PDA

View Full Version : Swapping wireless card? (repost)

Daryle Tilroe
2005-11-05, 19:15
(This is a repost. After many months I just came over from the other side/mailing list and realized I wasn't posting to the same 'discussion' group/forum I was reading.)

I just wanted to know if there were any gotchas when swapping a wireless card from one SB/SBG to another SB/SBG? Basically I want a wireless SBG and I believe swaping the wireless card from a wireless SB to a wired SBG is simpler than swapping the display from the wired SBG to the wireless SB. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

kdf
2005-11-05, 19:25
On 5-Nov-05, at 6:15 PM, Daryle Tilroe wrote:

>
> I just wanted to know if there were any gotchas when swapping a
> wireless card from one SB/SBG to another SB/SBG? Basically I want a
> wireless SBG and I believe swaping the wireless card from a wireless SB
> to a wired SBG is simpler than swapping the display from the wired SBG
> to the wireless SB. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
>

the wired SBG models were built without the cardslot for the card, so
it really is easier to swap the display.
You just have to cut 3 wires in the right place, disconnect the old
display, connect the new one and slip a prepared wire over the remnant
of one of the wires you cut. this is probably easier (and certainly
cheaper) than soldering a pccard connector onto the board.

-k

Daryle Tilroe
2005-11-07, 21:22
the wired SBG models were built without the cardslot for the card, so it really is easier to swap the display.
....this is probably easier (and certainly
cheaper) than soldering a pccard connector onto the board.

Oh! Really? I was under the impression that for the SB1 and SBG the only difference between the wired and wireless was the population of the cardslot not it presence. Now I really have to open them up to see for sure; but it's good to know that I will probably have to be prepared to swap displays.

kdf
2005-11-07, 21:43
On 7-Nov-05, at 8:22 PM, Daryle Tilroe wrote:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>>
>> the wired SBG models were built without the cardslot for the card, so
>> it really is easier to swap the display.
>> ....this is probably easier (and certainly
>> cheaper) than soldering a pccard connector onto the board.
>>
>
> Oh! Really? I was under the impression that for the SB1 and SBG the
> only difference between the wired and wireless was the population of
> the cardslot not it presence.

That is why it wasn't possible to get a wired and upgrade later. They
are rather costly connector assemblies, so i can certainly understand
the value of leaving it out when offering a reduced price version.
-k

seanadams
2005-11-07, 21:50
Instructions here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/display_upgrade.pdf

It's really easy actually - the only tool needed is a pair of wire snippers. The torx driver is included. Unfortunately, we ran out of stock on these kits a long time ago. If you can find one, go for it.

Don't bother with converting wired->wireless. the PCMCIA connector, while not excruciatingly hard to install, is difficult to find because it's built to a custom height.

Daryle Tilroe
2005-11-07, 22:50
Well it looks like kdf and Sean are wrong. This must be a first! ;-) I appear to have a rare, collector's edition, SBG wired that has the pcmcia connector without a card in it. I don't know if I should upgrade it or sell it on ebay :-D. So it appears that I can now swap the card only by soldering on the external SMA antenna connector. It would be about as difficult to swap the displays since I would have to solder header pins for the IR connector on the SBG board and a jumper wire on the graphic display going into the SB1. However I guess I could also ask if slimdevices has spare cards to sell and I can just leave the SB1 (and the hot glued card) alone.

seanadams
2005-11-07, 22:56
Hah! you lucked out. :)

Find a standard prism 2.5 or prism3-based pcmcia card and you're set.

Daryle Tilroe
2005-11-07, 23:01
Hah! you lucked out. :)

Once in a while it happens.

Find a standard prism 2.5 or prism3-based pcmcia card and you're set.

So you guys don't have any hanging around (and/or the cute little antenna extenders) you could sell me with along with the 2 new SB3s I'm probably buying in the next week?

seanadams
2005-11-07, 23:19
Once in a while it happens.

So you guys don't have any hanging around (and/or the cute little antenna extenders) you could sell me with along with the 2 new SB3s I'm probably buying in the next week?

I don't know... but for an SB3 customer we will look. :)

Jacob Potter
2005-11-08, 10:35
Speaking of cards... My late-beta SB2 has the Mini-PCI connector, and
I've been wondering if it would be possible to upgrade it to wireless.
Might there be any left-over SB2 card/antenna assemblies available?

- Jacob

notanatheist
2006-01-14, 01:10
Is there a list of supported cards? Intel, Atheros, RALINK? What mini-pci card can I add to my SB3 and are the antenna connections present?

seanadams
2006-01-14, 02:42
Is there a list of supported cards? Intel, Atheros, RALINK? What mini-pci card can I add to my SB3 and are the antenna connections present?

SB1: Intersil Prism 2.5 or Prism3 (PCMCIA)
SB2/3: Atheros AR2413 (Mini-PCI)

It's easy enough to find the cards - the challenge is going to be antennas/cabling and whether the card connector is present.

notanatheist
2006-01-14, 11:28
After seeing internal photos from a "mod" post I open mine up and there is a mini-PCI. Personally I prefer wired since "it just works" but like knowing the option is there.

Thanks for the reply.

mpjohnst
2006-01-30, 15:18
Is it possible to upgrade the card in my wireless SB3 to one that supports 802.11a? I haven't had a single drop out but when it's playing, my cordless phone is all crackly. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch and fantastic product! I absolutely love it.
-Matt

seanadams
2006-01-30, 16:41
Is it possible to upgrade the card in my wireless SB3 to one that supports 802.11a? I haven't had a single drop out but when it's playing, my cordless phone is all crackly. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch and fantastic product! I absolutely love it.
-Matt

It would probably be easier to get a 5GHZ phone but...

there is a possibility that an Atheros 802.11a card would work - it's been a LONG time since I've tried it though.

gregklanderman
2006-01-30, 17:39
>>>>> seanadams <seanadams.22h1xb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> there is a possibility that an Atheros 802.11a card would work - it's
> been a LONG time since I've tried it though.

Sean, on a related note, any way to upgrade my SB1 wireless to support
something better than WEP, and preferably 802.11*g* while I'm at it?

thanks
Greg

mpjohnst
2006-01-31, 01:22
It would probably be easier to get a 5GHZ phone but...

there is a possibility that an Atheros 802.11a card would work - it's been a LONG time since I've tried it though.
Yeah, unfortunately I just got a whole setup a few months ago with 1 base unit + 4 handsets. Considering how congested my apartment building is already, I thought I would approach it from the other angle.

Thanks I may give a try sometimes if the phone static becomes unbareable. Would it just be a drop in replacement?
-Matt

seanadams
2006-01-31, 09:08
Yeah, unfortunately I just got a whole setup a few months ago with 1 base unit + 4 handsets. Considering how congested my apartment building is already, I thought I would approach it from the other angle.

Thanks I may give a try sometimes if the phone static becomes unbareable. Would it just be a drop in replacement?
-Matt

Now that I think about it, the 802.11a atheros card I'm thinking of would probably be too long to fit in SB3. It would probably fit in SB2 though. Connectors are the same. Our driver would probably see it but I'm not sure if it would run in 802.11a mode. At any rate, we don't really want to support folks changing out the wireless card because the compatibility issues are extremely complex. Besides, 802.11a not so good for our purposes - the superior range and non-line-of-sight performance of 802.11g make it preferable.