PDA

View Full Version : old pc and slimserver

giulianoz
2005-11-15, 14:19
Hi,
I've got an old pc based on via eden@400mhz (mini-itx motherboard, fanless, two ethernet onboard) with 512 mb of ram). I'm planning to use it as a dedicated slimserver. The OS will be gentoo with only sshd, dhcpd, slimserver installed on a 4gb microdrive (or a 1GB notebook hard disk if this is still working). The music library will be on a 3.5" maxtro eide disk (80gb). I'm still unsure about how to connect it to the sb2 (I need to check for compatibility an 11mbit usb wireless adapter).

Is there something else I should consider ? The cpu power should be quite good for the task and the memory should be no problems at all. what's about using USB hard disks for the library ? This motherboard only supports USB 1.1 :( I'm planning to use only one SB2

thanks

giuliano

Aaron Zinck
2005-11-15, 14:42
> Hi,
> I've got an old pc based on via eden@400mhz (mini-itx motherboard,
> fanless, two ethernet onboard) with 512 mb of ram). I'm planning to use
> it as a dedicated slimserver. The OS will be gentoo with only sshd,
> dhcpd, slimserver installed on a 4gb microdrive (or a 1GB notebook hard
> disk if this is still working). The music library will be on a 3.5"
> maxtro eide disk (80gb). I'm still unsure about how to connect it to
> the sb2 (I need to check for compatibility an 11mbit usb wireless
> adapter).
>
> Is there something else I should consider ? The cpu power should be
> quite good for the task and the memory should be no problems at all.
> what's about using USB hard disks for the library ? This motherboard
> only supports USB 1.1 :( I'm planning to use only one SB2
>
> thanks
>
> giuliano
>
>
> --
> giulianoz

Throughput via USB 1.1 won't be a problem if you're just streaming mp3. If,
however, you're looking to stream a lossless format then you'll be getting
closer to two-thirds or so of the theoretical throughput of the interface.
Even so, I'd guess it'd work for you just fine as long as the unit's doing
nothing else with that disk. Initial scanning of your collection may take
*quite a while*.

nmizel
2005-11-15, 14:46
Hi, I'm running SlimServer 6.1.1 on a VIA Eden 533MHz (Fedora FC3) with the music on a 250GB external USB 1.1 drive and it works flawlessly.

Cheers,
Nicolas

dwc
2005-11-15, 22:48
I just ordered a usb2 pcmcia card for an old laptop. I figure you should be able to get a pci usb2 card pretty cheap if you find that the usb 1 is too slow on your desktop box. Try the usb1, and order a usb2 card if it's too slow.

edit: not sure if your mini-mobo has any expansion slots...

-Dan

giulianoz
2005-11-15, 23:51
edit: not sure if your mini-mobo has any expansion slots...

bingo ! unfortunately the motherboard has no pci slots

thanks to all for the replies. I'll try usb disk and if it's too slow I'll switch to ide (maybe with a tray for easy hard disk swap)

giuliano

cliveb
2005-11-16, 03:47
bingo ! unfortunately the motherboard has no pci slots
Which mini-ITX mobo is this? As far as I can recall, all mini-ITX mobos have one PCI slot. From other things you've said (400MHz, Fanless, USB1.1 only), I'm guessing it's an EPIA 5000 (although that is 533MHz, but I'm pretty sure it's the slowest mini-ITX mobo around) and you've added a second LAN card in its single PCI slot.

If this is the case, and you're planning on using it as a dedicated Slimserver, you only need one LAN port, so you could remove the additional LAN card and that will free up the PCI slot.

giulianoz
2005-11-16, 03:56
Which mini-ITX mobo is this? As far as I can recall, all mini-ITX mobos have one PCI slot. From other things you've said (400MHz, Fanless, USB1.1 only), I'm guessing it's an EPIA 5000 (although that is 533MHz, but I'm pretty sure it's the slowest mini-ITX mobo around) and you've added a second LAN card in its single PCI slot.

If this is the case, and you're planning on using it as a dedicated Slimserver, you only need one LAN port, so you could remove the additional LAN card and that will free up the PCI slot.

Hi,
I think it's actually a mini-itx compatible motherboard. It's a cv860a (http://www.lex.com.tw:8080/product/CV860A.htm) with a VIA Eden Processor 400MHz, no pci slots and two ethernet controllers integrated on the motherboard. I used it as a soho firewall. At this time I'm starting the gentoo install process (it will take some time :) )

bye

giuliano

cliveb
2005-11-16, 07:52
I think it's actually a mini-itx compatible motherboard. It's a cv860a (http://www.lex.com.tw:8080/product/CV860A.htm) with a VIA Eden Processor 400MHz....
OK, took a look. This isn't actually mini-ITX compatible, as the dimensions are wrong (200x150, while mini-ITX is 170x170). Interesting looking device, though.

giulianoz
2005-11-22, 01:22
build is finished. I used a 4gb microdrive as boot media (but a 2gb should be enought to keep all, including portage, gcc and sources). It took a little to compile the whole system :)
after the base system I only have to download the slimserver and emerge the flac codec (the one provided with slimserver seems not to work well. the power seems to be enought for playing flac (600kbps+, stored in an external usb hard disk, usb 1) with winamp as client over a 100mbit network. I'll try it with the sb2 when I have some time.
the whole system (plus dhcp server, samba and webmin) boots in about 60 seconds (25 with initng but this gives me some trouble with services). cpu usage is about 4% on idle and 45-60% on flac playback

giuliano