
>
> I think it's time for an intervention here, snarly's going over the
> deep end of nerd-dom.
>
>
>
> (Just kidding ya, snarly, couldn't resist -- I've had the exact same
> thought) ;-)
>
>
> --
> Maditude
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Maditude's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=426
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18223
>
>

enduser
2005-12-06, 15:22
I'm a lawyer, and your notions of the privacy laws are indisputably incorrect. Posting the order number generates no liability for Slim Devices. Drop the red herring.

You obviously want to air and resolve your grievances, since you posted to the forum. So PLEASE offer at least one shred of specific information that backs up your generalizations regarding Slim Devices. I am truly interested in hearing what could have provoked this sort of reaction, and in helping you appreciate what has become for me an indispensible appliance.You are not a privacy attorney that much is for sure. It is not a good legal position to post pieces of a customer's sales order on a public forum without permission of the customer. It is not just the sales order number, but snippets of comments from the order form. Even if it is quasi-legal because of undeveloped case law, it is not good business.

enduser
2005-12-06, 15:39
You just posted unsubstatiated libel on a company's public forum.

I posted AN order number merely to indicate that I know who you are, and that, astoundingly, you continue to buy our products.

You seem quite concerned about the law; that's great - me too. I would suggest speaking to counsel before posting any more of this drivel.Here you are again attacking me, Sean. I have 25 emails approximately, including several from yourself, your CTO, and one of your VPs. If you do not lay off me, you will be the one with everything to lose and your counsel calling you a bonehead. My experiences and facts are documented. I have an admission of the fault from a company officer. What else do I need? Go and actually ask your counsel before you spout off some more bullshit. Show your counsel what you have been doing on your forums. And get your lecture from him/her. Sheesh.

I have no clue as to what turns you into a rage-against-the-customer machine, but there is something really wrong here. Yes, I bought one of your products. Yes, I believed that it actually worked. That all the outputs that you advertised actually worked and had been tested. That there were not fundamental flaws with the hardware of the box. Tell me what is wrong with that. Spell it out, cause I'm obviously stupid.

Your company to the best of my knowledge screwed me out of nominally $200 by lying to me about problems with the SB1. That is why I am angry. Most people would likely agree, okay that is a good reason to be angry.

However, being something of an optimist, I decided to give your company a second chance. I mention that I had a bad experience on this public forum and that you and your company lied to me -- which they did -- and you attack me. And you just can't stop. The truth hurts, eh? Damn it must hurt for you to not be able to stop your mouth.

So here I am with a ton of facts backing up my position. But because I do have a modicum of integrity, I do not go cutting little snippets out and posting them on a public forum. That's something nasty little weasels do.

Do I need to play little games? No. I had a bad experience with you and your company. It was real. It continues. I have plenty of facts.

I asked you for a little scrap of decency in our private emails. Is your answer more and more games and BS in this forum? Or are you going to own up to the truth on this forum like I asked and the both of us move forward?

kdf
2005-12-06, 15:49
Quoting enduser <enduser.1zn40n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Do I need to play little games? No. I had a bad experience with you and
> your company. It was real. It continues. I have plenty of facts.

Please feel free to share those facts. I am guessing that by now, many
people would be more than happy to see those laid out instead of all
the threats and yelling from all sides. Clearly you feel wronged, and
we can all accept that you are very upset by it. You ask for decency,
so now I'm simply asking that you calmly present your facts, since you
have chosen to air all of this publicly.

If that is not something you wish to do, then I hope all of this public
posturing on all sides can be left for cooler heads and the proper
channels.

-kdf

enduser
2005-12-06, 15:57
Heck, I'd settle for, "Hey, guys, how come my SB does <whatever> and how do I make it not do that?"

It's amazing the sort of responses you get here when you're actually polite and ask for help. It certainly works better than flailing your arms around calling everyone liars and threatening to sue, and leaving it up to everyone to guess what the actual problem is.

