PDA

View Full Version : Wma Vbr

MrC
2005-11-11, 23:18
I thought I understood that WMA VBR files would be sent directly to SB[23] and not transcoded on the server.

I tried a test and created a max quality WMA VBR, and played it. It was transcoded on the server to FLAC and sent at 302kbps.

svn 5163, trunk.

dean
2005-11-12, 07:35
A FLAC transcoded file is likely to have a data rate much higher than
302kbps.

1. How do you know it was transcoded?
2. Have you changed the player format settings?

On Nov 11, 2005, at 10:18 PM, MrC wrote:

>
> I thought I understood that WMA VBR files would be sent directly to
> SB[23] and not transcoded on the server.
>
> I tried a test and created a max quality WMA VBR, and played it. It
> was transcoded on the server to FLAC and sent at 302kbps.
>
> svn 5163, trunk.
>
>
> --
> MrC
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> MrC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=468
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18115
>
>

MrC
2005-11-12, 08:42
Thanks for the fast response Dean.

1) flac.exe and wmadec.exe child processes are started and are working when playing the WMA VBR file, and quit when done. They are neither started nor used when playing a WMA CBR file.

2) No changes to convert.conf.

The track in question shows an 892Kbps bitrate in its tags.

Triode
2005-11-12, 08:48
Is this (or is it being treated as) WMA lossless? At this rate it sound more like a lossless rather than losslessly compressed file [assuming 2 channels at 44.1]

MrC
2005-11-12, 09:13
Well, darn, yes it actually is lossless. I must have moved my mousewheel in WMP inadvertently, changing the setting.

I think I recall that it was only WMA w/DRM that didn't play, but that WMA lossless should work w/out transcoding? Is my recollection incorrect?

Btw. The bitrate in slimserver's web shows the track as 260kbps VBR, but as I mentioned, in WMP, it shows as 892kbps.

Triode
2005-11-12, 09:33
I don't think the firmware supports WMA lossless and hence the server falls back on decoding itself. Sounds like there is a but in displaying the bit rate though.