PDA

View Full Version : Soon-to-be user, getting worried!

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-14, 18:33
A few months ago, I bought a DSM-320... big mistake! It just doesn't do lots of things that I really want, with lack of on-the-fly playlists and gaps between tracks being the main bugbears.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found out about Softsqueeze, and downloaded it (v. 2.01b11) and SlimServer 6.1.1. This seemed to do pretty much all that I wanted, bar a minor problem that some tracks were duplicated in the DB (which I managed to work around by editing some playlists and removing one that remained incomprehensibly stubborn). And *just* before I put an order in, the SB3 came out - phew! So now I have one on order (black wireless, from dabs.com, hopefully any day now, though it's always disturbing when a "1-2 days" lead time changes to "soon"...)

Yesterday, I upgraded SlimServer to 6.2.0, and SoftSqueeze to 2.2 ... only to find that SlimServer now dies at some point whilst scanning My Music, and never finds more than about 1/2 my collection. This also stops the server from starting automatically, though it starts OK manually - at least until the next rescan, when it will die, leaving SoftSqueeze to splutter out mid-song. (I don't use iTunes, btw, which seems to be implicated in most reports of scan crashes that I've found. I have a mix of 5600 mp3 and wma files, and m3u and wpl playlists.)
So I reverted to 6.1.1 - only to find now that SoftSqueeze 2.2 doesn't seem to work with it: the console lists an error beginning:

10 [SlimTCP-1] ERROR slimproto - Exception processing frame
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Requested value 75.76903 exceeds allowable maximum value 6.0206.
at javax.sound.sampled.FloatControl.setValue(Unknown Source)

(Um, that's quite an overflow!)
This happens for several different tracks / playlists at least, so it's not just one dodgy file. It's possible this has nothing to do with SlimServer, but it's a suspicious coincidence.

Now I'm worried that when the SB3 arrives I'll have to use a version of SlimServer that definitely doesn't work for me! (And believe me, after all the "fun" I've had with the DSM-320, I'm really not in the mood for more faffing around!)

So: is this scan failure in 6.2.0 a known problem, and if so is there a later version of SlimServer in which it's fixed? If not, can the SB3 be served from 6.1.1?

tass
2005-11-14, 18:58
You can try the newest 6.2.1 (which hasn't had an official release yet).
This is at http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

I believe the official 6.2.1 is coming soon, although the current dev release already has many bug fixes that may sort out your problems.

AndyWright
2005-11-14, 19:10
I just recieved a couple of SB3s from Dabs (in white - couldn't wait for the black ones! Once they're in place you can't really see the white/black cover anyway....)

I had been playing with the beta 6.5s for a while with SoftSqueeze to get the hang of it all. For the 'live' installation I uninstalled that and used the latest build of 6.2.1 (I'm on Linux). You can uninstall SoftSqueeze through add/remove programs in Windows control panel by the way.

All I can say is.... you'll love it !

Andy.

jth
2005-11-14, 19:19
I'm pretty sure I read on the forum that 6.1.1 does support the
SB3. You might want to check the official pinned SB3 release
topic.

radish
2005-11-14, 20:14
I'm pretty sure I read on the forum that 6.1.1 does support the
SB3. You might want to check the official pinned SB3 release
topic.

Indeed it does, you can run SB3 with 6.1.1.

shifty1725
2005-11-15, 03:24
Brian,

My SB3 arrived yesterday and I have to admit that setting it up was a real pain, but now it's working, I have to say that it is a fantastic piece of equipment and worth the effort it took to set it up.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the SB3 once it's set up and streaming for you.

Colin

P.S. I got the SB3 to start to work on the slimserver 6.1.1, but upgraded to 6.2.0 shortly after, so it's a pretty flexible piece of equipment.

Jim
2005-11-15, 03:30
I just hope you remember to come back and tell us what a trouble free, easy installation you had.

Posting about issues before they happen is a first for me.... Still, it will make it even sweeter when it just works.. (he says with his fingers crossed).

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-15, 06:31
I just hope you remember to come back and tell us what a trouble free, easy installation you had.

