PDA

View Full Version : Apple iTunes store playback

Graham Lacey
2005-11-04, 22:28
As a beginner, I can't playback to a squeezebox a download from
Itunes store. I have rescanned. Is it copy protected in some way ?

Gralay

kdf
2005-11-04, 22:33
On 4-Nov-05, at 9:28 PM, Graham Lacey wrote:

> As a beginner, I can't playback to a squeezebox a download from Itunes
> store. I have rescanned. Is it copy protected in some way ?
>
Apple controls all songs from the store the Digital Rights Management.
No tracks from iTunes store will play on Slim Devices hardware, nor any
hardware that isn't made by apple or temporarily licensed via the
isntallation of iTunes.

-k

ovonrein
2005-11-05, 04:47
A visit to http://www.hymn-project.org will sort you out. Illegal, obviously, according to the record industry. But no more so than any freedom movement that railed against (abuses of) feudal rights before it.

You'll just love iTunes. And I would not be the least bit surprised to one day learn that Apple management turned a blind eye to their staff giving HYMN a leg-up. Have you seen the latest numbers of on-line music sales? There's the moral hazard right there :)

Only thing that does really surprise me is some people in other threads seriously considering encoding in WMA over FLAC. (Why did Slim ever bother to put it on the SB3? Open WMA is readily converted into a zillion open formats (that WMP itself will handle and play), and the DRM files that you get from their MSN store won't play either way...) Myself, I am wondering whether XP was going to be the last version of Windows that I ever ran before switching to DRM-free LINUX. All I have read about DRM on Longhorn has me petrified for the portability of my very own (tax etc) data - never mind my music.

Off my soap box now ;)

Jim
2005-11-05, 04:53
You can never accuse Apple of not playing fair. OK, you can't play low quality music you bought from their store on your Squeezebox :(

But to keep everything balanced you also can't play high quality FLAC music you ripped from your collection in their iTunes :)

ovonrein
2005-11-05, 05:21
OK, you can't play low quality music you bought from their store on your Squeezebox :(

That's a fair point bearing in mind when using iTunes: the quality is not *that* great to start with...