(BTW, SuperDateTime rocks... now I wanna get one of those weather station things so I have -real- conditions, not just what things are like at the airport... I'm Not At The Airport! Of course, that's after I figure out what I'm doing with 'home automation' stuff and how to work the SB into that..)You're right. We already went down that path. I have plenty of emails where I asked very nicely about things. Gave extremely detailed steps to reproduce the issues. And I was lied to by the company. The flaw with the core chip was not disclosed to me and the issue was communicated as "we've got that bug in our buglist and we'll fix it soon". Sadly that was not the case. Yes, I am carrying around some anger. But this big thread is largely due to the company and its CEO not owning up to their past problems. Attacking the customer who wasted $200 on a device that didn't work is not the answer to anything. Not that I know of. Thanks for your ameliorating influences in this thread. Best.

Victor
2005-12-06, 16:02
As someone who is NOT a Slim employee (gotta clarify that lest I get some legal threats this way), but as someone who reads these forums and participates in the Slim community, let me ask (beg?) all of you -- stop feeding this troll.

He clearly thrives on playing the martyr in public and crying about how much he was wronged. Let him go deal with the Slim folks in private. I for one am tired of listening to him cry and seeing his name in my mail inbox. Just ignore him in public, and like all well trained trolls, he'll go back under the bridge he came from.

enduser
2005-12-06, 16:07
Quoting enduser <enduser.1zn40n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Do I need to play little games? No. I had a bad experience with you and
> your company. It was real. It continues. I have plenty of facts.

Please feel free to share those facts. I am guessing that by now, many
people would be more than happy to see those laid out instead of all
the threats and yelling from all sides. Clearly you feel wronged, and
we can all accept that you are very upset by it. You ask for decency,
so now I'm simply asking that you calmly present your facts, since you
have chosen to air all of this publicly.

If that is not something you wish to do, then I hope all of this public
posturing on all sides can be left for cooler heads and the proper
channels.

-kdf
All I said was this:
"Slim Devices could start, from the CEO down, by not lying to the customer. I had a very bad experience with many people at Slim Devices telling me flat out lies just so they could keep my money. So I would say that all is not roses at Slim Devices. The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have basic integrity issues."I attempted to add some perspective on a company that in my experience had some serious customer service and integrity issues.

It was not my intent to attack the company with a salvo of 25 emails and call for their heads. Heck, just 8 days ago I gave them another chance and bought a SB3.

For two reasons. First, their VP told me that the architecture was different and the crappy chip in the SB1 was gone. Second, I was optimistic based on the architecture and some time passing that the bugs had been fixed.

Discretion is the better part of valor. And while others want dirty laundry in public, I don't believe in that. I'm old. Fashioned. Both.

I was giving Slim Devices a 30 day shot at delivering a good product that worked as advertised. What is so damn wrong about that, I don't know. If you think I was stupid, that's okay. It wouldn't be the first or last dumb thing I do.

What I cannot get over is the insane response from the CEO who maybe felt he got busted or something. That's the only reason people react in those ways. Stuff that isn't true just gets shrugged off.

Anyhow, I am old and I really do not need this never-ending thread. I will see if what I asked for -- privately -- from Slim Devices shows up here. Otherwise, that's all folks. Sorry for the forest fire.

Mitch Harding
2005-12-06, 16:11
Dude, if you're going to air your grievances on a public thread, give us
your entire side of the story, including your alleged facts. Otherwise,
you're just wasting everyone's time, your own included.

On 12/6/05, enduser <enduser.1zn40n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> seanadams Wrote:
> > You just posted unsubstatiated libel on a company's public forum.
> >
> > I posted AN order number merely to indicate that *I* know who you are,
> > and that, astoundingly, you continue to buy our products.
> >
> > You seem quite concerned about the law; that's great - me too. I would
> > suggest speaking to counsel before posting any more of this drivel.Hereyou are again attacking me, Sean. I have 25 emails approximately,
> including several from yourself, your CTO, and one of your VPs. If you
> do not lay off me, you will be the one with everything to lose and your
> counsel calling you a bonehead. My experiences and facts are documented.
> I have an admission of the fault from a company officer. What else do I
> need? Go and actually ask your counsel before you spout off some more
> bullshit. Show your counsel what you have been doing on your forums.
> And get your lecture from him/her. Sheesh.
>
> I have no clue as to what turns you into a rage-against-the-customer
> machine, but there is something really wrong here. Yes, I bought one of
> your products. Yes, I believed that it actually worked. That all the
> outputs that you advertised actually worked and had been tested. That
> there were not fundamental flaws with the hardware of the box. Tell me
> what is wrong with that. Spell it out, cause I'm obviously stupid.
>
> Your company to the best of my knowledge screwed me out of nominally
> $200 by lying to me about problems with the SB1. That is why I am
> angry. Most people would likely agree, okay that is a good reason to be
> angry.
>
> However, being something of an optimist, I decided to give your company
> a second chance. I mention that I had a bad experience on this public
> forum and that you and your company lied to me -- which they did -- and
> you attack me. And you just can't stop. The truth hurts, eh? Damn it
> must hurt for you to not be able to stop your mouth.
>
> So here I am with a ton of facts backing up my position. But because I
> do have a modicum of integrity, I do not go cutting little snippets out
> and posting them on a public forum. That's something nasty little
> weasels do.
>
> Do I need to play little games? No. I had a bad experience with you and
> your company. It was real. It continues. I have plenty of facts.
>
> I asked you for a little scrap of decency in our private emails. Is
> your answer more and more games and BS in this forum? Or are you going
> to own up to the truth on this forum like I asked and the both of us
> move forward?
>
>
> --
> enduser
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> enduser's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2656
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18223
>
>

