PDA

View Full Version : Display corrupted on power up

LavaJoe
2005-11-09, 08:16
This morning, when turning on my SB2, the display was readable but looked really bad (hard to describe, but the whole display looked like it had correlated noise mixed in with the good pixels, and some especially bright ones were along the left and right ends of the display, but it looked random).

Since I have the SB2 in my car, I thought it was the cold temperature, but it remained that way. The only way to get rid of the effect was to soft reset (hold power button). Note that when the SB2 first gets power, the server is not booted yet (since turning on the car powers both SB2 and computer at the same time), but I've never seen this before.

I am running the 11/7 nightly, and firmware is v. 26.

seanadams
2005-11-09, 08:41
Weird - hasn't happened before, but it sounds like the processor didn't sync with the chip in the display. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

LavaJoe
2005-11-09, 08:50
Weird - hasn't happened before, but it sounds like the processor didn't sync with the chip in the display. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

Is there a known race condition or a known way that could happen under certain conditions? It was about 30 degrees F here when I turned it on - could the colder temperature affect this?

-Thanks, Joe

seanadams
2005-11-09, 08:53
Is there a known race condition or a known way that could happen under certain conditions?

Nope... I've only ever seen that during development while I was initially getting the display interface to work.

LavaJoe
2005-11-15, 22:58
OK, it happened again, and this time I took some pictures (worth 1000 words, right?).

Again, it was cold outside when I powered up (28F or so)- not sure if that has anything to do with it... Soft reset fixed the problem after I took these pictures. Pictures were taken long after things were quite warmed up.

Any clues? Is this a defective unit, or does it just not like to be cold on power-on? Could there be a loose solder joint that gets triggered in the cold?

Thanks for any insight!

kdf
2005-11-15, 23:11
On 15-Nov-05, at 9:58 PM, skyrush wrote:

>
> OK, it happened again, and this time I took some pictures (worth 1000
> words, right?).
>
> Again, it was cold outside when I powered up (28F or so)- not sure if
> that has anything to do with it... Soft reset fixed the problem after
> I took these pictures (I've stacked three screens - the last one is
> paused in "small spectrum and elapsed time" mode).
>
> Any clues? Is this a defective unit, or does it just not like to be
> cold? Could there be a loose solder joint that gets triggered in the
> cold?
>
> Thanks for any insight!
>
temperature range for commercial components is 0-70C (32-158F), so you
might easily be just out of proper operating temperature unless special
effort was taken to build with industrial components. I'd be surprised
if the display was made for outdoor exposure. Self-heating seems to be
enough to get in back into range if a power cycle fixes it after a few
minutes. Hard to say what kind of damage may be going on. It's
possible that it isn't hurting things, but you never know. I'd be
worried about condensation.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-11-16, 01:48
That's exactly the display I got when I had all the hassle trying to get my SlimServer/SB2 system set-up. It's like there's an echo to everything that the display shows, and if I remember correctly it happened when the SB2 was plugged in to a wall outlet. This was at room temperature so the cold had nothing to do with it. I've put it down to some chip initialization error. Thankfully it hasn't happened since.

LavaJoe
2005-11-16, 07:37
That's exactly the display I got when I had all the hassle trying to get my SlimServer/SB2 system set-up. It's like there's an echo to everything that the display shows, and if I remember correctly it happened when the SB2 was plugged in to a wall outlet. This was at room temperature so the cold had nothing to do with it. I've put it down to some chip initialization error. Thankfully it hasn't happened since.

Ah, then it does sound random - did a soft reset clear it?

Sean said, in an earlier post, that it sounded like the processor didn't sync with the chip in the display. Sean, given the pictures I included last night, does this still look like what is happening? Could there be a firmware [timing] fix/tweak? I'm at firmware 27 now, BTW.

I just started it up again this morning - temperature read 22F (lower than last night), and the display was fine. So yeah, maybe temperature has nothing to do with it.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-11-16, 08:51
It happened when I unplugged the SB2 from its intended location, brought it over to sit next to the wireless router, and then plugged it in in order to use the wired section. This was to confirm that the SB2/SlimServer was functioning correctly. Time taken to unplug/replug was no more than a minute.

If I remember correctly powering down the SB2 with the remote's power off button, then powering it back up again didn't cure it.
I eventually unplugged the SB2, waited the ubiquitous 10 seconds, and then plugged it back in to the power outlet. It powered up okay, and has never shown this echoing effect again.

seanadams
2005-11-16, 09:04
Skyrush if you want to send it in for a replacement I could have a look, but there's not much troubleshooting I can do without having the unit in front on me.

Specifically what's happening is there's a flip-flop chip on the display which splits one serial data line into two. It's not getting cleared correctly at poweron. Could be a bad connection or maybe needs a longer preload pulse. One thing you could check would be to make sure that the flex cable is fully seated and clamped down on both ends.

There's possibly a software fix but I'd rather not futs with the driver since your sb2 seems to be a unique anomaly. Try not to leave the unit in that state because there's a small chance it may burn some phosphors.

LavaJoe
2005-11-16, 09:18
Skyrush if you want to send it in for a replacement I could have a look, but there's not much troubleshooting I can do without having the unit in front on me.

Specifically what's happening is there's a flip-flop chip on the display which splits one serial data line into two. It's not getting cleared correctly at poweron. Could be a bad connection or maybe needs a longer preload pulse. One thing you could check would be to make sure that the flex cable is fully seated and clamped down on both ends.

