PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox3 wired connection OK, server connection problems with wireless

slimjim
2005-11-10, 08:28
I received wireless version of squeezebox (rev. 3) few days ago. I was able to listen to music, watch scrolling newsfeeds, and display tags in unicode using wired connection via my wireless router using either DHCP or static IP address.

However, when I try the wireless set up, neither DHCP nor static IP setting would connect to the slimserver. Squeezebox seems to have no problem connecting to my wireless network. Following is the sequence of wireless set up using static IP:

Bridge wireless network to ethernet
No
Choose your wireless network (SSID): (1 of 4)
turtle
Choose your wireless encryption: (2 of 5)
64 WEP
Enter Your WEP key:
10-digit Hex
Connecting to wireless network
turtle
Set up networking (2 of 2)
Specify a static IP address
Enter the IP address for this player:
Enter the subnet mask for this network:
Enter the default gateway address:
Enter the address of your DNS server:
Looking for SlimServers
Select a music source
ken (192.168.0.114)
Connecting to SlimServer
Problem: Can't connect to SlimServer

Using DHCP, I get the same outcome. Failing the wireless set up using slimserver 6.2, I tried slimServer_v2005-11-08 nightly build but got the same result.

Since wired connection works, I don't think there is any firewall issues on the PC. I read the FAQ and searched through this forum but others don't seem to have the problem I have. Please help!

Details of my Hardware/Software setup:

PC: Windows XP SP2

Wireless Router: D-Link DI-624 (C type, Firmware rev. 2.70)
MAC filtering on (triple checked MAC address)
virtual server to allow ports 3483 and 9000
(both TCP and UDP).

Windows XP firewall software (Norton Internet Security)
Allow access on ports 3483 and 9000

slimserver (Home / Server Settings / Security)
incoming connections: do not block
allowed IP address: 127.0.0.1,192.168.0.*
CSRF protection level: medium

Andrew L. Weekes
2005-11-10, 10:14
Can I ask you to try something?

Try positioning the SB3 so that the rear of the unit faces towards wherever your wireless access point / router etc. is located.

I appreciate this may not be a practical thing to do in the long term, but try it and see if you can connect, it will give a clue about the problem.

Andy.

MrC
2005-11-10, 10:20
Not that this will help, but is 192.168.0.1 really the address of your DNS server? Are you running one on your firewall? If you're not running your own, you should be using your ISPs (or other) DNS server.

slimjim
2005-11-10, 11:33
Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion but my squeezebox is right next to the wireless router (less than a foot away) to minimize signal strength issues.

seanadams
2005-11-10, 12:08
Try disabling turbo/108 Mbps mode if your router has it

slimjim
2005-11-10, 13:42
Sean,

Yes, that was it! With Super G mode disabled on the DLink DI-624, it works!

Thank you for your response and for your presence in this forum.

Ken

Andrew L. Weekes
2005-11-10, 14:00
"Thanks for the suggestion but my squeezebox is right next to the wireless router (less than a foot away) to minimize signal strength issues."

Ok, I didn't realise that!

Glad it's all fixed now, now you can enjoy the sounds as well as the cool new looks.

Andy.

radish
2005-11-10, 14:45
Not that this will help, but is 192.168.0.1 really the address of your DNS server? Are you running one on your firewall? If you're not running your own, you should be using your ISPs (or other) DNS server.

Just as an FYI, most consumer routers include DNS proxies as well as the usual DHCP server etc. There's no real good reason to use it that I can think of, except that if you use DHCP you rarely have much choice :)

MrC
2005-11-10, 15:25
Thanks for the info Radish. I knew some appliances had proxy's, but didn't know how ubiquitous they were.

Mine does, but I don't use it period, with or without DHCP (I run my own DNS server).

Perhaps its time to create a wiki article on the routers that work, don't work, and what settings are known to be problematic?

mikec
2005-11-14, 10:24
Try disabling turbo/108 Mbps mode if your router has it

I tried this (Netgear router), and it made no difference.

I already posted my sad story in another thread; search "lemon" and you will find it.

avta
2005-11-14, 19:13
Mikec:
I'm not sure I've followed all the threads but have you reset the SB3 to it's original settings? The guide is a bit unclear about this. You have to unplug the unit's power cord, then hold down the ADD button on the remote while you reconnect the power. Go through the setup process again using the regular functions and see what happens. Good luck.