Posting about issues before they happen is a first for me.... Still, it will make it even sweeter when it just works.. (he says with his fingers crossed).
My view is that there's definitely an issue "already happening" with SlimServer. I'm expecting the SB3 to work OK; but since the server's not working properly, will there be anything worthwhile for it to talk to? If SlimDevices promote SoftSqueeze as a try-before-you-buy approach, then it seems reasonable to worry about the "real thing" if I can't get the latest SoftSqueeze to work in combination with a working SlimServer.

I'd made my decision to purchase the SB3 based on my first installation of SoftSqueeze and SlimServer, and am concerned that the newest (official) release of SlimServer doesn't work for me, and that the latest 'squeeze didn't seem to want to talk to the earlier (working) server. If I hadn't already ordered an SB3, this would have put me off, at least until I was convinced that there was a newer version of SlimServer that would work. (Remember, I've been burned by problems with the DSM-320, including some on the (twonky) server side.) On the other hand, I'm not so worried to make me cancel my order!

Hearing that SB3 and SS 6.1.1 should work is encouraging, but I'd hope to be able to use something newer than 6.1.1 sometime soon.

I'm using SoftSqueeze on a laptop, SlimServer on a desktop, over our wireless network, and have no problems on that score. (Well, except that the 'squeeze config uses the IP address of the server, and (since our network uses dynamic assignment) that sometimes changes... maybe I need (Home) Network Admin 101?)

The peskiest bit of setup is probably going to be feeding the WEP key to the SB3, but it's inevitable, and I'm used to doing that now!

I will certainly report back on my experiences, even if they're positive :-)

oreillymj
2005-11-15, 09:11
Brian,

you mention that you reverted Slimserver to 6.1.1 but you are still using a version of Softsqueeze2.2 which is tailored specifically to 6.2

That makes me think that you did not do a full uninstall of 6.2 before putting 6.1.1 back in place. Am I correct?

You now have a mess ;-)

I would recommend doing a full uninstall of 6.1.1 through control panel. Stop the slimserver service & close down the Slimtray app. Then go to c:\program files and delete the Slimserver directory if it's still there. You will have lost your Db & settings, but your system will be clean.

Now install 6.2.1.

If you are still having problems doing a scan of your music library, you can enable various debugging options to see where the scan is failing. That would be the next step.

greedy_grendel
2005-11-15, 14:32
I'm using SoftSqueeze on a laptop, SlimServer on a desktop, over our wireless network, and have no problems on that score. (Well, except that the 'squeeze config uses the IP address of the server, and (since our network uses dynamic assignment) that sometimes changes... maybe I need (Home) Network Admin 101?)

You can workaround this by assigning a "name" to the server under Win XP Control Panel->System->Computer Name Tab->Change Button. Call it something like "Server".

Using this example, in the Softsqueeze config input on the basic tab "server:9000" (minus quotes).

Many routers also allow the assignment of static IP addresses to LAN clients, essentially defeating DHCP for the specified client's mac address. Static IP can also be done by manually editing the TCP/IP settings of the relevant client's network card, but would probably be a bit more in depth for someone not familiar with how to do it.

Cheers,
-m

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-15, 18:09
Brian,

you mention that you reverted Slimserver to 6.1.1 but you are still using a version of Softsqueeze2.2 which is tailored specifically to 6.2

That makes me think that you did not do a full uninstall of 6.2 before putting 6.1.1 back in place. Am I correct?

Nope, I uninstalled 6.2.0 before reinstalling 6.1.1. Well, to be honest, I didn't take the extra step of wiping the SlimServer folder; but it had nothing in it after I ran the uninstall for 6.1.1 just now. I'll look again when/if I go back to 6.1.1 yet again...

As I said, I'm running SoftSqueeze on a separate machine. (That SoftSqueeze 2.2 is "tailored to" 6.2 is what made me concerned that maybe I'd be forced to use 6.2 with the SB3; which seems like a reasonable concern given my experience so far.)

Now install 6.2.1.

If you are still having problems doing a scan of your music library, you can enable various debugging options to see where the scan is failing. That would be the next step.

Well, I was pretty pleased to see that 6.2.1 is now officially released; and even more pleased to see several scan-related bugfixes listed in the changelog. So I was really looking forward to being able to post a positive result here. Alas...