seanadams
2005-12-06, 16:14
enduser,

I apologize for all the frustrations you've experienced in dealing with our company.

You are absolutely correct, SB1 has bugs which remain open to this day.

Sorry again, and thank you for your understanding.

Sean

enduser
2005-12-06, 16:22
enduser,

I apologize for all the frustrations you've experienced in dealing with our company.

You are absolutely correct, SB1 has bugs which remain open to this day.

Sorry again, and thank you for your understanding.

SeanSean,

Thank you for your apology. I do accept the two part apology, including what was better not said here. You have a role to play that is much beyond mine.

I regret not handling things better as well. It was not my intent in any way to make this thread or even this forum a place to hang dirty laundry. Or even the volumes of email.

Honestly I believe the SB3 is a giant step forward from the SB1. It's not perfect, but for a year and a half, give or take, it is good progress.

Keep up the good work and think about some of the things I said offline.

Kindly,
The Enduser

newton
2005-12-06, 16:56
Honestly I believe the SB3 is a giant step forward from the SB1. It's not perfect, but for a year and a half, give or take, it is good progress.


So maybe I shouldn't have have bought that used SB1 after all! (It's not here, yet).

This thread was getting a little discouraging as a newcomer, but it's great to see the CEO personally involved.

Mitch Harding
2005-12-06, 17:26
For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry too much about this particular rant.

I think if you ask around, most people have had overwhelmingly positive
experiences with this company and its products. I continue to use my SB1
and SB2, and am trying to convince myself that I really need an SB3 also.
I've never witnessed better customer support from any other company I've
ever dealt with, or even heard of. Since Enduser was reluctant to explain
the particulars of his grievance, it's hard to say how legitimate it is.
But I can tell you from my personal experience that I am an extremely
satisfied customer, and I haven't had a single negative experience with this
company.

That said -- yes, the SB1 has some limitation which have been lifted in the
SB2 and SB3. There were a couple of bugs that could not be fixed, due to
the nature of the hardware. However, on these mailing lists and forums I
never saw Slim Devices ever misrepresent the facts about any of them. When
the bugs were first reported they said they would look into them, and then
after investigation they reported that they could not be fixed on the
current hardware.

The bug that comes to mind is that occasionally the left and right channels
would swap when starting a new track, so the sound would be reversed. On a
lot of music (to a lot of people), you wouldn't notice this anyway. But
there was a workaround to avoid this issue anyway. If I recall correctly,
as long as you always transcoded to WAV, you wouldn't hit it. I think it
only happened when it switched from playing WAV to MP3.

Anyway, don't get discouraged by this particular thread. The SB1 is solid,
and the SB2/3 are even better.