Guy

mikec
2005-11-21, 11:13
Got it fixed...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18238&page=2&highlight=mikec

Post #15

Bailx
2005-11-21, 13:44
I have the exact problem as slimjim, with a few differences, as follows:

My router is a D-Link DGL-4300. Also I use RHEL v4 (64-bit). During testing I disabled all the security, but my sb3 still refuses to work wirelessly (while the sb1 & sb2 work fine with this router). I have the newest firmware for everything, newest slimserver versions etc...

I did a factory reset after upgrading the firmware... still nothing. Repeated the entire process using the 2nd sb3 that i bought, and same results.

I keep getting this odd IP address for the sb3 (169.254.*.*). When it should be inside the LAN/WAN (192.168.0.*). I can force an IP via the router, and it will show up as an internal IP in the router settings, but the sb3 still reports something in that 169.254 range...reminds me of when you use a switch without a router... you get strange IP's like that. BTW that's nowhere near my actual IP on the net either....

EDIT:

I CAN get it to work if i disable the TURBO / speed settings etc. But this is UNDESIRABLE, as I have OTHER PEOPLE ON MY WIRELESS NETWORK..... and they get crappy speeds just so I can get my sb3 to work....

Wishing I had bought a couple more sb2's instead....... it works fine in conjuction with the turbo modes etc...

dean
2005-11-22, 21:45
The 169.254. addresses are automatically picked by the player when it
can't find a DHCP server on your network.

If your new SB3 is having problems where your SB2 isn't, it may be a
hardware problem with the player. Please contact
support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com and we'll help you out.

-dean

saday
2005-11-23, 02:10
Hi

Just received my SB3 and seem to be having the same problem as lots of other people with wireless connection. It works fine on a wired connection but not over wireless. It senses the wlan (and others that aren't mine), connects to the wlan but fails to get a DHCP address, ending up with a default one in the subnet 169.254.x.x

The router is a KCorp Lifestyle KLG-575 with the turbo mode turned off (after reading here). Still no joy. I then tried a Netgear WGT624 (with turbo mode turned off) and still no joy. Always the same behaviour. I am broadcasting the SSID and have no security set at present.

My laptop connects to both routers wirelessly no problem.

Any other suggestions out there...?

Stephen

Bailx
2005-11-29, 13:37
u could get a wireless ethernet bridge... or you could run some cable. not even sure what the return policy is. sucks doesn't it.

kevin
2005-11-29, 15:08
Hi

Just received my SB3 and seem to be having the same problem as lots of other people with wireless connection. It works fine on a wired connection but not over wireless. It senses the wlan (and others that aren't mine), connects to the wlan but fails to get a DHCP address, ending up with a default one in the subnet 169.254.x.x

The router is a KCorp Lifestyle KLG-575 with the turbo mode turned off (after reading here). Still no joy. I then tried a Netgear WGT624 (with turbo mode turned off) and still no joy. Always the same behaviour. I am broadcasting the SSID and have no security set at present.

My laptop connects to both routers wirelessly no problem.

Any other suggestions out there...?

Stephen

Stephen, can you check in view current settings off of the main setup menu on the SB that the MAC address matches the one printed on the label on the bottom of the unit? If it doesn't, can you press right and change it back to the factory assigned one?

RichardGi
2005-11-29, 16:34
I had a similar problem with my SB2 and Linksys router - it eventually transpired that I'd given it an incorrect pass-phrase. It *looked* like it had connected, the router wireless client list knew the SB2 MAC was "connected" but it was just a phantom connection.....

R

radish
2005-11-29, 17:18
It's worth trying a factory reset when you have problems connecting over wireless. This has always fixed it when I've had problems (not uncommon when switching between wired & wireless in my experience). Apologies for those of you who have tried this, I must sound like a broken record ;)

Unplug power, hold down Add, connect power, wait for "Factory Reset", release Add.

saday
2005-11-30, 10:34
I installed a new WLAN card Kevin @ support kindly sent me and the Netgear now works (with turbo turned off of course). But the KCorp still does not work. At least I have wireless now...!

Many thanks
Stephen

dannyg
2005-11-30, 22:41
Hey saday,

I also have a Netgear WGT624 router. I'm sure your problem has to do with not disabling "Advanced 108Mbps features". When it is turned ON, I have the same symptoms you describe. When it is disabled, everything works ok.

Don't confuse this with the MODE setting of "Auto 108Mbps", which works just fine for my system, that is AS LONG AS "Advanced 108Mbps features" is turned OFF (found under ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS).

Also, I would recommend steering clear of DHCP and would assign static IP addresses instead.

See post #60 here for more details....
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18120&page=6