I've uninstalled 6.1.1; I didn't wipe the SlimServer folder, since though it had a subfolder, there were no files. Installed 6.2.1... and it crashed during the scan. I was able to restart the server, but the file counts etc. are considerably less than they should be. I've not yet managed to find any of the missing files; at least some of those that were (consistently) missing before are now showing up.

And this is where I start to get just a bit peeved. I'm not buying an SB3 so that I can have many hours of fun debugging the server (I've had enough of that already with the DSM-320); I just want to be able to listen to my music!

Nonetheless, I've tried turning on the "d_scan" debugging setting in the server controls (the only one of the zillions that looks potentially relevant); but it wasn't much use, since not surprisingly it can't be followed once the server dies! (I've not been able to find it after the crash.)

However, the XP event log reports errors that suggest that something odd is happening in the DB:

Can't update www.blah.com: DBD::SQLite::st execute failed: column url is not unique(1) at dbdimp.c line 401 at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/ContextualFetch.pm line 51, <GEN38> line 19.
at /PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1869.

Sigh. Let me guess: www.blah.com (name munged to protect the guilty :-)) is setting the "WM/URL" tag in WMA files to their homepage, but SlimServer's schema assumes that it's a unique URI for each track. Not sure though: at least some files with this tag/value combination are browsable in SlimServer. A quick skim of DBIStore.pm suggests that the unique key for a track is built in part from the "contributor"; so if the WM/URL tag is used for this, and if two or more files *only* have this tag, then we might be in trouble... Not that I'm convinced I have any such files...

(Argh! I said I didn't want to start debugging... !)

-- Brian

oreillymj
2005-11-16, 11:45
Brian,

After re-reading your mail, I realised your were running Softsqueeze on a seperate box to Slimserver.

I'm not sure that Softsqueeze is savvy enough to realise that it should downgrade, but when you went back from 6.2.x to 6.1, you should have re-installed Softqueeze from the URL in the WebUI. The link would have put the Softsqueeze 2b11 version on the laptop.

As for the scanning issue, I'm afraid I don't use WMA files at all and I'm not sure of any tools to dump out the embedded tags except for the library in WMP.

You can enable logging and re-direct the output to a log file by shutting down the slimserver service and running it manually from a dos prompt with a command line switch like this.

"c:\program files\slimserver\slim.exe" --logfile "c:\program files\slimserver\log.txt"

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-logfile

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-16, 19:01
[...]

As for the scanning issue, I'm afraid I don't use WMA files at all and I'm not sure of any tools to dump out the embedded tags except for the library in WMP.

Yes, I'm finding WMA tags quite a pain! Something, somewhere keeps adding all sorts of tags (such as WM/URL) without my explicit consent, and they're a real pain. But WMA is better than MP3 on my Zen, and the rest is a long story...

You can enable logging and re-direct the output to a log file by shutting down the slimserver service and running it manually from a dos prompt with a command line switch like this.

"c:\program files\slimserver\slim.exe" --logfile "c:\program files\slimserver\log.txt"

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-logfile

Thanks, I've been trying this out. So far I've found two WMA files that cause "column url is not unique" crashes. Odd thing is, one of them is in the middle of an album, and I can't see any reason why it's causing problems but not its siblings. (They have pretty similar tag settings, except for the titles.) But when I move that track out of my music folder, SS gets past the album, and gets up to the second dodgy file.

Aha! I think it's related to playlists: if I go back to that first album, and put another track from it into the playlist where the first dodgy track turned up, then SS crashes when it reaches it. Yet this seems to be happening before it's scanned the album folder itself... ?

Hmm, this really isn't good. I'd happily discard the WM/URL tag that *might* be the cause of all this; but I don't have anything that will let me do this.

MrC
2005-11-16, 19:24
... I'm not sure of any tools to dump out the embedded tags except for the library in WMP.