On 12/6/05, newton <newton.1zn7pz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> enduser Wrote:
> >
> > Honestly I believe the SB3 is a giant step forward from the SB1. It's
> > not perfect, but for a year and a half, give or take, it is good
> > progress.
> >
>
> So maybe I shouldn't have have bought that used SB1 after all! (It's
> not here, yet).
>
> This thread was getting a little discouraging as a newcomer, but it's
> great to see the CEO personally involved.
>
>
> --
> newton
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> newton's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2562
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18223
>
>

Michaelwagner
2005-12-06, 18:17
The company is very Apple-like (we will not do right by the customer unless you start a class action lawsuit against us) and seems to have basic integrity issues.
That has not been my experience. In fact, quite the contrary.

enduser
2005-12-06, 18:21
That has not been my experience. In fact, quite the contrary.I am probably unique in that they screwed me and I came back for another serving. Most people who don't get service likely never spend time in these forums. They are done with the company and move on.
There is a huge boom in Media PC and I'm guessing that this is the future for the mainstream.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 18:29
I am probably unique in that they screwed me and I came back for another serving. Most people who don't get service likely never spend time in these forums. They are done with the company and move on.
There is a huge boom in Media PC and I'm guessing that this is the future for the mainstream.

Icky.

Since you two have kissed and made up, how about actually letting people figure out what your current problem with your new SB3 is and how to fix it?

If you're serious about giving Slim a second chance, then you really have to put aside the hatred and bitterness and spend your energy on getting things to work.

The more energy you spend on bickering, the less energy you spend on making things work and the more likely you won't actually get it to work to your satisfaction.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-06, 18:34
You will not find it legal for any company to publically post the order numbers of their customers.
Wrong. In common North American business usage, your invoice number is printed on the documents on the outside of the box. It is available to anyone who comes near the package, including any postal people, customs inspectors, delivery people, etc.

Ergo, it is effectively public information.

enduser
2005-12-06, 18:43
Wrong. In common North American business usage, your invoice number is printed on the documents on the outside of the box. It is available to anyone who comes near the package, including any postal people, customs inspectors, delivery people, etc.

Ergo, it is effectively public information.Many companies have systems where you can look up orders by invoice number. Often these invoices contain important information. How many servers did your competitor order? Invoice numbers are not shipping numbers, not tracking numbers. They are not public numbers. I spent a year on this stuff. Most every piece of information has much stricter usage laws than people imagine, especially if a company operates under the EU Safe Harbor code. There are strict rules for people who ship packages. They are not the public. Go ask your corporate accounting department for a copy of all the invoice numbers. See if they give it to you.

... I can see why every job in this country is being offshored.

DrNic
2005-12-06, 18:53
OK,
stop. stop. stop.
Reconciliation appears to have occured between the aggrieved parties. Lets leave it at that.
I really don't think as adults (and I presume most of us are on this forum) we need to entertain childish games of "my knowledge is better than your knowledge on any subject". We have no proof of legitimacy of anyones claims, excepting trust. Now, there's a novel concept for the modern world...

Nic

Michaelwagner
2005-12-06, 18:56
Many companies have systems where you can look up orders by invoice number.
By invoice number alone? Without additional private information? Then those systems are insecure. That doesn't make the invoice number priviledged information.


Invoice numbers are not shipping numbers, not tracking numbers. They are not public numbers.
I have not worked in Europe in many years now, but in North America, pro forma invoices are required to be on the outside shipping documents of every package that crosses a border. Therefore they are available to the casual handler. Now, the pro forma invoice is not a complete invoice, it doesn't contain certain private information like phone numbers, but it does most certainly contain the invoice number of the corresponding full invoice. In fact, it is illegal not to do so.

Therefore invoice numbers are effectively public, and you are incorrect to assume they are private or in any way priviledged.

Perhaps the EU treats this differently. But I work in manufacturing in North America and I deal with this stuff every day. I know what information we put on packages, and I know that, if the driver has access to it, it isn't private.

Saying something is private when it demonstrably is not accomplishes nothing.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-06, 18:58
Reconciliation appears to have occured between the aggrieved parties. Lets leave it at that.
Point taken. Email took a while to get here.

Marc Sherman
2005-12-07, 06:29
enduser wrote:
> I am probably unique in that they screwed me and I came back for another
> serving.

Enduser (or whatever your name actually is), you've been asked multiple
times to either state the full facts of the case, or shut up about being
"screwed". You claim to not want to air dirty laundry in public, but
that's exactly what you're doing. Until you give a full account of the
story here for people to judge on its merits, and for Sean to rebut with
his own version of the facts, we're going to have to assume that you're
simply lying, because most of us have had pretty good experiences with
this company and pretty poor ones with you so far.

- Marc

Michaelwagner
2005-12-07, 06:40
It's probably best to let this thread die.