PDA

View Full Version : New Slimserver Features?

gdg
2005-11-12, 15:28
I've been anxiously hoping and waiting for some type of song "flag" feature which will allow me mark tracks of interest. Such a feature would make it so much easier to put custom playlists together. Does anyone know if the new Slimserver can do this?

m1abrams
2005-11-12, 19:07
I've been anxiously hoping and waiting for some type of song "flag" feature which will allow me mark tracks of interest. Such a feature would make it so much easier to put custom playlists together. Does anyone know if the new Slimserver can do this?
Actually this feature has been in Slim for a long time. You can ZAP a song, however for the life of me I can not remember the exact button you need to press on the slim remote to "zap" a song. But this should do exactly what you want. I obviously dont use it much, but checked it out in my early slim days.

Check the manual for how to.

gdg
2005-11-13, 00:58
I looked into this when I first bought my Squeezebox 2 in the summer. The word I got was that there was no way to tag songs with the remote (or any other way for that matter). Can anyone elaborate on Zapping?

m1abrams
2005-11-13, 06:25
I think you just press the "+" button while the song you want added is in the Now Playing Playlist. Do not press and hold, just tap.

max.spicer
2005-11-13, 08:05
Zapping a song also removes it from the current playlist. This probably isn't what you want. I've never seen the point of zapping. Can anyone explain the rationale behind it?

To zap a song, press and hold add on an item that is already in your current playlist.

Max

Actually this feature has been in Slim for a long time. You can ZAP a song, however for the life of me I can not remember the exact button you need to press on the slim remote to "zap" a song. But this should do exactly what you want. I obviously dont use it much, but checked it out in my early slim days.

Check the manual for how to.

stinkingpig
2005-11-13, 08:15
max.spicer wrote:

>Zapping a song also removes it from the current playlist. This probably
>isn't what you want. I've never seen the point of zapping. Can anyone
>explain the rationale behind it?
>
>

Zapping is for when you select by Artist > Paul Simon, and after it
plays his first two solo albums and the Graduate soundtrack, it tosses
in some horrible bit of dreck from your wife's radio station compilation
CD. Hypothetically speaking of course :)

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin
so across the Western ocean I must wander" -- trad.

Pale Blue Ego
2005-11-13, 08:25
Pressing and holding the + button removes the current song from the playlist and adds it to a special playlist called "Zapped Songs". I usually use it to flag tracks with quality problems (I have a lot of concert recordings and some have dropouts or mic problems).

But you could also use the "Zapped Songs" playlist to designate favorites.

dean
2005-11-13, 09:30
Tapping just removes it from the playlist.

Press-and-hold ADD removes it from the playlist and moves it to the
Zapped playlist.

On Nov 13, 2005, at 5:25 AM, m1abrams wrote:

>
> I think you just press the "+" button while the song you want added is
> in the Now Playing Playlist. Do not press and hold, just tap.
>
>
> --
> m1abrams
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> m1abrams's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=850
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18134
>
>

andreas
2005-11-13, 11:14
max.spicer wrote:
> Zapping a song also removes it from the current playlist. This probably
> isn't what you want. I've never seen the point of zapping. Can anyone
> explain the rationale behind it?

afaik it was originally added as a feature to easily "tag" a song
if you while listening found it bad/broken/corrupt or similiar...

rgds
/andreas

m1abrams
2005-11-13, 12:21
Tapping just removes it from the playlist.

Press-and-hold ADD removes it from the playlist and moves it to the
Zapped playlist.

On Nov 13, 2005, at 5:25 AM, m1abrams wrote:

>
> I think you just press the "+" button while the song you want added is
> in the Now Playing Playlist. Do not press and hold, just tap.
>
>
> --
> m1abrams
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> m1abrams's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=850
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18134
>
>

Oops had it backgrounds, i told you i was not sure ;)

Philip Meyer
2005-11-14, 02:46
>
I use Zap when I stumble across a song that doesn't play correctly - eg. if a song skips due to a bad rip from a CD, or if the tags aren't correct. As I mainly listen to music using the SB from the bedroom at night, by the time I get up in the morning, I've forgotten what music I was going to sort out!

I could never decide if I liked the functionality that it removes the track from the music library. Sometimes I wanted to use it to remind me to look into something, but the track would still play okay, and thus I wouldn't want to zap it until it had finished playing.

How about the following, as an enhancement request, to enhance the functionality of the add button, so it's not just for zapping songs.

Press-and-hold add button on a track selected in the now playing list. SB then asks what you want to do - top line of the display would read "Add to...", the second line would allow you to select a destination. The default destination would be "Zapped tracks" which would work as per current functionality. Other options could include other configurable markers, such as "Bad Tags", "Bad music", which would be implemented as playlists like the Zapped music playlist. In fact, it could also be used to add the track to an existing playlist or a new Playlist.

Phil

dfk
2005-11-14, 11:04
>
I use Zap when I stumble across a song that doesn't play correctly - eg. if a song skips due to a bad rip from a CD, or if the tags aren't correct. As I mainly listen to music using the SB from the bedroom at night, by the time I get up in the morning, I've forgotten what music I was going to sort out!

I could never decide if I liked the functionality that it removes the track from the music library. Sometimes I wanted to use it to remind me to look into something, but the track would still play okay, and thus I wouldn't want to zap it until it had finished playing.

