PDA

View Full Version : Standard MP3 tags

Rik
2005-11-08, 00:21
I noticed that there are quite a bit more MP3 tags in the MP3-standard than supported by SlimServer. I would like to add conductor and orchestra/choir information to my music by using such tags (e.g. in the three user fields or by misusing other fields). Just displaying in my Squeezebox would be fine (right arrow on the remote gives the list of properties of the track you're browsing and inclusion in that list would be fine). Has anyone ever considered adding such fields? Could that be done?

Thanks,

Rik

jth
2005-11-08, 06:07
Conductor and orchestra (band) are already supported. You can find settings under settings->behavior. I use tage TPE3 and TPE2 for
conductor and orchestra and lump choir in with the title,
although you might choose to put choir in TPE2 and use
the "multiple items in tags" setting.

id3v2 tag info for bach_-_christmas_oratorio_bwv_248_-_gardiner_-_101_part_1.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Johann Sebastian Bach
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248 / The Monteverdi Choir
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Part 1: Coro
COMM (Comments): ()[]: EAC 0.95b2 / LAME v3.97b -V 2 --vbr-new / mp3gain
TCON (Content type): Vocal (28)
TYER (Year): 1987
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TPE3 (Conductor/performer refinement): John Eliot Gardiner
TCOM (Composer): Johann Sebastian Bach
TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment): The English Baroque Soloists
TPUB (Publisher): Archiv
TXXX (User defined text information): (): 423233

Rik
2005-11-08, 11:22
I did find the tags "conductor" and "band/orchestra" in SlimServer. I am a bit confused about both tags and the MP3 standard.

- I use MediaMonkey for tagging. In that application, "conductor" is not available and "band/orchestra" is called "albumartist".

- I tried JJ MP3 renamer. There, I have "conductor" but I cannot access nor see the "band/orchestra" field.

- In SlimServer, both "conductor" and "band/orchestra" are available.

- iTunes uses the field "band/orchestra" for obtaining artist data.

- Windows Media Player uses both but calls it "album artist".

- Collectorz MP3 collector has both fields "conductor" and "band/orchestra" (and they are called that way).

- My MP3 player (creative zen sleek) doesn't know both fields.

Anyone who can explain what I'm misunderstanding? Any hints for the "ultimate" tag edit application?

Thanks,

Rik

JJZolx
2005-11-08, 11:34
I did find the tags "conductor" and "band/orchestra" in SlimServer. I am a bit confused about both tags and the MP3 standard.

- I use MediaMonkey for tagging. In that application, "conductor" is not available and "band/orchestra" is called "albumartist".

- I tried JJ MP3 renamer. There, I have "conductor" but I cannot access nor see the "band/orchestra" field.

- In SlimServer, both "conductor" and "band/orchestra" are available.

- iTunes uses the field "band/orchestra" for obtaining artist data.

- Windows Media Player uses both but calls it "album artist".

- Collectorz MP3 collector has both fields "conductor" and "band/orchestra" (and they are called that way).

- My MP3 player (creative zen sleek) doesn't know both fields.

Anyone who can explain what I'm misunderstanding? Any hints for the "ultimate" tag edit application?
I think your post summarized the situation quite well. There is no standard. Not only does SlimServer have to deal with the 101 ways that 101 other applications interpret id3 tags, it has to correlate those with tags used in tagging systems for other codecs like FLAC, APE, all the Apple types, Windows types, etc. Few of those have any real standards either.

pfarrell
2005-11-08, 11:51
Rik said:

> I did find the tags "conductor" and "band/orchestra" in SlimServer. I am
> a bit confused about both tags and the MP3 standard.

First, tagging is really about ID3 tagging, not MP3 itself.

> Anyone who can explain what I'm misunderstanding? Any hints for the
> "ultimate" tag edit application?

There is no such thing now.
This fact is true for both MP3/ID3 and for Flac/Ogg tags.

Which is one of the reasons behind my postings in the Achive Classical
thread.

Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com

slimzw
2005-11-10, 04:40
rik: tag&rename (www.softwpointer.com) supports both composer and "orchestra or band" tags. it also supports "conductor" and a number of other tags. i use composer, orchestra and conductor tags and select the slimserver option under server settings-behaviour to use these fields when browsing and searching.

Rik
2005-11-11, 00:36
A related discussion is going on here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17877

Thought I'd add it for convenience.

Rik