PDA

View Full Version : sqeezebox with multiroom???

tracker
2005-11-06, 05:27
I am thinking of buy a sqeezebox 3 but have some questions.

First if I have five rooms can I buy 5 sqeezebox's and have a Ethernet cable running from each room to a switch which would be connected to my server, if yes would they all run independantly E.G have different music playing in different rooms?

Also can I put a sqeezeboxe in a wall?

I noticed that a PDA with WIFI can be used as a remote for the system, so could I use a m2000 telephone (PDA) and use it as a remote?

Also can anyone tell me if the wireless system is any good or is it worth running Ethernet cables to the sqeezeboxes (Be honest)?

danco
2005-11-06, 12:32
Wireless can work fine even with several SBs, but there are a lot of variables and it can be a problem to work out what's happening if you do have difficulties.

If you can stand having cables running all over the place, wired is much safer.

tracker
2005-11-06, 12:42
thanks danco, Anybody know if you can put a sb3 in a wall?

Maditude
2005-11-06, 17:03
tracker wrote:

> Also can I put a sqeezeboxe in a wall?

Depends on how handy you are, I suppose... I'm aware of a few people who've done so with the original squeezebox.

> Also can anyone tell me if the wireless system is any good or is
> it worth running Ethernet cables to the sqeezeboxes (Be honest)?

Well, if all of your walls are already finished and painted, it probably wouldn't be worth it. But if you are still in the building/planning phase, then I would heartily recommend running ethernet cable. It's easy and cheap to do yourself (well, as long as you aren't cutting into existing walls).

Michaelwagner
2005-11-07, 07:30
The problem with wireless is other people. :-)

Like the man said, there are so many variables.

The next door neighbour will, in the next year, buy either a microwave oven, a portable phone, a garage door opener or a wireless doorbell. At that point, you have to be adept debugging the problem, finding another set of wireless channels that don't conflict (because the neighbour won't know how to reprogram his phone) and don't conflict with the neighbour on the other side who had his phone before you got your slim and also doesn't want to move.

Or you can put the wires in. Easy in a new build, harder in a retrofit.

For another question, yes, you can have different music playing in each room.

I can't answer your PDA questions, I have no experience in that area.

abdomen
2005-11-07, 08:19
thanks danco, Anybody know if you can put a sb3 in a wall?
If you search, you will find at least one example of an in-wall SB2 installation (it was in a bathroom; can't remember where I saw it). There is no question that you can mount an SB3 in a wall; I think the trick is to identify the best approach. You might want to keep an eye on the following thread (I now I will, in preparation for a home renovation project next year):
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17829

danco
2005-11-07, 09:51
Just a thought. There are other possibilities apart from conventional wired or wireless.

Several people have tried (I have not done so myself) and been very satisfied by "ethernet over power" (Homeplug). The newest version seems to be just out, and is supposed to be faster than 802.11b wireless.

tracker
2005-11-23, 09:56
Has anyone tryied nine squeezeboxes at the same time??? How good is it? Any distortion?

ceejay
2005-11-23, 15:09
Has anyone tryied nine squeezeboxes at the same time??? How good is it? Any distortion?

You won't get any distortion. You may hit one of two limits - network bandwidth (less of a problem with wired), and the server's ability to keep up. In either case you might get dropouts.

To calculate network bandwidth think of the bit rate of your chosen stream (say 1Mb/s for FLAC, much less for MP3) divided into the real available bandwidth (say 50Mb/s for wired 100Mb lan).

The server will keep up better if it doesn't have to transcode: so make sure your files are in a format the SB can handle directly - MP3, FLAC or (now) WMA.

Search the forum - there was a thread a while ago about how many boxes one server could handle, and the answer was quite a lot (certainly more than 9).

Ceejay