PDA

View Full Version : ReplayGain in iTunes?



eschurr
2005-11-05, 19:29
Does anyone know how to generate volume adjustments for files in iTunes?

I understand that MP3Gain will calcualte ReplayGain tags for many files at once and the SS 6.2 (with an SB gen 2 or 3) will make use of these tags. If your files are in iTunes, SS and SB will make use of these tags, but iTunes (and iPods) won't because, as I understand it, iTunes uses a different tag for volume adjustments.

However, i believe that the iTunes volume adjustments will also be recognized by SS 6.2/SB 2. So, if there's a way to generate the iTunes tags en mass, they will be used by both iTunes and SS/SB.

Is there a program that will calcualte the adjustments and do it to many files at once?

Thanks

dean
2005-11-05, 20:15
iTunes will do this for you automatically if you turn on the option
in Preferences -> Playback -> Sound Check. It goes off and does the
calculation for your whole library.


On Nov 5, 2005, at 6:29 PM, eschurr wrote:

>
> Does anyone know how to generate volume adjustments for files in
> iTunes?
>
> I understand that MP3Gain will calcualte ReplayGain tags for many
> files
> at once and the SS 6.2 (with an SB gen 2 or 3) will make use of these
> tags. If your files are in iTunes, SS and SB will make use of these
> tags, but iTunes (and iPods) won't because, as I understand it, iTunes
> uses a different tag for volume adjustments.
>
> However, i believe that the iTunes volume adjustments will also be
> recognized by SS 6.2/SB 2. So, if there's a way to generate the
> iTunes
> tags en mass, they will be used by both iTunes and SS/SB.
>
> Is there a program that will calcualte the adjustments and do it to
> many files at once?
>
> Thanks
>
>
> --
> eschurr
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> eschurr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=2007
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17902
>
>

jlynch3
2005-11-06, 05:12
These are replay gain tags? I've never been that impressed, sonically at least, with SoundCheck.

dean
2005-11-06, 09:46
They are the equivalent, they record an output gain value to adjust
the volume of the whole track. When you say "sonically" do you mean
that the calculated level is wrong or that the audio is somehow
distorted?

On Nov 6, 2005, at 4:12 AM, jlynch3 wrote:

>
> These are replay gain tags? I've never been that impressed,
> sonically at
> least, with SoundCheck.
>
>
> --
> jlynch3
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> jlynch3's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=465
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17902
>
>

eschurr
2005-11-06, 14:05
What type of algorithm does iTunes use to produce them? Is it a good algorithm? i've read how there are different algorithms, some using peak values and others doing a better job of "smoothing" the values.

eschurr
2005-11-06, 15:07
Another question:

i find a "use sound check" option in iTunes for playback, but does it just adjust songs dynamically as it plays them or does it write the sound adjustment tags to the files so that SlimServer can use them, too?

i also see a "sound check" option when burning an audio CD, but that won't help me. I need a way to write volume adjustment tags to my entire library of files.

If i can make this work, I will buy an SB2.