PDA

View Full Version : Places to buy lossless tunes?

bludragon
2005-11-15, 11:04
OK, after 30 min or so of googling, I managed to find a few places selling FLAC format music files. However, none of it was of any band I'd ever heard of.

Are there any sites that sell popular music (i.e. anything I might find at cdwow.com) in a lossless format that can be converted to flac without losing any bits (i.e. doesn't include some limiting DRM).

My ideal world would be one where I could look at a track listing on a radio station, then go buy the tracks I liked, in a lossless format, and at whatever bit rate/sample rate the studio mixed them at...

bernt
2005-11-15, 12:22
Have a look at www.allofmp3.com. It's legal in Russia. ;)

max.spicer
2005-11-15, 14:52
If you're going to get stuff from there, I personally would say go and use Shareaza instead. The artists get no money from tracks purchased from allofmp3.com, and I see no reason to give my money to some nameless Russion outfit that is not really legal anyway!

Max

Have a look at www.allofmp3.com. It's legal in Russia. ;)

mikerob
2005-11-15, 15:52
Are there any sites that sell popular music (i.e. anything I might find at cdwow.com) in a lossless format that can be converted to flac without losing any bits (i.e. doesn't include some limiting DRM).

Maybe not to your musical taste, but www.stompy.com sells tracks in wav format. Stompy is "an online boutique specializing in Downloadable House Music. We bring you the chunkiest front edge deep underground house SINGLES that yearn to be played"

bludragon
2005-11-16, 03:10
mikerob: trance and hard house I can do, not so sure about house though...

bernt: dare I click on that link whilst I'm at work?

bernt
2005-11-16, 05:18
mikerob: trance and hard house I can do, not so sure about house though...

bernt: dare I click on that link whilst I'm at work?

Can't promise anything but I have'nt had any problem.

I have bought a few album from it, both mp3 and flac. And the quality is very good. The support is fast. One album did'nt play the hole song. They put back my money and reripped the album.

I don't say this is the best way to by music but this is the way an online store should work and it feels a little better than using p2p.

bludragon
2005-11-16, 06:21
Actually, just having a quick look around the site, they do appear to offer the sort of service I would like. Will have to look into the grey areas though.

mattybain
2005-11-16, 07:29
My understanding is that it is legal in the USSR but that the legality in the UK is undetermined.

I also believe that they do pay musical royalties to the Russian music federation just that it is not very much. According to the Sydney Morning Herald they have been investigated by the authorities in Russia and found not guilty of infringing copyright.

I have used them a bit over the past 18 months (mainly for copy protected CDs) and not had any problems with quality or had any dodgy credit card transactions.

It is important to note that as max said the artists will not be getting fair compensation for the music and that it is effectively helping kill music. However until such point whereby I can be assured that a CD I purchase in the high street can be ripped and played on my SB2 I will carry on the using it.

Jimmerz
2005-11-16, 09:31
Someone on this forum posted this a while back:
http://www.magnatune.com/

You probably wont find any artists you have heard of but there is some very good and original stuff there. They offer WAV, Flac and OGG as well as MP3 I think.

Josh Coalson
2005-11-17, 14:36
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#music