PDA

View Full Version : bridging option

scott_m
2005-11-09, 14:20
Currently I live in a trailer aprox 600 feet from our Nursery office. We have the computer and internet in the office, but not in the trailer. I've managed to get the SB2 (set up in the trailer) to connect wirelessly w/ the office computer and can stream music from that hard drive. This is cool. The question I have is, I have a notebook computer which I'd love to be able use to access the web from the trailer. The dsl and wireless router is located in the office. Since the SB2 is 'connected' with this wireless router, can I use the SB2 as a bridge between the notebook and the DSL router. I've read that the SB2 has a bridging option, but can figure out if this is the same thing or something different. (and I can seem to turn the bridging option on anyway).

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

mherger
2005-11-09, 15:06
> Since the SB2 is 'connected' with this wireless router, can I use the
> SB2 as a bridge between the notebook and the DSL router. I've read
> that the SB2 has a bridging option, but can figure out if this is the
> same thing or something different. (and I can seem to turn the
> bridging option on anyway).

Connect your computer to the SB2 using a crossover cable. Start the SB2
and when it asks to set up the networking, do it. You'll have the option
to turn bridging on.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

radish
2005-11-09, 15:08
600 feet? Wow, that's pretty good range. Anyway, yes you can use the SB2 as a bridge. Hook up the laptop and hold Power to restart. I believe the option to enable the bridge is on that initial setup menu (happy to be corrected!).

seanadams
2005-11-09, 15:09
You need to connect a _crossover_ cable between SB2 and the PC. Then press and hold power to reset SB2, and as you walk through setup it should ask if you want to enable bridging. That's all you need to do - just set up the PC normally as if it were on the main LAN.

scott_m
2005-11-09, 15:34
Okay, sounds like I just need a crossover cable. I'll be thrilled if this works. It will be like icing on the cake.

Yup, 600 ft. The signal strength is between 65 and 70 % It wouldn't work with the stock antenna, however. I had to buy a directional antenna for my router - which it turned out didn't have a removable antenna, so I just stuck it on the SB2 instead. Voila, streaming music. It probably helps that our office is 2x4 walls w/ no insulation and minimal siding, that there is nothing in the 600 ft except for grass and a few trees, and that our trailer is, well, a trailer, without much to impede the signal.

Thanks.

kitschcamp
2005-11-15, 01:46
Connect your computer to the SB2 using a crossover cable. Start the SB2
and when it asks to set up the networking, do it. You'll have the option
to turn bridging on.

Maybe I'm being incredibly stupid (which I guess is possible) but I've tried this several times this morning with the SB3 and I can *see* that bridging isn't set on, but I never get the option to turn it back on.

Player Firmware Version: 27

ceejay
2005-11-15, 02:04
First, you need to be sure that the cable is plugged into something and that there is an electrical link up and running - look for a light showing on the computer LAN card, usually. If not, you may have the wrong cable and the SB will not give you the option.

Then check that you have taken the SB all the way back to the beginning of the setup sequence - hold power down.

Ceejay

kitschcamp
2005-11-15, 02:05
Thanks! I'll check which cable I used and I'll give that a go when I get home tonight. Much appreciated.

mherger
2005-11-15, 02:13
> tried this several times this morning with the SB3 and I can *see* that
> bridging isn't set on, but I never get the option to turn it back on.

RIGHT on the remote? Or PLAY?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

kitschcamp
2005-11-15, 02:18
> tried this several times this morning with the SB3 and I can *see* that
> bridging isn't set on, but I never get the option to turn it back on.

RIGHT on the remote? Or PLAY?

Right, IIRC.