PDA

View Full Version : performance issues with slimserver



michaelch
2005-11-15, 09:07
I am running slimserver 6.2.1 -5119 on a windows xp. machine. Mem usage is showing as 88,716k far more than any other process on my machine, roughly double outlook for example.

Is this normal? I have disabled the itunes plugin and this does not seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?

JJZolx
2005-11-15, 09:43
I am running slimserver 6.2.1 -5119 on a windows xp. machine. Mem usage is showing as 88,716k far more than any other process on my machine, roughly double outlook for example.

Is this normal? I have disabled the itunes plugin and this does not seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?
Fairly normal, though maybe a little high. I'd expect 55-70MB for the average installation. Disable any plugins that you're not using - CLI is probably a good bet, MusicMagic and MoodLogic if you don't use them, XML, etc., etc. Then restart SlimServer. There also appear to be some unsolved memory leaks - I just noticed my installation is currently at 99MB, even though it starts out at under 55MB.

mherger
2005-11-15, 11:47
> There also appear to be some unsolved memory leaks

I wouldn't talk about leaks too quickly. Some functions or plugins only
use memory once they've been used. Eg. Shoutcast can swallow a megabyte
after it has loaded the stream list. This is not a leak. But before it has
loaded the data it simply won't use that memory.

Or change the language: german will almost double the consumption for the
strings as it will keep all the english strings plus the german ones in
ram.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

JJZolx
2005-11-15, 12:12
> There also appear to be some unsolved memory leaks

I wouldn't talk about leaks too quickly. Some functions or plugins only
use memory once they've been used. Eg. Shoutcast can swallow a megabyte
after it has loaded the stream list. This is not a leak. But before it has
loaded the data it simply won't use that memory.

Or change the language: german will almost double the consumption for the
strings as it will keep all the english strings plus the german ones in
ram.
The server starts at about 53MB and very gradually creeps upward. If it stayed under maybe 65 or 70MB I'd feel confident that there were no leaks, but at 99MB, I dunno. I have nearly all plugins disabled - the only ones currently running are Date & Time, Random Mix, Health and xPL.

Now, I'm running the 6.5beta, about a week old (haven't updated since it was declared unstable) and MySQL, so there may be something there that isn't in a typical 6.2.x SQLite installation. It's certainly a lot better than the 250MB seen before the 'reload main page' leak was fixed.