I just happened to notice the other day when trying the J River Media Center that it will show a tracks WMA tags in its File Type Info window. Here's an example:

Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
Format: 160 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR
Protected: No
Seekable: Yes
Trusted: No

WMA Tag dump:
Signature_Name:
Title: You Gotta Pay the Band
Author: Abbey Lincoln
WM/Lyrics:
WM/MediaPrimaryClassID: {D1607DBC-E323-4BE2-86A1-48A42A28441E}
WMFSDKVersion: 10.00.00.3802
WMFSDKNeeded: 0.0.0.0000
WM/Year: 1991
WM/UniqueFileIdentifier: AMGa_id=R 104647;AMGp_id=P 50151;AMGt_id=T 946532
WM/Composer: Abbey Lincoln
WM/Publisher: Polygram
WM/Genre: Big Band/Vocalists
WM/AlbumTitle: You Gotta Pay the Band
WM/AlbumArtist: Abbey Lincoln
WM/Provider: AMG
WM/ProviderRating: 7
Duration: 2908930000
Bitrate: 160639
Seekable: Yes
Stridable: No
Broadcast: No
Is_Protected: No
Is_Trusted: No
HasAudio: Yes
HasImage: No
HasScript: No
HasVideo: No
CurrentBitrate: 160016
OptimalBitrate: 160016
HasAttachedImages: No
Can_Skip_Backward: No
Can_Skip_Forward: No
FileSize: 5856023
HasArbitraryDataStream: No
HasFileTransferStream: No
WM/ContainerFormat: 1
WM/Track: 2
IsVBR: No
WM/TrackNumber: 3
WM/EncodingTime: 127655033500000000
WM/MCDI: <unknown data>

oreillymj
2005-11-17, 04:19
Brian,

Can you show us the piece of the log file where the crash occurs.
I don't see URI as an item in the list of WMA tags MrC posted.

Also if you go into the library in Media player and right-click in the header column area, you'll get a list of available columns to add. I didn't see anything resembling a URL/URI there either.

I'm wondering if the URI database field holds the path to the WMA track in file://<some drive>/<some dir>/sometrack.wma format.

This should be unique as you can't have 2 files with the same name. So the type of error you are seeing would then only occur if you have shortcuts or some other funky stuff in your music dirs.

I'd suggest renaming the file causing he error and see what happens. But post part of the log anyway.

dwc
2005-11-17, 10:09
As stated above, the last thread I read with a similar issue was resolved when the user removed shortcuts inside his folder system that was sending the search process into a loop.

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-17, 17:43
Brian,

Can you show us the piece of the log file where the crash occurs.
I don't see URI as an item in the list of WMA tags MrC posted.
Sure: here are the last few lines from one run. (I had the files, scan and sql debugs set.)

2005-11-17 01:35:17.1597 Got /C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music from file url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1599 extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\My Documents\My Music from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1608 Got /C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma from file url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1615 extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\My Documents\My Music\Kaiser Chiefs\Employment (2005)\10 - Time Honoured Tradition.wma from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1633 Got /C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma from file url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1637 extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\My Documents\My Music\Kaiser Chiefs\Employment (2005)\10 - Time Honoured Tradition.wma from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1835 DBD::SQLite::st execute failed: column url is not unique(1) at dbdimp.c line 401 at C:\program files\slimserver\server\CPAN/DBIx/ContextualFetch.pm line 51, <GEN39> line 19.
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1881 Can't update www.allofmp3.com: DBD::SQLite::st execute failed: column url is not unique(1) at dbdimp.c line 401 at C:\program files\slimserver\server\CPAN/DBIx/ContextualFetch.pm line 51, <GEN39> line 19.
at /PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1869
2005-11-17 01:35:17.1899 Slim::DataStores::DBI::Track Slim::DataStores::DBI::Track=HASH(0x3e70744) destroyed without saving changes to bitrate, multialbumsortkey, age, remote, ct, size, audio, rate, titlesort, url, lossless, tag, fs, channels, secs, album, tracknum, titlesearch, title, year at /PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1006

Preceding trace lines suggest that a particular m3u list is being processed at the time, and the file in question doesn't appear earlier in the trace, so I believe that its directory hasn't yet been scanned (nor any other playlists in which it appears).

