PDA

View Full Version : Repost?



TCM
2005-11-10, 12:30
I've posted this question (about routers) in the beginners forum and I got a couple of answers. Then I thought that I would get more answers here (this forum is more active).


Is there any router (with a reasonable price) that you would recommend together with the SB3? I'm intersted in wired only.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17933

Maybe it doesn't matter which router you use together with the Squeezebox?

/Håkan

Robin Bowes
2005-11-10, 12:49
TCM said the following on 10/11/2005 19:30:
> I've posted this question (about routers) in the beginners forum and I
> got a couple of answers. Then I thought that I would get more answers
> here (this forum is more active).
>
> TCM Wrote:
>
>>Is there any router (with a reasonable price) that you would recommend
>>together with the SB3? I'm intersted in wired only.

Do you mean "router" or do you simply mean "switch"?

If you just want to connect your SB to your server then a switch will do
the job.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

stuorguk
2005-11-10, 13:07
It doesn't really matter, although routers are primarily for connecting to the Internet, which makes your question a little confusing.

Presumably you are looking for a router that has a built in switch/hub so that you can link your SB to your computer.

Tell us more about your setup.

TCM
2005-11-10, 14:26
It doesn't really matter, although routers are primarily for connecting to the Internet, which makes your question a little confusing.

Presumably you are looking for a router that has a built in switch/hub so that you can link your SB to your computer.

Tell us more about your setup.


TCM said the following on 10/11/2005 19:30:
> I've posted this question (about routers) in the beginners forum and I
> got a couple of answers. Then I thought that I would get more answers
> here (this forum is more active).
>
> TCM Wrote:
>
>>Is there any router (with a reasonable price) that you would recommend
>>together with the SB3? I'm intersted in wired only.

Do you mean "router" or do you simply mean "switch"?

If you just want to connect your SB to your server then a switch will do
the job.

R.



OK! I'm looking for a wired router with a built in switch. Right now there's only two computers and hopefully soon a Squeezebox 3 :-D. I'm also planning to get some kind of NAS device in the future. I've just built a house so I don't have too much cash lying around...

Robin Bowes
2005-11-10, 14:44
TCM said the following on 10/11/2005 21:26:
>
> OK! I'm looking for a wired router with a built in switch. Right now
> there's only two computers and hopefully soon a Squeezebox 3 :-D. I'm
> also planning to get some kind of NAS device in the future. I've just
> built a house so I don't have too much cash lying around...

You don't need a router for that configuration - a switch will do the job.

Unless there's something else you're not telling us about?
(Hint: Internet connection?)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

JJZolx
2005-11-10, 15:11
I assume you have an Internet connection at home. If so, I would definitely get a router, as you'll probably want the Squeezebox to be able to access the Internet for 'net radio, either with or without using SqueezeNetwork. For that you'll need a device on your network to do NAT - network addresss translation - which is a simple means of having multiple devices share an Internet connection with a single IP address.

SOHO Internet routers are pretty ubiquitous these days, especially the wired-only ones. Some will have more capability than others - better firewalling perhaps, or maybe a nicer user interface. Some offer a means of connecting a printer ("print server").

But I've always liked the D-Link gear and have had excellent results in about a dozen installations, from homes with two PCs to small offices with up to 10 machines. Something like the DI-604 (same one fathom39 recommended in the other thread) on the following page would be all you need:

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2&sec=0

This is a device you can easily buy used off of eBay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/di-604

TCM
2005-11-10, 16:28
TCM said the following on 10/11/2005 21:26:
>
> OK! I'm looking for a wired router with a built in switch. Right now
> there's only two computers and hopefully soon a Squeezebox 3 :-D. I'm
> also planning to get some kind of NAS device in the future. I've just
> built a house so I don't have too much cash lying around...

You don't need a router for that configuration - a switch will do the job.

Unless there's something else you're not telling us about?
(Hint: Internet connection?)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?


Well, yes, I have an Internet connection (you're picky today ;-D) - I forgot to mention that.

TCM
2005-11-10, 16:44
But I've always liked the D-Link gear and have had excellent results in about a dozen installations, from homes with two PCs to small offices with up to 10 machines. Something like the DI-604 (same one fathom39 recommended in the other thread) on the following page would be all you need:

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2&sec=0

This is a device you can easily buy used off of eBay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/di-604

I've had a look at the D-Link DI-604 before, but I don't know what to make of it. It's quite popular in Sweden, but I can't get a clear picture of how good it is. Some people love and some hate it. At Pricerunner http://se.pricerunner.com/computing/networking/broadband-gateways/browse?sort=5&saved_products=0&autofilter=on&search=&price_min=&price_max=&a_3925=&a_4027=&a_2974=Cable%2FDSL+Router%2FGateway&a_2975=&a_2977=0&a_2978=&a_3012=&a_3013=&a_3014=&a_3015=&a_3016=&a_2990=&a_3017=&a_3018=&a_2996=&a_3002=&a_3010=
http://www.pricerunner.com/?ncr=1

the consumer reviews are very mixed.

What I was really interested in was to know if any router suited the Squeezebox better then the others or if that didn't matter at all.

JJZolx
2005-11-10, 17:06
What I was really interested in was to know if any router suited the Squeezebox better then the others or if that didn't matter at all.
I'd be very surprised if it made any difference at all. Certainly there won't be any that clearly work "better" with the Squeezebox, though you might find someone who's had the odd issue with some router or other.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=113

If you pick up something used, the only thing I'd advise is that you don't get an older 10Mbps router. It won't make any difference for audio streaming, but for PCs or PC-to-NAS traffic you'd want the faster 100Mbps speed of a 10/100 switch.

Mark Lanctot
2005-11-11, 09:06
With wired routers, I'd say it doesn't matter
which one you get. It's more the features you
need that will determine what you get.

Even when I couldn't get my SMC2804WBRP-G router
to work with my SB2 wirelessly, the wired ports
worked perfectly.

TCM wrote:
> JJZolx Wrote:
>
>>But I've always liked the D-Link gear and have had
excellent results
>>in about a dozen installations, from homes with two
PCs to small
>>offices with up to 10 machines. Something like the
DI-604 (same one
>>fathom39 recommended in the other thread) on the
following page would
>>be all you need:
>>
>>http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2&sec=0
>>
>>This is a device you can easily buy used off of
eBay:
>>
>>http://search.ebay.co.uk/di-604
>
>
> I've had a look at the D-Link DI-604 before, but I
don't know what to
> make of it. It's quite popular in Sweden, but I
can't get a clear
> picture of how good it is. Some people love and some
hate it. At
> Pricerunner http://tinyurl.com/dnfpt
> http://www.pricerunner.com/?ncr=1
>
> the consumer reviews are very mixed.
>
> What I was really interested in was to know if any
router suited the
> Squeezebox better then the others or if that didn't
matter at all.
>
>

--
___________________________________


Mark Lanctot
___________________________________