PDA

View Full Version : Network adapter reconnects every 23 minutes

Risko
2005-11-10, 23:03
Hi,
I just unpacked the new SB3 today, installed the latest SlimServer 6.2 and had not one problem setting it all up.
Everything seems to be in a proper working order, except for one "glitch".
My PC running WinXPpro disconnects and reconnects to the network every 23 minutes and 50-56 seconds.
Event viewer records the following event in the System section: "The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_[463A260E-FECD-4FEA-8B59-19584885246C} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network"

I tried to stop and exit the SlimServer, the same event happened after 23minutes.
New to Squeezebox, ex-audiotron user, please help

clumsyoik
2005-11-11, 03:57
if the problem happens without slimserver running, then it's probably not a problem with slimserver.

What encryption you are using on the wireless network? Does the problem go away when you turn off encryption?

Risko
2005-11-11, 07:00
No encryption used. Router is set to act as a DHCP server. It may not be the SlimServer issue, but looking through the event viewer, it started happening after the SlimServer was installed on my system. Last night i disconnected the SB3 from the network cable (I have the wired version) and closed the Slimserver completely down. This morning i checked the event viewer, the same event repeated every 23minutes and 52-56 sec. I'm lost... I have not make any change to my system other then installed the SlimServer.
Thanks for your input.

radish
2005-11-11, 08:36
Try disabling windows Zero Conf and using the driver software that came with your wireless card. It's quite common for the stuff built into XP to do this - it's looking for other networks which might be "better" than the one it's connected to.

Risko
2005-11-11, 10:43
i apologize, i should've put more specifics about my setup in my first post. everything in my setup is wired, pc to router, sb3 to router. the router is wireless, but all slim components are hot wired. sorry.

radish
2005-11-11, 10:57
i apologize, i should've put more specifics about my setup in my first post. everything in my setup is wired, pc to router, sb3 to router. the router is wireless, but all slim components are hot wired. sorry.

Well in that case I'm truly stumped! I will say however, in agreement with others, that I really can't think of a way SS could be causing this (particularly as it happens when it's not running). But anything's possible I guess... Have you tried restarting the router?

oreillymj
2005-11-11, 11:10
Am I correct in thinking that using DHCP to assign an IP address to something which is going to be used as a server is still a bad thing even with technology like Rendezvous & mDNS.

Anything which is going to be a server (your SB is a client) should have a static IP.

Now I'd be surprised if your router is set to renew leases every 1/2 hour but you never know.

Have you swapped around any network cables during your SB3 install?
I know that 2 identical looking cables can have competely different behavior. You could have swapped in 1 with a dodgy connection.

MrC
2005-11-11, 11:40
The dropped connection seems more like loss of link or link changes. Here's some troubleshooting for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325487

Re: DHCP - I like controlling most settings in one place, but like the static IP. So I use static assignments for DHCP. Best of both worlds.

Its fairly common for 2 hour DHCP leases. After 1/2 that time, a lease renewal would occur. But that IP address would typically remain the same, and would not cause the error message being seen.

Risko
2005-11-11, 12:05
Am I correct in thinking that using DHCP to assign an IP address to something which is going to be used as a server is still a bad thing even with technology like Rendezvous & mDNS.

Anything which is going to be a server (your SB is a client) should have a static IP.

Now I'd be surprised if your router is set to renew leases every 1/2 hour but you never know.

Have you swapped around any network cables during your SB3 install?
I know that 2 identical looking cables can have competely different behavior. You could have swapped in 1 with a dodgy connection.

you are right about the server<->client static IP configuration. that's why i use the static IP address reserve with DHCP, same as MrC noted. i did not setup one for the SB3 though. i will do than next. what confuses me is the fact, that if this was the case and my router was renewing the leased addresses every 1/2 hour, it would be the case prior to the slimserver installation, and my event viewer would have a record of this. however, it only starts the above stated event record, after i installed the slimserver and connected the SB3 to the router.
i truly appreciate all your comments and suggestions

oreillymj
2005-11-11, 12:19
ok, if possible, I'd do the following 1 step at a time.

1) change the network cable into a different network port to rule out a dody port.

2) change the pc->router network cable to rule out the cable

3) reboot the router to eliminate a firmware bug.

danco
2005-11-11, 13:19
On 11/11/05 at 11:05 -0800, Risko wrote
>you are right about the server<->client static IP configuration. that's
>why i use the static IP address reserve with DHCP, same as MrC noted.

I am considering going to a static address on my computer.

It's a laptop, normally connected by Ethernet to a router that is in
turn connected to a wireless point.

What I am not clear about is what would happen if I then disconnected
the laptop and used its internal wireless card (say, for instance, to
make a wifi connection at a hotel). Would the static address cause
problems then? Or would the fact that I was using a different method
of connection override any issues?
--
Daniel Cohen

Michaelwagner
2005-11-11, 13:20
I use DHCP for the machine that the slim server runs on. Never had a problem.

The Slim client searches for the server using one of 2 different techniques, and always finds my server. I even have had 2 servers on the network once (laptop and desktop). It seems to handle that OK.

Mark Lanctot
2005-11-11, 14:24
Daniel Cohen wrote:
>
> What I am not clear about is what would happen if I
then disconnected
> the laptop and used its internal wireless card (say,
for instance, to
> make a wifi connection at a hotel). Would the static
address cause
> problems then? Or would the fact that I was using a
different method of
> connection override any issues?

I do this all the time. It's a pain but all you
have to do is go into Network Connections -
Wireless Network Connection - Properties -
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties and select
"Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS
server address automatically".

You'll then have to change it back after you're
finished.

I suppose you could write a script to do this, but
I'm getting so used to it I can do it in less than
30 seconds now.

--

Mark Lanctot

MrC
2005-11-11, 16:52
What I am not clear about is what would happen if I then disconnected
the laptop and used its internal wireless card (say, for instance, to
make a wifi connection at a hotel). Would the static address cause
problems then? Or would the fact that I was using a different method
of connection override any issues?

Daniel,

Each interface (eg, your ethernet card, wireless card, even modem), have different settings and priorities.

You can setup your Ethernet interface to be static IP'd and your wireless to use DHCP. When you unplug your Ethernet cable and then enable your wireless, the wireless configuration will be used. No problems.