Also if you go into the library in Media player and right-click in the header column area, you'll get a list of available columns to add. I didn't see anything resembling a URL/URI there either.
Nope, nor can I, not even in the "Advanced Tag Editor"; but "WM/URL" is definitely listed for some tracks, including the above (with value www.allofmp3.com), in the dBPowerAmp extension (which adds its own tab to Properties in explorer), and it's certainly implicated in the trace above. (See "Can't update www.allofmp3.com" etc.)

(I'm only using the trial version of dBPowerAmp, and the ability to modify tags with it has expired.)

I'm wondering if the URI database field holds the path to the WMA track in file://<some drive>/<some dir>/sometrack.wma format.

This should be unique as you can't have 2 files with the same name. So the type of error you are seeing would then only occur if you have shortcuts or some other funky stuff in your music dirs.

I'd suggest renaming the file causing he error and see what happens. But post part of the log anyway.
I doubt that renaming would make a difference. The file above got through OK in a directory scan; it was only when I added it to a playlist that this happened. I suspect that renaming the file, and it's reference in the playlist, will just end up the same.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any shortcuts around. I had a playlist-related problem with 6.1.1, but there slightly different path names to the same file in some playlists (\\turtle\... vs. C:\Documents and Settings\...) led to the track being duplicated.
In the case above, the playlist is in "My Music", and paths in there are relative. I guess I could try changing it to an absolute path, to see what happens...

Thanks for the suggestions.

kdf
2005-11-17, 17:50
coul you file the previous log with a bug report, and attach the song
mentioned
in it. Please also describe a bit about your libary folder structure,
locations
of playlists vs music files etc.

If you have playlists that include this file, try removing them from
the library
and playlist folder and see if that helps. If it changes things,
please attach
the playlist

-kdf

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-18, 16:30
coul you file the previous log with a bug report, and attach the song
mentioned
in it. Please also describe a bit about your libary folder structure,
locations
of playlists vs music files etc.

OK, will try to, once I've registered with Bugzilla. (Do you really mean I should attach the WMA file to the bug report?)

If you have playlists that include this file, try removing them from
the library
and playlist folder and see if that helps. If it changes things,
please attach
the playlist

-kdf

I tried this already with the first file that caused the problem. Removing it from the library worked, in the sense that SS no longer complained or crashed on that file; but then it only got as far as the next problematic file. I don't fancy iterating on this until they're all gone! Removing the playlist entry also works, though I'm guessing I'd have to remove such files from all my playlists. From the traces I've run, I'm pretty sure that SS hasn't yet processed the folder containing the file, so I don't think SS has already added the song to the DB at this point.
(Hmm: it might have added it to the DB in a previous scan; but then this crash also happened the first time SS started after a clean install, so I suspect that's not the case.)

(Ah! I've just spotted something else curious about the album; one of the tracks is duplicated - and I think it's the first one I had problems with. Odd! Also, though the "current" dodgy track is listed, when I click on it for more info, it looks like SS crashes. I'll have to look into this... but later...)

kdf
2005-11-18, 16:36
Quoting Brian Ritchie <Brian.Ritchie.1ypubz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> coul you file the previous log with a bug report, and attach the song
>> mentioned
>> in it. Please also describe a bit about your libary folder structure,
>> locations
>> of playlists vs music files etc.
>
> OK, will try to, once I've registered with Bugzilla. (Do you really
> mean I should attach the WMA file to the bug report?)

yes please. If the problem is in the tags, a copy will be needed in order to
replicate effectively. If you know of a way to strip out the audio and just
leave the tags intact, that's ok too. If you really don't want to stick it in
a bug report, Dan has an ftp site he opens up when he takes a look at the bug.

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> If you have playlists that include this file, try removing them from
>> the library
>> and playlist folder and see if that helps. If it changes things,
>> please attach
>> the playlist
>>
>> -kdf
>
> I tried this already with the first file that caused the problem.
> Removing it from the library worked, in the sense that SS no longer
> complained or crashed on that file; but then it only got as far as the
> next problematic file. I don't fancy iterating on this until they're
> all gone! Removing the playlist entry also works, though I'm guessing
> I'd have to remove such files from all my playlists. From the traces
> I've run, I'm pretty sure that SS hasn't yet processed the folder
> containing the file, so I don't think SS has already added the song to
> the DB at this point.

