PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox/multiroom/separate outputs digital and analog possible?

stoobie-doo
2005-11-06, 20:04
I have a different question about using a Squeezebox in a multiroom setup. Can I send two separate outputs via the digital and analog connections to allow the digital to go to the main room and the analog to go to a multiroom output

ceejay
2005-11-07, 01:36
AFAIK the digital and analog(ue) outputs are both active at all times, no problem with using them for whatever takes your fancy...

Ceejay

Michaelwagner
2005-11-07, 07:23
On the hardware page on the slim web site, it says:

Audio outputs (general)

Digital and analog outputs
All RCA connectors are gold-plated
Volume control is provided for all outputs
Multiple outputs may be used at the same time However, there aren't separate volume controls for each output ...

stoobie-doo
2005-11-07, 10:22
Maybe I wasn't clear with what I was asking. I assumed that digital and analog outputs were always active, like in most devices I have. What I wanted to know was whether I could send a different stream to each, i.e., my music in the main room, my wife's music to the study with one box.

radish
2005-11-07, 10:24
Maybe I wasn't clear with what I was asking. I assumed that digital and analog outputs were always active, like in most devices I have. What I wanted to know was whether I could send a different stream to each, i.e., my music in the main room, my wife's music to the study with one box.

No - one stream per device.

ceejay
2005-11-07, 10:33

Ahhh. As Radish says, no. This is why so many people here have multiple Squeezeboxes! And why there's a rebate for buying two SB3's at the moment...

Ceejay

snarlydwarf
2005-11-07, 11:13
Ahhh. As Radish says, no. This is why so many people here have multiple Squeezeboxes! And why there's a rebate for buying two SB3's at the moment...

Well that and that the remote is completely useless if you can't see the display...

(My boss, unclear on the concept, suggested I just run looong speaker wire to the bedroom and use an IR extender instead of using 2 Squeezeboxes... I think he finally grasped how useless it is to try to use the remote for anything except 'next', 'volume' or 'on/off' when you can't -see- what you're choosing.)

abdomen
2005-11-07, 12:56
As others have said, no. However, your post inspired me to dig up an old post from Sean Adams. I have pasted the link below, followed by the excerpt I was recalling.

Again, I am just posting this as a tangent of possible interest. The functionality you mention does not seem at all likely to materialize (for good reasons, such as the display/usability problem already mentioned in this thread).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=31463&postcount=2

Everything below this line is a ** POSSIBLE MAYBE SOMETIME DOWN THE
ROAD **.
--------------------

- The hardware has SEPARATE DATA PATHS for s/pdif and DAC outputs. We are not using this capability now (both are fed the same data), but it could be used perhaps for some interesting multi-channel applications. For example, we could output the encoded digital stream to a surround receiver, and also output a 2-channel stereo rendition to the DAC.