PDA

View Full Version : Is 500,000K of memory usage normal?

interspectrum
2005-11-07, 19:58
I have 6.2 installed and when slim server is serving music for more then an hour or so, I notice that memory usage acording to Task Manager reports around 500,000k of memory usage. This never seams to be released when I stop playing music. I have to shut down the server and restart it. My music library contains 246 albums with 3630 songs by 180 artists. Is this memory usage normal for a library of this size?

It doesn't seem to hurt performance as I have 1gb of main memory, but it is a bit alarming to see.

seanadams
2005-11-07, 20:20
I have 6.2 installed and when slim server is serving music for more then an hour or so, I notice that memory usage acording to Task Manager reports around 500,000k of memory usage. This never seams to be released when I stop playing music. I have to shut down the server and restart it. My music library contains 246 albums with 3630 songs by 180 artists. Is this memory usage normal for a library of this size?

It doesn't seem to hurt performance as I have 1gb of main memory, but it is a bit alarming to see.

Not normal - should be 40 to 60M (i.e. 1/10th of that).

Can you try watching the usage from the time you start SlimServer - does it go up right at the beginning, or is it steadily increasing?

It may be stuck in a loop scanning your music

interspectrum
2005-11-08, 05:15
Not normal - should be 40 to 60M (i.e. 1/10th of that).

Can you try watching the usage from the time you start SlimServer - does it go up right at the beginning, or is it steadily increasing?

It may be stuck in a loop scanning your music

It sort of crawls up to around 500M. When I start, slim.exe is running at about 58M and then starts to move up slowly. After a couple of hours it will be at 70-80M.

My hard disk is a little loud and I don't hear it scanning the disk, but I do have it set to do a scan for new music at 3am in the morning. I just restarted the server and I will check it when I get home this evening. It shouldn't scan anything during the day.

seanadams
2005-11-08, 11:30
Dan thinks this is a recursive Windows shortcut causing slimserver to loop while scanning. Fixed in the nightlies - culd you give it a try?

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2.1/

JJZolx
2005-11-08, 11:40

My server (perl version) on XP Pro does the same. I noticed it at 240MB the other day, restarted the server and it began again at 55MB. It's back to about 175MB now.

Mister-E
2005-11-08, 11:58
I noticed that when I set "Server Settings/Performance/Keep Unswapped interval" to 1 (thinking it would help performance), slim.exe's memory usage climbed upward radically. Must be a leak? I set "Keep Unswapped interval" to zero and now memory is now stabilized back at around 65k for my 2754 tracks.

Hope that helps. What do you have that parameter set at?

Mr. E

interspectrum
2005-11-08, 14:15
Dan thinks this is a recursive Windows shortcut causing slimserver to loop while scanning. Fixed in the nightlies - culd you give it a try?

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2.1/

I will give it a spin tonight and let you know.

interspectrum
2005-11-08, 14:17
I noticed that when I set "Server Settings/Performance/Keep Unswapped interval" to 1 (thinking it would help performance), slim.exe's memory usage climbed upward radically. Must be a leak? I set "Keep Unswapped interval" to zero and now memory is now stabilized back at around 65k for my 2754 tracks.

Hope that helps. What do you have that parameter set at?

Mr. E

I will check tonight and see. I haven't touched anything in the performance settings so It is the stock settings from when I installed 6.2.

Just a note. When I installed 6.2, I ran the uninstaller and deleted everything in slim root folder. Then ran the new installer.

seanadams
2005-11-08, 14:48
We just found and fixed this today - please get the _next_ nightly.

Michaelwagner
2005-11-08, 18:18
Not normal - should be 40 to 60M (i.e. 1/10th of that).Mine is about 80MB for about 8500 tracks. Half a gig sounds like something pathological has gone wrong.

Jim Holtz
2005-11-08, 19:36
We just found and fixed this today - please get the _next_ nightly.

Hi Sean,

When you say the next nightly, are your referring to the beta 6.5 version? I'm running 6.2.1 with no problems and memory usage of 53K but I do shut my PC down each night so it's restarted daily.

Thanks for a great product!

Jim

Dan Sully
2005-11-08, 19:43
* Jim Holtz shaped the electrons to say...

>> We just found and fixed this today - please get the _next_ nightly.
>
>When you say the next nightly, are your referring to the beta 6.5
>version?

Both the 6.5 and 6.2.1 nightlies.

-D
--
"A good messenger expects to get shot." --Larry Wall

interspectrum
2005-11-09, 09:40
Ok, I think whatever you guys did fixed the problem. I updated the software this morning and for the last several hours the memory usage has not moved. It is at 60,147K. I can live with that. Before, the usage would have climed to 70-90K in this time frame.

I will check again after it does its scheduled scan tonight.