I am not suggesting iteration of any kind, nor am I asking you to alter your
playlists. Simply move your playlists en masse to somewhere else and run a
scan. Taking them out of the equation means we can eliminate the actual audio
files as a cause.

>
> (Ah! I've just spotted something else curious about the album; one of
> the tracks is duplicated - and I think it's the first one I had
> problems with. Odd! Also, though the "current" dodgy track is listed,
> when I click on it for more info, it looks like SS crashes. I'll have
> to look into this... but later...)

More details the better :)

-kdf

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-18, 19:30
Quoting Brian Ritchie <Brian.Ritchie.1ypubz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

I am not suggesting iteration of any kind, nor am I asking you to alter your
playlists. Simply move your playlists en masse to somewhere else and run a
scan. Taking them out of the equation means we can eliminate the actual audio
files as a cause.

>
> (Ah! I've just spotted something else curious about the album; one of
> the tracks is duplicated - and I think it's the first one I had
> problems with. Odd! Also, though the "current" dodgy track is listed,
> when I click on it for more info, it looks like SS crashes. I'll have
> to look into this... but later...)

More details the better :)

-kdf

Ah yes. I moved all my playlists (m3u and wpl) out, and did a rescan. All was OK! The album in question now looked as expected when browsed "all the way down". The total number of tracks - 5402 - sounds about right too.

So next I put one playlist (with one suspect track in the middle) back in, and scanned again. No crash this time either!
BUT then the suspect track was listed twice under the album. One instance looks fine when I click on it, but the other has no associated details (not even a title). And I now had 5403 tracks.
When I looked at the logs from processing the playlist, I found this curious section:

2005-11-19 01:35:27.4075 Got /C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u from file url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4078 extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\My Documents\My Music\Euphoria.m3u from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4091 itempath: www.allofmp3.com and file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u made file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4102 Got /C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com from file url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4105 extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\My Documents\My Music\Euphoria.m3u\www.allofmp3.com from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4110 isList(file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com) == 0
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4112 not a list: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4113 Skipping unknown type: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u/www.allofmp3.com
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4115 numitems: 1704
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4116 index: 15
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4122 itempath: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma and file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Euphoria.m3u made file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4124 isList(file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma) == 0
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4125 not a list: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma
2005-11-19 01:35:27.4127 adding single item: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/My%20Music/Kaiser%20Chiefs/Employment%20(2005)/10%20-%20Time%20Honoured%20Tradition.wma, type wma

So for some reason, the scan tried to add a file "Euphoria.m3u/allofmp3.com" (and skipped it since it doesn't exist); but then went on to add the correct track anyway.

When I clicked on the second of the duplicates in the album view, it looks like I got the following trace:

2005-11-19 02:03:27.8276 pathFromFileURL: www.allofmp3.com isn't a file URL...
2005-11-19 02:03:27.8281 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Misc::pathFromFileURL (/PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1376)
frame 1: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::_hasChanged (/PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1345)
frame 2: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::_checkValidity (/PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 246)
frame 3: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::objectForId (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Pages.pm line 972)
frame 4: Slim::Web::Pages::_addSongInfo (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Pages.pm line 1023)
frame 5: Slim::Web::Pages::songInfo (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 769)
frame 6: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 678)
frame 7: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 539)
frame 8: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 111)
frame 9: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 634)
frame 10: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 570)
frame 11: main::main (slimserver.pl line 59)
frame 12: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1485)
frame 13: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 14: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2005-11-19 02:03:27.8282 extracted: from www.allofmp3.com

Maybe it's time to submit that bug report!

...well, except that I couldn't replicate the above trace by going back to the album view and clicking on the dodgy track again (cached results perhaps). So I moved away to a different album, and then back - and now the track listing is correct! And we're back to 5402 songs. I've no idea why the "ghost" copy has now disappeared. (I'm reminded of the tabloid story "WW2 bomber found on moon vanishes!" :-))

Maybe the trouble appears when a track with WM/URL "wrongly" set is encountered in a playlist before its folder has been scanned?

