PDA

View Full Version : Creating sortable artist/album/genre spreadsheet from id tags

tikiking
2005-11-12, 14:59
Hi all,

This may be a little off topic for this forum, but I'm looking for some sort of software solution to creating a spreadsheet of my entire music collection with fields taken from the id tags on the files themselves.

Specifically I have somewhere around 1,200 albums, of which about 95% are in FLAC format, and the remainders in MP3. I'd like to be able to keep and update a list of my collection that could be sorted by date, title, artist, and genre, but I obviously don't want to hand enter all of that when the files themselves have the information already embedded.

I've worked a fair amount with Excel, and have barely touched MS Access. Is this a good way to go (and if so how), or is there a better way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

pfarrell
2005-11-12, 15:08
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 13:59 -0800, tikiking wrote:
> This may be a little off topic for this forum, but I'm looking for some
> sort of software solution to creating a spreadsheet of my entire music
> collection with fields taken from the id tags on the files themselves.

Which version of the slimserver are you using? the 6.* versions
have a database that you can query and generate nearly anything.
The slimserver scan process has read all the tags already.

the sqlitebrowser will let you try things.

> Access. Is this a good way to go (and if so how), or is there a better
> way?

the 'list' command of my slimserver utility would do that, and I wrote
it exactly for that. The last set of jar files got trashed a while ago,
probably when I moved my server or ISP a couple of folks have
asked me to rebuild it, so I will, RSN.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

MrC
2005-11-12, 15:13
There are a number of pretty nice programs that will scan your music files and do a lot more than just let you export. If all you want to do is export to an excel spreadsheet, you can use any scanning utility that does CSV text exports.

If you are looking at a solution that provides much more functionality than that, are were thinking you needed to build it using excel, access, etc., there are outstanding tools available. The import into their own database, and present an excellent GUI for doing all sorts of things such as sorting, filtering, creating web pages, export to HTML, XML, Excel, etc.

Try MusicLabel, Helium Music Manager, MP3 Collector, and even OrangeCD to start out.

Other's can probably chime in with many more suggestions.

808state
2005-11-12, 19:04
mediamonkey has an easy to use excel and csv export feature under files, create reports.

Jim
2005-11-12, 19:11
For me there can only be one piece of software for this - http://www.catraxx.com

It's been available for years, the author really cares about music and recent upgrades have been to include FLAC support (albeit not quite fully 100% want a FLAC user would want, but a few of us are in dialog with the author so expect a upgrade soon). But it will scan an entire folder tree and import the basic tag info into the databse.

You can download a trial copy and play around with it, limit of 50 albums stored.

It might seem a bit too much at first use but then you really get to appreicate that everything you could possibly want to record is there.

I think it costs somehting like $40 new but your registration will last for a long time (about 2 years) but then you can just keep using whatever the last version you could get is. If you wanna upgrade it's something like $10 or $15 and to me it seems to little.

Go check it out, I guarantee it will beat anything else you might look at.

MrC
2005-11-12, 20:50
For me there can only be one piece of software for this - http://www.catraxx.com
Hi Jim,
I wanted to like the software a lot too. I downloaded it the other day, tried to installed, and it failed installation due to some problems with DAO (which I already had installed). There were tons of problems after that, including not being able to quit the app, because some DAO_close routine couldn't run.

I now recall this problem from last year when I did the same. Others have reported it too, but still its left unfixed. Leaving a poor first impression is not so nice.

But many people have good experience with the software. Perhaps I'll try it again someday.

tikiking
2005-11-13, 07:59
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I should have more than enough to get started.

Best,