There's possibly a software fix but I'd rather not futs with the driver since your sb2 seems to be a unique anomaly. Try not to leave the unit in that state because there's a small chance it may burn some phosphors.

Hi Sean, thanks for the details. Would it be possible to get a new replacement set of internals? I say this because the outside enclosure finish is a bit scratched by my installation in the car dash, but that does not matter to me (not visible in my installation), so there'd be no need to scratch another new enclosure! I'd be willing just to swap out the internal parts. I can remove the unit from my dash and examine the flex cable, etc., but while I'm in there with my dash dismantled, I might as well have a replacement set on-hand.

seanadams
2005-11-16, 09:19
Hi Sean, thanks for the details. Would it be possible to get a new replacement set of internals? I say this because the outside enclosure finish is a bit scratched by my installation in the car dash, but that does not matter to me (not visible in my installation), so there'd be no need to scratch another new enclosure! I'd be willing just to swap out the internal parts. I can remove the unit from my dash and examine the flex cable, etc., but while I'm in there with my dash dismantled, I might as well have a replacement set on-hand.

I could send you just the display but I don't know that it's not something else. Easier to just swap it out for you.

LavaJoe
2005-11-16, 09:23
I could send you just the display but I don't know that it's not something else. Easier to just swap it out for you.

Right - it would only make sense to have an entire set of internals (mainboard, display, etc.), not just the display for the exact reason you gave. If it's easier to swap the whole unit out, that's fine too. Could a new one be cross-shipped so I can do the swap (out of dash and back into dash) in one session?

seanadams
2005-11-16, 09:26
Right - it would only make sense to have an entire set of internals (mainboard, display, etc.), not just the display for the exact reason you gave. If it's easier to swap the whole unit out, that's fine too. Could a new one be cross-shiped so I can do the swap (out of dash and back into dash) in one session?

I think so please contact support@slimdevices.com

LavaJoe
2005-12-02, 07:53
I think so please contact support@slimdevices.com

Thanks for the cross-ship!

Just to let you know, the old SB2 will be on its way back next week. After removing it from my car (and replacing it with the new wireless SB2 you guys shipped me, since wired ones were out of stock), I powered it up in the house (so, at a warmer temperature), and the display was again corrupted. It had not happened for quite a while, so I was wondering if it would ever happen again...

So feel free to take a look when it arrives and see what might be going on with it (*if* you can make it happen!). If you find out the issue, please post - I'm curious!

Thanks again!

LavaJoe
2005-12-04, 22:19
Thanks for the cross-ship!

Just to let you know, the old SB2 will be on its way back next week. After removing it from my car (and replacing it with the new wireless SB2 you guys shipped me, since wired ones were out of stock), I powered it up in the house (so, at a warmer temperature), and the display was again corrupted. It had not happened for quite a while, so I was wondering if it would ever happen again...

So feel free to take a look when it arrives and see what might be going on with it (*if* you can make it happen!). If you find out the issue, please post - I'm curious!

Thanks again!

I spoke too soon... The new unit has twice exhibited the corrupted display problem as well. I may open the old unit and see if the display connector is not fully seated, as you suggested.

seanadams
2005-12-05, 06:14
It must be something to do with your power supply then. Cars have REALLY noisy power esecially at startup.

You might try putting a much larger cap, say 2200 to 3300uF across the DC input, or try a different PS.

What power supply are you using?

LavaJoe
2005-12-05, 08:54
It must be something to do with your power supply then. Cars have REALLY noisy power esecially at startup.

You might try putting a much larger cap, say 2200 to 3300uF across the DC input, or try a different PS.

What power supply are you using?

I'm using the M1-ATX DC-DC power supply, which takes switched and unswitched DC (from car) and outputs 12V and 5V regulated. It supposedly keeps the output correct over engine starts.

Here's an interesting twist though: after I removed the original SB2 from the car, I plugged it into the standard AC adapter in the house just to do a quick factory reset, and the display was corrupted that one time too (after the reset, it was back to normal). Weird, huh?

One additional note... I also have gotten the corrupt display when the car is in "accessory" mode (not running) and I connect the SB2 power connector - so it doesn't require the car to be starting or running to make it happen.

enduser
2005-12-06, 03:56

There's possibly a software fix but I'd rather not futs with the driver since your sb2 seems to be a unique anomaly. Try not to leave the unit in that state because there's a small chance it may burn some phosphors.This glitch also occurs once in a while with a new SB3 plugged into a wall outlet at room temp.

LavaJoe
2005-12-06, 14:34
This glitch also occurs once in a while with a new SB3 plugged into a wall outlet at room temp.

Sean, is it worth my submitting a bug for this? Sounds like the problem is at least somewhat common and happens in a variety of conditions.

seanadams
2005-12-06, 14:59
Sean, is it worth my submitting a bug for this? Sounds like the problem is at least somewhat common and happens in a variety of conditions.

sure, we'll keep an eye out for it. If there are some steps to reproduce that would be helpful - kevin is going to give me the rma when it arrives.

LavaJoe
2005-12-06, 15:05
sure, we'll keep an eye out for it. If there are some steps to reproduce that would be helpful - kevin is going to give me the rma when it arrives.

OK, sounds good - I'll file it later today. Actually, I'm shipping back the newest one I received and only had in the car for a while, since it showed the problem more frequently than the old one (could have been statistical fluctuation, but at least this one is known to exhibit it). It'll be entering UPS today.

LavaJoe
2005-12-06, 16:34

I just filed:

Bug 2690: Display intermittently corrupted on power-on