I wonder what will happen if I restore all my playlists now?

I should add that all these scans have been "search for new". I probably need to try a complete rescan too; some of the above hints at "old memory" problems. Though I might want to move my playlists out first...

kdf
2005-11-18, 21:17
On 18-Nov-05, at 6:30 PM, Brian Ritchie wrote:
>
> Ah yes. I moved all my playlists (m3u and wpl) out, and did a rescan.
> All was OK! The album in question now looked as expected when browsed
> "all the way down". The total number of tracks - 5402 - sounds about
> right too.
>
> So next I put one playlist (with one suspect track in the middle) back
> in, and scanned again. No crash this time either!
> BUT then the suspect track was listed twice under the album. One
> instance looks fine when I click on it, but the other has no associated
> details (not even a title). And I now had 5403 tracks.
> When I looked at the logs from processing the playlist, I found this
> curious section:
>
well, at least you know you can enjoy your music again. When you file
a bug, please include one of these playlists
and we'll go from there.

-kdf

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-19, 18:46
well, at least you know you can enjoy your music again. When you file
a bug, please include one of these playlists
and we'll go from there.

-kdf

Alas, when I put all my playlists back, SS crashed on the next rescan again!

I made a one-track, one-playlist folder, using a "known offender", and let SS loose on that. It didn't crash, but the log still shows a strange obsession with allofmp3.com, and the first time I browsed the album, there were two copies of the track, the second of which contained no details (when I drilled down) and generated more complaints about allofmp3.com in the log. Yet when I went back up and drilled down again, the "ghost" copy of the track disappeared!

I've added this bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2605, complete with my "favourite" offending WMA file, and a log file that's even bigger!

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-22, 16:00
... at least, not about this:

I've added this bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2605, complete with my "favourite" offending WMA file, and a log file that's even bigger!

Looks like Dan's fixed this in the 6.2.2 nightly of 2005-11-22; that was impressively fast!

Hopefully I'm well on the way to becoming another happy user. Now I just need www.dabs.com to hurry up and send me my SB3!

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2005-11-25, 18:17

Well, my SB3 finally arrived today, and what a trouble-free, easy installation I had!

... Actually, there was one minor foible during setup. We don't broadcast our SSID, but when I reached the "Enter SSID" part of the setup, I couldn't work out how to; RIGHT didn't seem to work, and nothing happened when I tried pressing number keys. But no problem really: I just re-enabled SSID broadcast long enough for the SB3 to pick it up. I hope that now it's got it, it won't need it to be broadcast in future.

We also use WEP and have MAC filtering, so first I had to add the SB3's MAC address to the Allowed list; and had to use the remote to enter the WEP key; but I knew I'd have to do this anyway, and it was hardly difficult.

We've had a few tiny funnies, but none are worrying. We had one unexplained mid-track skip (to the next in the playlist); when we went back, the track played through OK. I couldn't get any of the "ambient sounds" in SqueezeNetwork to work; but I see others have found them offline lately too, and much as, on this cold night, I'd love the roar and crackle of a real fire but without the attendant fire hazard, I can manage without it. Most annoying thing was when I changed an option on the server (to treat multi-disc albums as one album) which (as I knew) caused the server to do a rescan - but it also seemed to lose the current playlist in the player, which I wasn't expecting.

My heart sank when I found an album with duplicate tracks; a recurrence of a problem I'd had with 6.1.1, I thought - until I realised that actually I do have two copies of that album!

We don't leave our server, nor our WiFi router, on 24/7, and I've yet to see how the SB3 copes with their disappearance. (Sure, I expect it to stop playing, but how sensitive will it be to the order things are turned on again?) Not too worried about this, really.

The output levels are a bit quieter than the DSM-320s, or indeed most other inputs; so I have the amp volume set way up to give a reasonable range with the SB3's own volume control. I've yet to do any real comparisons, but it sounds pretty good. Only problem is that quite a few of my tracks were ripped as 96K wma files for my Zen, and for some of them at least, this is clearly not good enough. Well, that's what the Zapped list is for, I guess... !

I don't think I'll be going out much this weekend... :-)

-- Brian