PDA

View Full Version : Are MP3s the only format Slim Server reads?



tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 10:46
Are MP3s the only format Slim Server reads?

mherger
2005-11-12, 10:59
> Are MP3s the only format Slim Server reads?

Are you serious?!? FLAC, WAV, WMA, Ogg, and some more... What exactly do
you want to know?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 11:08
Um....er....hu....heh.... well yes... I am rather serious! I thought that it was suppose to play Windows .wma files... however it doesn't.

pfarrell
2005-11-12, 11:16
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 10:08 -0800, tonymuffin wrote:
> Um....er....hu....heh.... well yes... I am rather serious! I thought
> that it was suppose to play Windows .wma files... however it doesn't.

I play WMA files from my SlimServer to my squeezebox all the time.
It does. And the newer squeezeboxen can play compressed WMA files
natively. Lossless compressed WMA files have to be transcoded, but I
can't see any reason to have them when you could use Flac instead.

I do this on a Linux (mandriva box) it is far easier to do on Windows.



--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 11:23
so...what's the trick then?

pfarrell
2005-11-12, 11:33
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 10:23 -0800, tonymuffin wrote:
> so...what's the trick then?

Without knowing what you are running, OS, gear, perl, whether you have
installed, it is impossible to debug remotely.

See http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/tips.html
for some tips on Linux and WMA

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 11:38
WindowsXP Pro SP2. Not sure what you mean by gear unless you mean Squeezebox 2. The model just before the brand new ones. I have been using SlimServer for some time now with MP3s and all is well. It's just that I have an ablum that is in WMA. SlimServer lists the album and tracks but does not play them. Nothing happens when play is clicked.

Dan Sully
2005-11-12, 11:43
* tonymuffin shaped the electrons to say...

>WindowsXP Pro SP2. Not sure what you mean by gear unless you mean
>Squeezebox 2. The model just before the brand new ones.

What is the source of your WMA files? Did they come from a music store? Could they be DRM'd?

-D
--
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 14:25
I attempted to rip the So Amazing Tribute to Luther Vandross CD and it required the propriatory software to be installed to do it. However, it would only rip it to .wma and even then it can only please played on the machine the software was installed on. What a piece of junk!!!

MrC
2005-11-12, 14:41
Can you say ... DRM?

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 14:41
OK I give up!!!! DRM?????

Dan Sully
2005-11-12, 14:51
* tonymuffin shaped the electrons to say...

>OK I give up!!!! DRM?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Basically - restricting consumer use of purchased media.

-D
--
<dmercer> Because that is what our industry does.
Churns out useless shit. Followed by inferior re-implementations of useless shit.

tonymuffin
2005-11-12, 14:57
Isn't AnyDVD suppose to remove the security?

radish
2005-11-12, 15:34
Complain to the publisher, take the fake CD back to the store.

max.spicer
2005-11-13, 08:08
WMA files with DRM are not supported. Is that your problem?

Max


so...what's the trick then?