PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting started - AlienBBC

marcus
2005-11-15, 08:17
I'm planning on buying a Squeezebox but thought before I did I'd try to get everything setup and running using Slimserver and Softsqueeze. I'm particularly interested in the AlienBBC plugin and this is where I'm having problems.

Setup is as follows:

SlimServer Version: 6.2.0 - 4753 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Softsqueeze 2
AlienBBC 0.99

I followed the instructions at http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/installation.html for installation of the plugin.

Problem is I can't get sound from the BBC stream to Softsqueeze.
Using mplayer from the command line I do get sound for example from the following:

>mplayer rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio2/live/r2_dsat_g2.ra

I've looked at several similar problems and followed instructions but with no success - is anyone able to give any pointers?

TIA,

Marcus

danco
2005-11-15, 09:02
Installation can be tricky, and I'm a Mac user, so not familiar with Windows.

But you should follow the Testing procedure given in the installation instructions.The instructions only mention checking whether AlienBBC appears ok, but, assuming it does, you should try to play a stream from SoftSqueeze. You should then get information in the command window, and that will help in solving the problem. You may be able to see the issue yourself, or if you post the output to the forum someone may be able to see the answer.

marcus
2005-11-15, 09:23
Thanks for the reply Danco.

I started the server from the command line with the following command:

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" --d_plugin --d_source --d_remotestream

Next I opened up soft squeeze and navigated to AlienBBC the selected a stream. The output from the command prompt is attached (though its very long and I'm struggling to capture it all).

There are lots of lines with:

2005-11-15 16:07:41.5067 Pipeline doesn't have pending bytes - trying to get some from source

(Which may mean something to someone but certainly not me ;-)

Marcus

Neil Sleightholm
2005-11-15, 11:14
Do you have lame in the "server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread" folder? Depending on how you are trying to stream you may need it. We probably need the trace before this error to see what is happening.

Neil

marcus
2005-11-16, 01:39
Yes I have Lame in that directory. I've attached the log file from the servers web interface. (I had to put it in a zip file as its too large to upload in plain txt.

marcus
2005-11-16, 02:02
Thought I'd see if upgrading to 6.2.1 helped - it didn't :-(

marcus
2005-11-16, 10:29
I found that RTSP -> FLAC and RTSP -> MP3 were unchecked in file types. Corrected this and I'm up and running!

Neil Sleightholm
2005-11-16, 12:24
Glad to see another satisfied customer. I must admit to not knowing why RSTP -> WAV doesn't work, I'll do some testing.