How about the following, as an enhancement request, to enhance the functionality of the add button, so it's not just for zapping songs.

Press-and-hold add button on a track selected in the now playing list. SB then asks what you want to do - top line of the display would read "Add to...", the second line would allow you to select a destination. The default destination would be "Zapped tracks" which would work as per current functionality. Other options could include other configurable markers, such as "Bad Tags", "Bad music", which would be implemented as playlists like the Zapped music playlist. In fact, it could also be used to add the track to an existing playlist or a new Playlist.

Phil

Phil

That is a great idea. You need to add it as an enhancement request. Go here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=SlimServer

and change the severity flag to 'enhancement'

dfk

gdg
2005-11-14, 18:31
When you Zapp is the song removed from your main library and then moved to the Zapped playlist? If so, that's not what I'm after. I want to be able to "flag" a song so that I can later use it to build, or add to, a playlist. That could mean someting as simple as a "check mark" beside the title in my library or an actual duplicate stored somewhere where I can manipulate it later. I definitely don't want it removed from the CD in my library where it origonally came from.
Gerry

ceejay
2005-11-15, 00:47
>

Phil

Sounds like a great idea for a plugin to me. Anyone fancy having a go at it?

I'm confused about the statement that "zap" removes the song from the library, though. I tried it a moment ago and what seemed to happen was that the song currently playing was removed from the current playlist and added to the "zapped songs" playlist, which seems ok to me (not as rich as the functionality described above, but ok). But still there in the library - if I play that album again, I get all of it. This is also consistent with the wiki documentation - "If you press and hold the ADD button, the displayed song will be removed from the playlist and added to a special Saved Playlist called "Zapped Songs" for you to review later."

In this case the "zap" function is nearly what you want - the only snag being that it stops the track playing, which may not be what you want. If you were confident with your timing you could wait until the end of the track before zapping it!!

Ceejay

kdf
2005-11-15, 01:13
On 14-Nov-05, at 11:47 PM, ceejay wrote:

>>
>
> Sounds like a great idea for a plugin to me. Anyone fancy having a go
> at it?
>
The zap function was initially a plugin (not for very long tho) as was
the press-and-hold to save playlist.

> I'm confused about the statement that "zap" removes the song from the
> library, though. I tried it a moment ago and what seemed to happen was
> that the song currently playing was removed from the current playlist

that is correct. it is moved from current playlist to "zapped.m3u".
It is still in the library and the file is untouched.
the playlist can be browsed at a later time and used for anything you
wish.

Philip Meyer
2005-11-15, 02:32
>> I'm confused about the statement that "zap" removes the song from the
>> library, though. I tried it a moment ago and what seemed to happen was
>> that the song currently playing was removed from the current playlist
>
>that is correct. it is moved from current playlist to "zapped.m3u".
>It is still in the library and the file is untouched.
>the playlist can be browsed at a later time and used for anything you
>wish.
>
If I play a saved playlist and then zap a track, it adds it to the zapped.m3u, and removes the track from the currently playlist and the song is not displayed in the saved playlist any more either. The track is still visible in the music library though.

I didn't notice the inconsistency before - I assumed as the track is removed from the original playlist, it would also have gone from the music library.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-11-15, 02:37
>Sounds like a great idea for a plugin to me. Anyone fancy having a go
>at it?

Actually, I've been thinking about having a go as this does sound fairly trivial, but I've no experience of writing a plugin, and limited experience of perl, so it might take some time!

I raised an enhancement request yesterday, and it's been assigned to 6.5 - does this mean slimdevices staff have already agreed to implement it as core functionality, or should I still think about starting the plugin development?

Phil

kdf
2005-11-15, 03:24
Philip Meyer wrote:
>> Sounds like a great idea for a plugin to me. Anyone fancy having a go
>> at it?
>>
>
> Actually, I've been thinking about having a go as this does sound fairly trivial, but I've no experience of writing a plugin, and limited experience of perl, so it might take some time!
>
> I raised an enhancement request yesterday, and it's been assigned to 6.5 - does this mean slimdevices staff have already agreed to implement it as core functionality, or should I still think about starting the plugin development?
>
absolutely. targets are not fixed in stone. many bug/rfe's that
involve architecture are being marked for 6.5, meaning anything from
"must look into who this could work" to "just about there already so
lets flag this to check before release". Either way, a plugin would be
most welcome. Any plugin can be merged into core code later, or simply
included with the distro after the kinks get worked out.

-k

kdf
2005-11-15, 03:33
Philip Meyer wrote:
>> Sounds like a great idea for a plugin to me. Anyone fancy having a go
>> at it?
>>
>
> Actually, I've been thinking about having a go as this does sound fairly trivial, but I've no experience of writing a plugin, and limited experience of perl, so it might take some time!
>
> I raised an enhancement request yesterday, and it's been assigned to 6.5 - does this mean slimdevices staff have already agreed to implement it as core functionality, or should I still think about starting the plugin development?
>

yes, please do. The plugin can always be merged in later or included
with the standard distro when you have it working. Targets are never
fixed in stone, so it simply means that the current plan is to give it a
look as part of the 6.5 process and may not end up with any committment
to implement it if other things get in the way. Having a plugin
available is a much more concrete solution.

-kdf